News Disney to heavily reduce Capital Expenditures in the parks throughout 2020 during COVID-19 crisis

disney4life2008

Did Avatar and FoP bring more bodies into WDW, or just bring more bodies over into AK??

Honestly I did not see any boast in traffic to either. Disney tried to do nighttime offerings for animal kingdom including the embarrassing nighttime safari. While waits did get longer, the park still is not over bearing.

I do think star wars land brought more bodies.

disney4life2008

SSE's fairly creaky and definitely needs some major maintenance (and from what I hear, space mountain as well). Hope these attractions just don't get shuttered while waiting for a $$$ rebound. :(

I think sse will be delayed. They have done substantial work on Galaxy and rat and need that for the 50th.

FullSailDan

In short WDW didn’t see a marked increase in attendance when DAK opened.

One reason why we won’t see a 5th park anytime soon.

There's really no compelling reason to have a 5th park either. The existing parks have plenty of room to grow into, and there would be a much higher ROI by building additional capacity without slathering on massive overhead costs. Until Disney reaches a point where they are out of room, or need to provide a different product offering, there's just no good reason to consider it.

ppete1975

In short WDW didn’t see a marked increase in attendance when DAK opened.

One reason why we won’t see a 5th park anytime soon.
As much as i enjoy AK, when it opened there wasnt a ton to do (didnt expedition everest open later?) and the theme wasnt something that would really pull people in (my opinion only) if they had opened a star wars park, a villians park, a classic disney park or a million other things i think they would have seen a bigger number. It just seemed disney opened a zoo and people werent that excited.

ppete1975

I know we've had some debates on here about this before and I'm really curious how it turns out. My gut feeling is that Nintendo is massively popular in Japan but not nearly as much in the US. I think there is a cohort of people in the US - maybe late 20's to 30's now - where Nintendo IP is more well know and regarded but that older folks don't know them as well as the youngest generations have been brought up on Playstation and XBox. How has the Switch done in sales compared to the other consoles? Most families I know seem to have a PS4 or XBox One more than a Switch but that could just be a small sample size bias.

I'm very curious as to see the response when Epic Universe opens. I do believe Mario has a big fanbase, just not as widespread as other IP in the US
my nephews (11-13)would disagree with you :) i think nintendo is hugely popular in the under 30 demographic... maybe under 40

Imagineer45

Did Avatar and FoP bring more bodies into WDW, or just bring more bodies over into AK??
The parks seem to each average low annual attendance growth (less than 5%) every year. The year of Pandora debuted saw normal attendance growth at Epcot/MK, slightly negative attendance loss at DHS, and well-above-average growth at DAK. So, while some bodies were moved from DHS to DAK, more new bodies than average were added as well.

I know we've had some debates on here about this before and I'm really curious how it turns out. My gut feeling is that Nintendo is massively popular in Japan but not nearly as much in the US. I think there is a cohort of people in the US - maybe late 20's to 30's now - where Nintendo IP is more well know and regarded but that older folks don't know them as well as the youngest generations have been brought up on Playstation and XBox. How has the Switch done in sales compared to the other consoles? Most families I know seem to have a PS4 or XBox One more than a Switch but that could just be a small sample size bias.

I'm very curious as to see the response when Epic Universe opens. I do believe Mario has a big fanbase, just not as widespread as other IP in the US
I do not know the US only figures, but Pokemon is the highest-grossing media franchise of all time globally and Mario is the 9th highest. Pokemon is rumored to be headed to USF, while Mario will go to EU.

ToTBellHop

As much as i enjoy AK, when it opened there wasnt a ton to do (didnt expedition everest open later?) and the theme wasnt something that would really pull people in (my opinion only) if they had opened a star wars park, a villians park, a classic disney park or a million other things i think they would have seen a bigger number. It just seemed disney opened a zoo and people werent that excited.
None of Asia was open. But they did have the boats around Safari Village...

WDW Pro

On a good night it was very good. I’ll give it that.

Martin knows this, but just to clarify for those of you looking into the matter... one of the issues is that whenever you raise capacity or crowds at Disney World, your capacity/crowds almost must increase for Magic Kingdom. This because while many people will visit Disney World to go to Magic Kingdom, almost nobody goes just for any of the other parks. They're all secondary or tertiary experiences. So no matter what you do to lift the burden on Magic Kingdom, you simply can't because it is seen as the quintessential experience. And frankly, after the hub expansion, it's getting harder to find ways to expand Magic Kingdom. If the economy restores to working order in a year, then sure, you could presumably put in the theater behind Mainstreet and create a permanent, second pathway... and yes, there's the expansion pad in Adventureland that gives you more capacity... but many of the other expansion areas require significant work to prepare.

So why do you want Animal Kingdom to hold crowds into the night? It isn't necessarily for revenue purposes (although that's a small bonus). The real reason is to try to limit people leaving your other parks to cram into Magic Kingdom in the evening. The monorails, the ferries, the path widths... none of it was every meant to handle the amount of demand MK creates. That's why the past several years have been about bolstering the other parks; it's to get MK some relief hopefully. But I'm not sure that has been successful.

Club Cooloholic

The parks seem to each average low annual attendance growth (less than 5%) every year. The year of Pandora debuted saw normal attendance growth at Epcot/MK, slightly negative attendance loss at DHS, and well-above-average growth at DAK. So, while some bodies were moved from DHS to DAK, more new bodies than average were added as well.

I do not know the US only figures, but Pokemon is the highest-grossing media franchise of all time globally and Mario is the 9th highest. Pokemon is rumored to be headed to USF, while Mario will go to EU.
What my son will want to know is, which park gets Kirby? Also don't they own Sonic now too(perfect for a coaster)?

UNCgolf

I think that you are vastly under valuing the Nintendo IP, which is not 1 IP like Toy Story but is a brand with multiple IPs like Marvel or even Disney itself. Of these family of IPs you have a trio of surefire groups that will almost certainly be massive hits:

Mario-the one everyone thinks about and the one poised to be the first land as he should, but he is not all that Nintendo owns

Zelda-the top selling adventure game of all time, this brand awareness is at an all time high due to the recent release of Breath of the Wild (and a sequel is on the way) as Disney well knows, high fantasy in theme parks is a major crowd pleaser. Universal will likely be looking into this franchise next after Mario gets off the ground.

Pokemon: This is the ace in the hole, this is the top selling brand of all time. It’s translation into theme parks is not as cut and dry as Mario and Zelda but even if it’s just meet and greets and merch it will still sell like hot cakes

Outside of those three IPs who could support lands themselves Nintendo has other IPs that are popular enough to support a ride:

-Donkey Kong
-Splatoon
-Metroid
-Kirby

Nintendo is the most beloved video game company of all time, and has the potential to be bigger then Harry Potter or Star Wars.

I think you're dramatically overestimating Nintendo.

It's very successful in the video game world (although not as successful as stuff like Grand Theft Auto), but it doesn't even compare to things like Harry Potter and Star Wars.

UNCgolf

Nintendo is still very popular with kids. My friends kids love Mario. The Switch has become the best selling console of all time and the release of Animal Crossing mixed with covid19 has made people joke that Nintendo is secretly behind covid19 because of how insanely successful it has been.

Unless Universal bungles the land with less than stellar rides (I dont know anything about the project here although a friend is working on the one in Japan and I guess I could ask them) it could potentially be the most popular land in that park when it opens. And honestly it has the potential to exceed any Disney IP.

The Switch isn't even close to being the best selling console of all time. Again, Nintendo is very successful, but Sony dwarfs them in video game related revenue.

This is one of those things where there are a lot of people very passionate about Nintendo, but they're a bit myopic in not looking beyond their own group. Nintendo will absolutely be helpful for Universal, but comparing it to Harry Potter is silly. Harry Potter is several levels beyond Nintendo in popularity, sales, etc.

Touchdown

I think you're dramatically overestimating Nintendo.

It's very successful in the video game world (although not as successful as stuff like Grand Theft Auto), but it doesn't even compare to things like Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Grand Theft Auto t-shirt, tv show, movie or could I name a character in that franchise but I’ve seen a ton of Nintendo IPs. Mario and Pikachu are right up there with Mickey for most well known fictional characters on the planet. What’s the grand theft auto version of Pokémon Go?

Besides, a crime riddled city isn’t my exact idea of a world I want to see in a theme park. I can’t wait to strap into a go kart and throw a red shell at someone though. I think that Nintendo is going to easily translate to a theme park environment and be incredibly fun, which is what will make it very popular.

UNCgolf

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Grand Theft Auto t-shirt, tv show, movie or could I name a character in that franchise but I’ve seen a ton of Nintendo IPs. Mario and Pikachu are right up there with Mickey for most well known fictional characters on the planet. What’s the grand theft auto version of Pokémon Go?

Besides, a crime riddled city isn’t my exact idea of a world I want to see in a theme park. I can’t wait to strap into a go kart and throw a red shell at someone though. I think that Nintendo is going to easily translate to a theme park environment and be incredibly fun, which is what will make it very popular.

I didn't say I wanted Grand Theft Auto in a theme park, but Grand Theft Auto V sold 120 million copies. Breath of the Wild has sold around 18 million. Nintendo's best ever selling game was the original Super Mario Brothers which came packaged in with most Nintendos, and that was still only about 63 million.

Mario and Pokemon are absolutely big properties and should definitely be a boost for Universal, but they're just not comparable to a property like Harry Potter.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Infrastructure is continuing for Epic Universe as seen by the aerial overview photos coming out.

Theme Park building is halted.

Road and site work continues. I'm guessing this is mostly the county/state putting in the roadways they promised and what you can see from aerial shots.

Universal Orlando’s new Epic Universe theme park will be delayed because of coronavirus pandemic

Universal is stopping construction of its Epic Universe theme park in Orlando as its parent company stands to lose $500 million in profits if the parks remain closed for the entire second quarter, Comcast executives said Thursday.

The new park was set to open in 2023, the company previously had disclosed, although Comcast CEO Brian Roberts did not say how much delaying construction impacts the project’s overall timeline. Universal Orlando officials did not immediately respond to an Orlando Sentinel request for more information.

The Comcast chief gave an update on Epic Universe during a first-quarter earnings call Thursday that showed Universal’s theme park revenue plunged 32% to $869 million compared to the same time period in 2019 when revenue hit nearly $1.3 billion.

Comcast, which owns NBCUniversal, shut down its Japanese park in late February followed by the U.S. parks in mid-March. Overall, Comcast posted $2.1 billion in net income, a 40% dip from 2019. Earnings per share were $0.46, down 40%.

Comcast stock fell early Thursday as executives warned more second-quarter losses were expected.

If the parks remain closed through June, the theme park division stands to lose $500 million in profits, said chief financial officer Mike Cavanagh.

The company acknowledged they do not know when their theme parks will reopen again in the United States. Currently, Orange County and Florida leaders are meeting to discuss how Universal, Disney and other businesses can safely take in customers again. In Central Florida, as of Thursday’s latest counts, nearly 4,000 people have tested positive for the highly contagious virus while 126 have died from it.
The immediate priority will be safety, not pushing big attendance, Cavanagh stressed.

Roberts spoke of the theme parks’ strength, calling it one of Comcast’s moneymakers in the past decade.
“There is no doubt that our theme parks will reopen, and when they do, I believe we’ll benefit from strong pent-up demand,” Roberts said, calling them "historically resilient.”

Epic Universe comes as Universal invests heavily into its theme parks division to expand its footprint in Orlando in addition to Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the Volcano Bay water park.
In other Universal construction projects, the opening date for the highly anticipated Super Nintendo World in Japan is expected to be delayed by a few months. However, in China, Universal’s new Beijing park is “amazingly” on time and on budget to open in 2021, Roberts said.

Roberts assured investors the company is in good position to navigate the coronavirus as it has more than $15 billion in liquidity. Like many companies, Comcast has raised money through debt offerings to have more cash on hand.

While the Universal Orlando hotels and parks remained closed, the company paid full wages to workers through April 19. Starting April 20, the company began paying 80% of their regular wages although it maintained health care coverage for those who already had it. Universal in Orlando employs about 25,000 people.

Starting Sunday, Universal Orlando part-time workers will get furloughed. Universal has pledged to automatically enroll them in Florida’s unemployment system which has been burdened with payment delays and problems of employees struggling to access it.

Comcast has also committed $500 million to help its employees dealing with the hardship.
Walt Disney Company and SeaWorld Entertainment are both expected to release their earnings next week.
Site development and roadworks will continue, valued at around $300 million.

Touchdown

Wii Sports at 82 million is the top selling Nintendo game (not counting Tetris). However there are 6 Nintendo titles in the top 10 best selling of all time, curious to hear why you think a set of IPs that have been popular not only in video games, but also TV, comics and even movies (even though they are mostly bad, Dectective Pickachu aside) can’t beat a series that at the time of opening was only known by its books and movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom