News Disney to heavily reduce Capital Expenditures in the parks throughout 2020 during COVID-19 crisis

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a consumer, can I expect a decrease in prices?

(I know, I know...absurd thinking)
I doubt it. Cheapie Chappy mentioned “pent up demand” in a “limited opening” capacity during the earnings call yesterday...

They feel they can charge the normal prices at a minimum is my read if that:

It also goes in line with their recent DVC announcements...they seem in no way motivated to “get people there” That requires any breaks.
One of the decreases that will happen is variety of lack of park offerings.
Yes indeed...101% guaranteed
No way...not even close.
It hasn’t been the smash hit that Disney has never claimed it to be. At best it’s been “Middling” to this point.
It increased the sales per person. That’s more important than attendance.
Price increases do that...they’ve never claimed it’s due to higher consumption or even attendance.
Through discounts and promotions...yes.
Not so sure of that...at least not until the true depths of the depression we’re entering is known.
I’m not “old,” and, for the record, I grew up with Nintendo playing robocop, Mario, etc...Star Wars is way more of a “culture” than Nintendo could ever be, domestically.
So you’re a cranky Gen Xer?...boy I hate it when I see those 🤪
Negative. Star wars is for weird people. I remember I got stuck at Hollywood studios during a star wars weekend it was horrifying.
Star Wars is the single biggest license IP franchise ever...I think you’re showing your lack of age by tossing it on a heap like the hundreds of others. It is unique...but has been mismanaged.

Last edited:

No Name

I don't think WDW had any specific huge thing to launch at the same time as EU's opening.

Instead, they've been upgrading the parks with a whole park's worth of new stuff. Such that, when EU opens and they say, look at all our new lands and rides and night show and hotels and restaurants; WDW can say, "yeah, we added the same amount of stuff these past years... and it was all available way before you opened. And we're still adding more."

Are you forgetting about the additions to the existing Universal parks? When all is said and done (assuming their plans don’t change), Universal will have added substantially more than Disney over an equal time period. Even if you count replacements too, Universal will still have likely done more.

DVCakaCarlF

I doubt it. Cheapie Chappy mentioned “pent up demand” in a “limited opening” capacity during the earnings call yesterday...

It also goes in line with their recent DVC announcements...they seem in no way motivated to “get people there” That requires any breaks.

It hasn’t been the smash hit that Disney has never claimed it to be. At best it’s been “Middling” to this point.

Price increases do that...they’ve never claimed it’s do to higher consumption or even attendance.

Not so sure of that...at least not until the true depths of the depression we’re entering is known.

Star Wars is the single biggest license IP franchise ever...I think you’re showing your lack of age by tossing it on a heap like the hundreds of others. It is unique...but has been mismanaged.
I’m better qualified as a millennial, but I have been accused of being both “old” and “angry.”

No Name

Did Avatar and FoP bring more bodies into WDW, or just bring more bodies over into AK??

Attendance increased at the other parks and annual attendance went up by about 3 million after two years at DAK. It’s arguably been more successful attendance-wise than any investment at WDW this decade, including all of the DHS investments combined.

In short WDW didn’t see a marked increase in attendance when DAK opened.

One reason why we won’t see a 5th park anytime soon.

Perhaps that’s because the park opened with three rides, and it’s resemblant of the historical pattern when a new park opens, just a bit more severe. Overall resort attendance has since gone up considerably, which wouldn’t have been feasible without DAK.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you forgetting about the additions to the existing Universal parks? When all is said and done (assuming their plans don’t change), Universal will have added substantially more than Disney over an equal time period. Even if you count replacements too, Universal will still have likely done more.
Penguin is right that they were adding a lot over a four year span...but not looking that Iger did bout nothing prior for a decade except replace the menus and ticket booth signs frequently.

Wdw was stagnant by choice...actually degrading as they shuttered things for the first time ever. This is catch up more than anything.

Universal...much lower starting point...has clearly won the 2010-present period. Luckily Disney was constructed better by the prior regimes to start with.
I’m better qualified as a millennial, but I have been accused of being both “old” and “angry.”
Well I am an angry Gen Xer...so GET OFF MY LAWN!!😡

twilight mitsuk

Remember when people said Star Wars land was going to be crazy popular to the point you didn't need to advertise yet the crowds didn't show up to that level like expected.

Whereas a coaster for HP had ten hour lines for days.

We don't know how popular things are going to be until they come out.
rise of the resistance had sold out BGs for days too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Attendance increased at the other parks and annual attendance went up by about 3 million after two years at DAK. It’s arguably been more successful attendance-wise than any investment at WDW this decade, including all of the DHS investments combined.
I think there’s no doubt avatar has moved the needle more..but a caveat that 2019 wasn’t spectacular for attendance neither was 2020 going to be...

They were turning the screws on people and playing out the end of a bubble economy and things were flattening...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
rise of the resistance had sold out BGs for days too
During a heavy attendance period of the year in a still underwhelming park. And the BGs of course weren’t “sold”...they eliminated the line and that was gonna guarantee they were gonna go...you’re limiting choice/opportunity and that puts a run on it.

The ride is good...but wdw customers are always desperate for anything...especially at Christmas. I have seen zero evidence from Disney that Star Wars caused a spike in attendance on either coast..:

Maybe that will be the case in the end...but no hint so far.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

If we are going to be honest, everyone is a little weird...especially those of us who go to Disney properties more than once a year.

That's not weird. Weird is star war fans dressing up and glorifying whatever those characters are. I'm still dismayed at the people I see talking themselves with dolls.

No Name

Penguin is right that they were adding a lot over a four year span...but not looking that Iger did bout nothing prior for a decade except replace the menus and ticket booth signs frequently.

Wdw was stagnant by choice...actually degrading as they shuttered things for the first time ever. This is catch up more than anything.

Universal...much lower starting point...has clearly won the 2010-present period. Luckily Disney was constructed better by the prior regimes to start with.

Even if you start counting from 2017 until Epic Universe’s opening, as currently scheduled, Universal will still have done more. No discredit to Disney, they’ve done a fair share. Just a fact.

That's not weird. Weird is star war fans dressing up and glorifying whatever those characters are. I'm still dismayed at the people I see talking themselves with dolls.

Weird is relative.

disney4life2008

During a heavy attendance period of the year in a still underwhelming park. And the BGs of course weren’t “sold”...they eliminated the line and that was gonna guarantee they were gonna go...you’re limiting choice/opportunity and that puts a run on it.

The ride is good...but wdw customers are always desperate for anything...especially at Christmas. I have seen zero evidence from Disney that Star Wars caused a spike in attendance on either coast..:

Maybe that will be the case in the end...but no hint so far.
I agree 100 percent. But there are many who fail to see anything different.

disney4life2008

Price increases do that...they’ve never claimed it’s due to higher consumption or even attendance.

Star wars is garbage. I can say what I want

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star wars is garbage. I can say what I want
You have the right to be wrong and spout nonsense without wisdom or context too...

That seems to be a generational thing.

For instance - in an interaction, nobody believes they’ll change your mind...but sometimes it’s useful to ease back on our own stances and take 30 seconds to consider another angle. It’s better conversation even if we both end up back in the same dugouts....

But whatevs

No Name

So, that's essentially the exact info I transmitted back on March 24th. I would say my contacts were rock solid on that one.

I wouldn’t say anything there is exact. You made a pretty obvious general conclusion that the company confirmed. No matching details of specifics yet. But go ahead and pat yourselves on the back!

disney4life2008

Says an adult who is arguing about Star Wars on a silly Disney fan website. Hmmmmm. 😂 Ridiculous indeed.
You have the right to be wrong and spout nonsense without wisdom or context too...

That seems to be a generational thing.

For instance - in an interaction, nobody believes they’ll change your mind...but sometimes it’s useful to ease back on our own stances and take 30 seconds to consider another angle. It’s better conversation even if we both end up back in the same dugouts....

But whatevs

Nah I'm good. Nice try though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom