News Disney to heavily reduce Capital Expenditures in the parks throughout 2020 during COVID-19 crisis

Lilofan

Nothing new, was already happening way before corona hit.
I remember when DHS had an idea about 16 years ago to have an after park close special event Villians night. The offer was anyone guest in the park could stay and take advantage of the first Villians event. When the locals found out about it, the park was at capacity, the roads to DHS were clogged for hours to get into DHS and exit DHS and cast members late to work or couldn't even go home for hours since Buena Vista Drive was at a standstill. DHS got smarter and future Villians special event night is a separate paid admission to enjoy the festivities.

Disney.Mike

Go check out the responses on March 24th. Plenty of people thought I was nuts and Disney had plenty of money to get all this stuff done regardless of a short term virus. Why the parks would be open by May no problem.

I'm not arguing that people had their hand in the and. They did.

But anyone who took an honest look could have seen this coming.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That it is...but the sections of the stadium are disproportionate.

I’d love it if we accepted the trips you lobsterbacks take each year. It would be great.

American business spends the majority of its time trying to shrink those things as “losses”....
We set the standard in nonsensical backwards thinking
Obviously I have a lot of friends in and outside the company over there. It still beggars belief hearing of their.... condensed holiday planning. Either we’re very lucky or you’re very unfortunate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember when DHS had an idea about 16 years ago to have an after park close special event Villians night..
It wasn’t after park close. That was the start of their issues.

However, I was in the park from early afternoon and had the most amazing time. For no extra cost.

And THAT fireworks display.... still the best Disney display I’ve seen.

For no extra cost.

Disstevefan1

In short WDW didn’t see a marked increase in attendance when DAK opened.

One reason why we won’t see a 5th park anytime soon.

I think we can all agree they gotta finish the money pit that is EPCOT right now! There are walls everywhere!

I wish they did not stop work, I would rather they kept working in EPCOT through the shutdown, keep EPCOT closed during the phased reopening to speed up the work in EPCOT and reopen when its done and phases are complete and WDW is back to full capacity.

They could make an even out of it!

Alice a

All the arguing about Mario and Pokemon re: Nintendo's popularity is missing a huge point- the Legend of Zelda series is a masively-popular, multi-generational game with numerous titles listed as 'Best of' while making buckets of money and selling insane amounts of merch, easily up there with the Star Wars fandom, and without any of the infighting.

I love Harry Potter, but I would move to Orlando if a decent Zelda-land opened.

Its also perfectly set up for expansive lands - look at Breath of the Wild, alone- who doesn't want to explore that? It's the whole M.O. of the game. Let me walk around hyrule finding koroks, Universal!

To stay on-topic: any news of updates on what's delayed indefinitely vs.holding with a plan to finish as soon as possible?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

All the arguing about Mario and Pokemon re: Nintendo's popularity is missing a huge point- the Legend of Zelda series is a masively-popular, multi-generational game with numerous titles listed as 'Best of' while making buckets of money and selling insane amounts of merch, easily up there with the Star Wars fandom, and without any of the infighting.

Its also perfectly set up for expansive lands - look at Breath of the Wild, alone- who doesn't want to explore that? It's the whole M.O. of the game. Let me walk around hyrule finding koroks, Universal!

To stay on-topic: any news of updates on what's delayed indefinitely vs.holding with a plan to finish as soon as possible?

Keep your eye on the Lost Continent apparently, once Epic Universe opens to a massive crowd.

lazyboy97o

Eigth Voyage of Sinbad was closed to prepared for Hyrule. The project was stopped in favor of a more aggressive timeline for Epic Universe.

UNCgolf

Zelda isn't that profitable; it's not even in the same conversation as a property like Star Wars. People love the games, but they haven't actually sold that many copies (Breath of the Wild has sold the most in the series by far and it was still only the 5th best selling game overall in 2017).

Pokemon is easily the biggest seller for Nintendo (although Nintendo only owns 1/3 of it). Again, I'm not saying Zelda wouldn't be a useful property for Universal (it definitely would), but Zelda on its own just isn't comparable to Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

aliceismad

I hope they come up with some cool interactive stuff for Pokemon.

My kid is in kindergarten. They all know Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.

peter11435

I hope they come up with some cool interactive stuff for Pokemon.

My kid is in kindergarten. They all know Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.
I think it depends on a lot of factors. One of my kids is in kindergarten and he and his friends know about Pokémon but have never heard of Mario or Zelda.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom