The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY

Orange Cat

@TheOriginalTiki Pufflefan’s guest reviews this project leaves me speechless, its one of those projects that my appreciation for can’t be expressed in words, though I’ll still try. I just want to say that this is a great story & well it may not be the best fit for an Imagineering project, it definitely could be a full-fledged, quality, novel with some expansion. I haven’t had time to read the other projects yet, but I bet that this will be my favorite, even if it isn’t very well-suited for a comp like SA6. I won’t go in-depth into the story as it’s really something that can only be understood when you read it & you really have make your own conclusions. But as far as my opinions go, I think it’s great

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay so here's the 'Part 2' of the reviews - first was 'reactions', this will be more reason based. I'm mobile right now but will come back for final thoughts later.

@TheOriginalTiki after reading it a 2nd time it's going to make for an interesting and successful novel down the road, but I just dont see how it fits as an imagineering project for this prompt. So in that respect it is very tough to 'review' when a large majority of the project is backstory to a land that I get snippets of through the prose, but I think my first reactions still hold that it needs more 'imagineering' to be in contention - especially as it relates to the Mumbai park. Even if the project was split half novel half land it would benefit.

@D Hindley so the one thing about this project is the traditional route. Last night I thought that would be a potential negative but thinking about the park as a whole (that we all created) much of it goes the traditional MK route. So it really wouldn't make sense for a future expansion to divert away from that. Because if traditional was a bad thing then we should have knocked ourselves for including traditional Adventureland Fantasyland Tomorrowland etc. In final thoughts I'll wrap up this review

@Disney Dad 3000 I still really enjoy the attention to detail and feel that the smaller individual parts of the project are really strong. The shopping expansions of year one, leading up to bigger attractions later on. The one thing I'll still have to come back to in final thoughts is that connective tissue between the additions and how it enhances the park's original vision as a whole.

----
Something I just thought of would be the possibility that whichever project wins, the other two projects get some aspect of theirs included in Mumbai, whether a small shop from DDads, or an addition from Doug's, or a store or shop that includes a backstory piece from Tiki novel - I think theres a way to have parts of these be added to whichever project wins!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
pi reviews.png

First off, let me just once again say how honored I have been to be a part of this game. I would like to thank my fantastic co-hosts for putting up with me over the last year and doing some truly great work this season, but all the comics, prompts, and goofy plot twists mean nothing without people like you! The players! This wonderful cast with unprecedented levels of excitement and activity, even as the world is in a weird place, are the ones who make this game and this forum something special. A community I’ve been proud to be a part of for 3 and a half years now. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for being a part of this. Every guest judge, every player, every spectator, everyone involved… Thank you.

Now, lets get to the reviews!

@TheOriginalTiki

As usual with your solo stuff this season, this project is gonna be a bit of a challenge to review.

Usually when I write reviews I have a steady process. I start by reading through the projects. Not skimming, but quicker readings. Then, I go split screen. I have a Google Doc on one side and the project in the other. I do bullet points and they are basically my “real time” reactions and thoughts as I thoroughly read through the project. I try to be very “train of thought” in my reviews and take you through my thought process step by step as it evolves. Then, I do a final skim just to double check I didn’t miss anything.

Of course, this project simply can’t be reviewed this way. Like you said, this format can’t be skimmed. And it really needs to be viewed as a whole, so the “train of thought” style review really doesn’t work at all.

This is all to say, this review will be different from how I usually write them. I’m not sure if this will wind up being longer or shorter than the others, but I’ll make sure to cover all my main thoughts.

This presentation is incredibly clever! Your writing is amazing! I gotta say, I was skeptical at first when I saw you taking this, pun intended, novel approach to the project. Though I liked it a lot! Of course, there are downsides to it. This presentation style comes with some incredible highs and some definite downsides. Whatever happens with the game, I definitely would love to see more of this story!

It is impressive how much of the actual theme park side of things was able to be communicated. Subtly woven into the narrative. There’s the obvious stuff like describing the twists to classic flat rides like the swinging pirate ship and the bouncing ferris wheel which are all very fun and clever. But it is the smaller stuff weaved in that sells it for me. Describing the cast member costumes for the land as making them all look like circus freaks. Having an in-universe explanation for Disney cutting down the budget by reusing sets and floats. This definitely wasn’t a perfect way to describe a theme park land, but it is impressive how much was able to be described.
I love the Midway Mania attraction! That to me was the stand out ride!
The Tunnel of Love was great too, but for all the build up, I expected more from it. Maybe “more from it” is the wrong phrasing. Because it is a truly grand ride. But more of a direct connection to the story. Symbolically, it is a wonderful tie in to the novella. But practically speaking, 90 percent of the “real life” guests won’t know the whole story to see the symbolic meaning behind it. And the literal meaning is a great tribute to famous boardwalks, but is that enough for an anchor attraction? Is there enough story being told with it? I was spending this whole time expecting the Tunnel of Love to be where the story of Saltwater and Sally to be brought to life! Which it was symbolically (Going from touring the famous piers together, to a fantasy dream world that becomes a nightmare). But I wish there was a bit more of the larger story of the land being told here. It would’ve made sense in the story too, Saltwater is exactly the kind of character whose grand attraction would star him and his love and her boyfriend as a villain. The kind of guy who might even spend his nights staring his own animatronic in the face reflecting on the fake persona he’s become. It could’ve been this incredibly interesting meta-narrative with several layers at play that could allow even the most casual of park goers to better appreciate all the effort put into this great, complex story. While proving even more challenging and rewarding an experience for more knowledgeable fans.

Overall, the Tunnel of Love is still a great attraction. I just wish it felt more fully connected to the story on every level considering it is the anchor for the land, the climax of the novella, and what the whole project is leading to.

The Midway ride is a great example of a ride working on every level with the story. Everyone can appreciate the ride as a midway ride. Those paying at least a bit of attention can see the story of Ha Ha Helen being told. Those knowing the whole story of the land can see how this ride and Ha Ha Helen’s tale tie into the grand narrative at play.
Changning topics a bit, starting with the timeline in your intro post was a good choice. It really does a great job establishing important “real life” info up front before starting on the story. A bit more of the “real life” and imagineering side would have been appreciated though. The way you tease each new addition makes the land’s roll out and pacing really clever. You use the five year timeline to full advantage even if you only focus on the one land which usually isn’t the best set up for a timeline like this. But you make it work for you to improve the story and to create a viral marketing set up!

It is tough for me to review the actual writing too much as I’m far from a literature expert. I love film and storytelling, but I’ve very rarely studied beyond more visual mediums. Even with my love for Great Gatsby (Which honestly, Great Gatsby and boardwalks are two of my favorite things, find a way to tie Arrested Development and Over the Garden Wall in and it would be like this was written directly for me lol), I’ve only ever seen the newer movie version. Never read the book. I’m just not a huge reader. So, I don’t know if I’m really qualified to review a novella. Honestly, a big part of why my reviews are coming so late in the day is that I’ve spent a lot of time trying to properly review this.

What you have is great! You have a real knack for making these characters come to life. A real talent for adapting your writing to all these different formats and giving each character their own unique voice. Perhaps a bit too referential to your influences at times or on the nose with the green light reference for a full novella, but for a non-traditional imagineering project, it works really well as it, for lack of a better term, dumbs it down a bit. This is a very dense project, having some things spelled out is needed, even if for a regular book there might be one too many times you name drop Verne or that having a literal green light might be a bit too unsubtle. But this story is great and so are the characters.

The pacing of it is really good too! That is perhaps the thing that impresses me most. It reminded me of the Tiger King (which I finally watched. Carol Baskins definitely killed her husband). Not just because of the crazy characters who all find themselves living in a shack working for an over the top mad man in what is very nearly a cult. But because the pacing! Each chapter adds a new layer, new characters, new reveals. Teasing more and more the larger parts of the plot. Teasing more meaning. Each chapter building on the last and building to the next while still feeling like it tells its own story. I was constantly excited to see what would happen next! You’re a talented writer. Whether that leads to a full novel, or some experimental episodic storytelling experiment, I’m excited to see where it goes. (Maybe a scripted episodic podcast similar to Magnus Archives of someone trying to find out exactly what happened at Dream Pier doing research and building the story more and more as time goes on).

Overall, the writing was top notch and many aspects of the park were great! But this might not have been the best way to describe a theme park land and it leaves me wanting more about the land and how it ties into the park. A map maybe, even a quickly done map in Google Slides, in the intro post. Maybe a bit more talk about the practical imagineering aspects as to how this differs from the controversial Paradise/Pixar Pier beyond a backstory that it isn’t clear how it is told in the park itself.

Will the incredible highs of this project as a narrative make up for its shortcomings as an imagineering project? Time will tell. But whatever happens, this will be sure to be a memorable project and a highlight of the season!

@D Hindley

First off, flip book projects are some of my favorites! And this land is just incredible! There is so much to love here and so much that is well done. The only negatives I’ll be mentioning are basically nitpicks. Honestly, the only real issues with this project are comparisons to the other finalists. Your magazine is great! But once you get past the cover, it is mostly just a regular project done in a really visually clever way! In comparison, DDad did a very similar presentation style, but had more touches that made it feel like a magazine like a larger, magazine style intro and an ad in the middle. Your land concept is great! But it isn’t quite as out of the box as Tiki’s land (Not that out of the box is necessarily better as we’ll discuss).

That makes this project another one that is tough to review, because much of my review is going to be variations of me saying “This is Amazing” with the only real drawback being either mostly meaningless nitpicks or very specific areas where the other players did a similar thing and it gets compared. Your project may be the most solid overall, but will it have the same “peaks” the other two have.
  • Getting into the project itself, I gotta start by saying that the art is just stunning. The castle (which I think is a new drawing? Unless I just don’t remember it), the completed map, the visuals on the page backgrounds, the visual design of the magazine, the logos, the use of strong reference photos throughout… This is an incredible looking project and a true testament to your visual talent which goes far beyond just being an amazing artist in your drawings. If you aren’t getting paid for some form of graphic design or art/visuals focused work, you should be!
  • The intro from Bob Chapek was really well done and a nice touch. A Table of contents is always a great way to set up the major aspects of a project in an organized way. Makes the project very clear and gives players some good context right off the bat.
  • Holy crap that map. It is just… wow.
  • Year 1 additions are all very strong and a good way to start off. I feel like the hub additions don’t have the strongest tie to the Crossroads theme, but visually they would be a wonderful transition from the street to the hub. I wish more parks had a Blue Sky Vault type preview center for major expansions they add!
  • The Independence Day Celebration is a great touch that really shows how connected you are to this culture and how knowledgeable and respectful you are of it! Reusing the props from the temporary train display was a great touch and even retroactively fixes my issue from my review of the train ride that the temporary display seemed too grand to be just a temporary diorama for a few years. Not only does it make your project better, it improves other projects!
  • Year Two is another solid year. Things like the carousel and the potion shop are good low key additions that do a good job helping to round out Fantasyland. Runaway Railway looks like an incredibly fun ride and the colorful, over the top style of it seems like a great fit for Mumbai! I don’t think it fits in where it is though. I would’ve wanted a bit more about how it either fits into the hub’s theming or the Mary Blair/International theming of the CRossroads. As it stands, it feels just kind of tacked on. You wanted the ride here (And for very good reasons, it looks super fun and is a perfect fit for the resort), but you didn’t really find a way to smoothly integrate it. Which is one of the things that stand out more since one of the highlights for DDad’s project is a version of this ride custom made to fit into the park.
  • Year Three is where this project really starts to take off though! Wildernessland begins! The thought and care and passion on display here is incredible! The way you describe how this fits into park and connects to other lands (like the way it balances Adventureland)... It is astounding! Even little touches like finding a name that works well for Mumbai while still making sense for American guests.
  • As I’ve said before, a version of Frontierland is the “safe” choice. It is rounding out the park with the usual, expected fifth major land. This comes with pros and cons. The obvious con is that it isn’t as exciting feeling initially as some ideas and you know the basics of what it is going to be right away. You can usually expect tall tales and a mine train through a mountain and a riverboat. Probably an island to explore and a quaint animatronic show, maybe a subland loosely inspired by New Orleans Square or Critter Country. All of which are on display here in some form. But there are a lot of pros too! The biggest being that the “safe” choice is “Safe” for a reason. It is a good choice. And a realistic one. This is probably what they would do in real life, and for good reason. Any version of Frontierland is a visual stand out in its park and it is a tradition for a reason! At the end of the day, a “safe” idea is not a bad idea. It comes with drawbacks, but overall they are “safe” because people love them. And it is clear from the passion in your writing that you love this theme!
  • Also, Mumbai has been all about using a very familiar framework to do new and creative things! Each land has been a very new take on a classic land. It only seems right that the expansion should continue this tradition.
  • New Orleans Waterfront is a good way to start. It perfectly transitions between Adventureland (which would feel equally at home as a subland there in Mumbai) and Wildernessland. I might not be the most crazy about Princess and the Frog, but it would transition to a theme park incredibly well. New Orleans as a theme for a theme park mini-land/sub-land has already been well established and proven over in California. The bright colors of New Orleans and the musical atmosphere are a perfect fit for Mumbai’s mission statement. Plus, the darker twists will be a great way to balance out the colorful party. The more I think about this section, the more I love it!
  • Little touches like having a smaller, more interactive shop and a bigger, more broad shop here help it feel even more real and make the land feel more balanced. Same with the dining too and how it balances heavy theming and light themed alternatives.
  • Escape from the Other Side is exactly what I want from a trackless dark ride! It tells a simple story that is all focused on visual spectacle and atmosphere! It bases itself from a quieter act 1 that sets the mood, to a crazier act 2 that ramps up the fun and excitement, to grand act 3 that wraps things up and helps show off the characters from the movie in a smooth way. This is exactly how I want to see trackless rides be written. It even avoids my commonly seen personal pet peeve where I read about a trackless dark ride project and find myself thinking “why make this trackless if you don’t do anything with it?” The added touch of making them false boats was nice. As was the little detail about it being able to quickly drain in case of evacuations. A lot of practical thought at play here.
  • Year Four takes us to Yukon Valley. The bulk of Wildernessland as well as the most traditional section. “Curry Westerns” was not something I really knew about, but goes to show the continued thought and care at play here! The focus being more on tall tales and legends also solves the persistent problem of finding a way to transition from the frontier to Fantasyland. This transition would be so smooth you’d hardly even notice until you saw the castle!
  • The subtle Brother Bear tie-ins with Harvest Longhouse is a great touch, as is the food. I really wanna try an Indian fusion Thanksgiving meal now. A Spicy cornbread stuffing using Indian seasonings I don’t know the names of but I know are delicious that my sister cooks with sometimes would be amazing!
  • Windwagon Snacks would be very visually striking and a great set piece. The Mystery Shack might feel slightly out of place since it is more modern feeling than the rest of the land, but I love Gravity Falls and I feel like the Shack would work really well in the parks even completely separated from the show.
  • Tall Tale Island is a truly clever and amazing evolution of the classic Tom Sawyer Island. I’m not sure if it does enough to quite fix the practicality issues for the islands in a modern Disney Park (the capacity of the boats meaning that you need to dedicate nearly an hour on a busy day just for traveling back and forth from a collection of A-Tickets making it be a consistent question of whether it is worth it). But this is the type of real life issue that is seen often in the parks with these islands and it doesn’t have an easy answer. Especially considering how much an “island” adds to the visuals of the land and the atmosphere and how fun of a gimmick it is! It is another section of the project full of pros and cons. But I believe the pros outweigh the cons here.
  • The Fearsome Critters Musical Review is a very fun addition! I seem to remember you doing something similar in a SYWTBAI project with a cryptid themed expansion to Frontierland. But what is impressive is that while I remember you covering similar territory, none of these attractions are reused or feel recycled. It all feels built from the ground up from the park. Which tells me that this is a clear passion project full of things you have been interested in for a while. You’re a real Squonk fan! And it shows!
  • Bigfoot Mountain Railroad is another great twist on a classic! Using the Cosmic Rewind ride system is a great touch. Getting a headstart on the new ride system being overused in armchair imagineering once it debuts like all new ride systems do for the first year or two (kidding, mostly. There has been like 8 attractions this season described as “Rise of the Resistance or Runaway Railway Inspired” lol). Light teasing of the forum aside, this is a great ride and a great choice for the ride system! It would be beautiful and intense and fun! Thoughts to practical questions like maintenance on the big animatronic are great! My only real concern here is the name. It is a silly concern, but “Bigfoot” just doesn’t give off an imposing vibe. The myth has become too much of a joke. Even in popular Disney properties like Goofy Movie and Ducktales. A simple change like calling it “The Sasquatch” would have improved it I think. Of course, this ride is in a park in Mumbai, so that issue is probably much smaller over there than it would be here, where it is still a pretty small issue.
  • Year Five brings us the final additions! The Paddleboat would be a great update to the classic Riverboat ride. Always a relaxing journey. Plus, perhaps more importantly, an amazing set piece for the land that would add a TON of kinetic energy and breathe a TON of life into Wildernessland. Things like the boats and the island are neat, but their best qualities are really all about how they improve the land they’re in!
  • Rivers of Wonder would be a great show to compliment the more major nighttime spectaculars of the park! I love Rivers of Light and the only real problem with it is that it lacks the excitement and energy to anchor a lineup of nighttime entertainment. It would be PERFECT here to compliment one though!
  • The expansions to New Orleans are a great way to cap this project off. This is a really great, unique take on Pirates that I think would continue Shanghai’s tradition of using the IP as a way to build a stand out technical marvel! If even half of this ride would work as well as I’m picturing it, this would be THE new attraction Disney fanboys would never shut up about for the next 3 decades! This might be the closest I’ve seen to an F-Ticket ride that doesn’t feel like it pushes the bounds of realism too far! The story telling is great, the spectacle of it all is great, everything about it is top notch! Honestly, my only issue is a rather small one. Didn’t the movies already do a quest for the Fountain of Youth in one of the forgettable sequels? You keep the movie connections subtle, so it isn’t a big deal. But it might confuse the 17 people who watched and enjoyed Pirates 4 or 5.
Overall, this was a great project! A few elements that have a mix of pros and cons and a few elements are similar enough to stand out elements from other player’s projects to invite comparison. But this was a truly great project born from a clear passion! Will the passion and top quality work be enough to compete against the incredibly outside the box thinking of the other finalists? Time will tell.

@Disney Dad 3000

Your work is always interesting to review because often the stuff you create is amazing in really subtle ways. It doesn’t always seem like an obvious stand out from first glance or from just skimming. Your art is great, but usually isn’t as flashy. Often with your art looking almost too real (Like the Arabian Nights poster from earlier this season that I’m still not convinced you didn’t steal from an alternate timeline D23). Your ideas are incredibly creative, but usually not anything too wild. These aren’t problems, in many ways these are your strengths. You perhaps have the best realism in the game and have a near perfect balance of that realism with creativity. Your work is the type of stuff that might easily fade into the background for casual observers, but that doesn’t make it bad. I’ve known you were incredible for years now! But it wasn’t until I started reviewing your work this season that I really saw how strong an imagineer you were and appreciated it.

I say all of this, because your final project perfectly reflects this. At first glance, it might just seem simpler and shorter than what D did. It might just seem not seem as exciting and unique as Tiki’s project. But the more I dig into it, the more impressed I am. Someone casually skimming might make the mistake of writing you off right away. But, much like you as an imagineer in general, this project has so many layers and is so subtly brilliant that you really need to take a good look at it to truly appreciate it. And there is so much here to appreciate!

Anyways, now that I’ve explained how all three finalists can be a pain in the butt to review each in their own unique way (Totally joking! At least, 90 percent joking!), let’s dive into it!.
  • The magazine is great! A pitch perfect intro with some really fun ways it ties in past projects! I especially love the way you realistically weave the hotels from the previous stanza into your timeline!
  • Year 1 is a great start. Adding the new resort and rounding out Fantasyland gives you a good base. Mad Hatter Tea Shop would be a really great fit for Mumbai (and just great in general). Frozen Treats is a great way to add some more snack options. Flights of Fantasy would be a really great themed shop! All of these additions go a long way to helping Fantasyland feel more full!
  • I love the full page ad! It again does a great job helping to sell the presentation.
  • Bollytoon Bazaar is a stand out for me among all three projects! It is incredible! I almost wish you had dropped the rest of the project and just spent all your time developing this! The way you address the realistic state of India’s animation industry and use this both as a way to celebrate it and as a way to help expand it! That is so clever! And the way you describe this land makes it sound like a really great new take on Toon Town! My only real complaints here are that I want more! Of course, Toon Towns tend to be small so keeping it small makes sense. But this land just captured my imagination so well that I just can’t help but wish to explore it more! Bollywood Birthday (with an incredible logo) would be a fantastic addition too! The projection heavy nature of Runaway Railway makes it feel like it would lend itself to new versions like this very easily! This sounds like it perfectly captures what makes the original so fun and then perfectly translates that to an entirely new culture and land! I can’t say enough nice things about this ride and this land! And it is a true testament to your skills that you managed to make such an impact in just two pages. Like I said, your projects are amazing in often subtle, low key ways!.
  • The idea of retroactively holding back the Lost World Subland does something D did with his Independence Day celebration. One of my issues with adventureland was that it had too many sublands and they each felt underbuilt. And that Lost World felt less connected to the others. Holding that back for a future expansion as a full land separate from adventureland is incredibly clever and retroactively improves the original projects! Plus, a temporary playground helps fill out opening day africa. March of the Elements would be a really great and unique addition for the Africa area once they’re ready to expand! It is such a clever idea that blends so many different concepts together! I worry about there not being enough conflict for a thrill ride, but that is a small concern for what you describe as just a really cool experience!
  • Year three moves onto some major Fantasyland expansions! Fairy Forest Spin would be a great flat ride (something I’m almost always a fan of). The Tinker Bell franchise is such an interesting one because by all accounts it shouldn’t be in the parks. It is a straight to DVD spin off franchise that doesn’t fully make sense in connection to the original and was targeted at young kids and isn’t usually regarded as even being that great. Yet, there is just something about it. Some spark about it. It just works in parks and in imagineering projects. I can’t explain it, it doesn’t make logical sense, but it just works!
  • Onward is kind of an interesting case because it might be too modern to work in a Fantasy setting like Fantasyland, but it is too magical to work in a modern setting. That being said, while I’m not sure how well it would fit into Fantasyland, it was a great movie with the type of world that is just BEGGING to be a dark ride! It is a perfect fit and would be very visually exciting and beautiful!
  • 7 Stones is a really cool dining location that works on multiple levels. I want Palak Paneer so bad! That sounds amazing! There was a point during the development of this season where stanza 13 was going to be about a restaurant for Mumbai until we switched to the hotel prompt since dining has been done a lot this season. If we had gone with the dining prompt and you used this concept, you probably would have won.
  • And now we get to Lost Frontiers! The culmination of the 5 year plan, the expansion that was teased back in Year 2, the original park plans were reworked to fit this land in! Annnnnnd its done. What is here is great and I can fill in the blanks with what we knew from the original Lost World Plans. But this feels like it just got cut off at the end. If there were timing or technical issues, you could have let us know. A full vacation day might have been difficult to make work in the finale, but we could have given at least a bit of an extension. Though I also know the feeling of being at the end of a competition and not wanting to hold things up. I’ve been in that place before. What you have in this project is amazing! Really, the only main issue with the project is the way it ends so suddenly.
  • The idea of a dinosaur Frontierland is such a crazy cool idea! A great twist on the classic dinosaur theme park land that I would love to see!
  • Expedition Poompuhar is fantastic! I love the way you give the context for the myth and all the research on display here! I feel like I truly learned something here and I think this would make for a very exciting ride! I love how low key it is in many ways. A very atmospheric feeling ride. It is know of interesting because in many ways this feels more like an evolution of Thunder Mountain the D’s intention version of it lol. This would be a thrilling ride through a very real feeling environment that relies more on atmosphere than big effects. The mythology is there, but once you board the ride all that matters is “Welcome to this cool looking place, lets explore it while moving quickly.” This kind of subtle design is something I feel gets missed a lot in armchair imagineering and it is great to see it here!
Overall, this project is full of great elements! Though the end feels rushed and cut off quickly which leads to a bit of an anti-climax. Will the incredibly strong individual elements be enough to compete against the more well rounded projects of the other finalists? Time will tell.

TheOriginalTiki

The image of Sathington Saltwater starring at an animatronic of himself and having an existential crisis about it is PERFECT and makes me so happy I was able to convey the character that well! I'll definitely take notes on the tunnel of love and incorporating it more into the actual story. I did mention in my notes that seeing the tunnel is what caused Sally to want to run away from the pier, but I could have been more specific with the events of that. One chapter I cut was actually a detective character who gets mentioned in the first chapter who would have come in with an incident report and neatly tied things up with a bow. I moved towards the more ambiguous ending with the former cast member seeing Saltwater walking the coaster tracks ten years after his death.

You're absolutely right that Sathington name dropping the literal green light and Gatsby in his journal entry is probably the most CRINGE part of the project, haha. That being said I still stand by the idea of there being a green light at the top of the coaster and it being an homage to Gatsby. I'm really fascinated by the idea of Saltwater being sort of a humble guy wrapped up in a Willy Wonka exterior, and him literally building the Pier as a way to "Great Gatsby" Sally is a big part of the overall motivation for the pier to begin with. I had to decide that The Great Gatsby existed in the universe of the land, but Disney pop culture didn't. Man, I can't tell you the difficulties that made with the prose when it came to wording. I really did handicap myself with attraction descriptions by not being to make direct references to Disney terminology. That was probably both the hardest and most fun part about the writing.

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok final thoughts: (a tribute to the finalists)

@TheOriginalTiki - this season you took a different approach than in Season 4 and went with I think what you've referred to as the @Snoopy route - lending a helpful hand to each project while not getting in the weeds of anything too large, but making what you're assigned count. I think that style really benefited you getting to this point; and with the last 2 rounds we've seen you transform into a more creative writer than I think we have ever seen before. If nothing else, your stamp on this season will be remembered for that - and I think that's something to be very proud of given how many people have stepped through into this game.

@D Hindley - from Stanza I till now you've excelled as a seasoned leader. You were instrumental in guiding new players at the beginning and holding the fort down on teams when they were busy. Stanza X you really took the project head-on and designed one of the most realistic park maps I've seen (I think even topping your MGM one) because it was made by...us! I just think Stanza X captured what SA is all about - the power of teamwork. Now with this finale it felt like you gave your all to make Mumbai the best park it could be with your efforts.

@Disney Dad 3000 - one of the best teammates I've had over the years, even going back to the Creator Games days. Just a great calming voice on teams that is willing and able to do anything, and not afraid to step out and try new things. This season you were on all 3 teams in Acts I and II - leading roles in many of them, helping hands in others. And I think your resort last round was some of your best work yet and really glad to see it in Mumbai. It all culminated in a terrific showing that combined many of your staples like the magazine, creative easter eggs, and much more - which was really nice to see.

Outbound

aLCZP6VwVUxTxJSR2al1hEYLyDiR6OY2gTZvf_iqcXq3dI0wCPSQxMK9B0S_QO69FQwODQLioatGjHP-9_YvgG2dssBYf3xBJKMoUpn5m0MkuWt15uLP_WcDwiQDRauh8mP174nG

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? You've all done fantastic jobs. There is a reason we called for any spectator to plead their case: after reading the projects, we all agree any of the three could take the win. Each distinct approach has its advantages and drawbacks. But eventually, all three of us separately came to the same opinion.

THE ORIGINAL TIKI
Tiki, you’ve complicated this business by creating a meta-novel within your project. I love it. Therefore I shall provide with you a meta-DBQ within my review. Thanks for those seven documents...

Keep in mind this is a student writing within 45 minutes, so they may be misinterpreting things.

f7liDkU7dk_mdlozlZoODmRrrPvlDYoXzz_dH7P4zGoo7711t7LChYHdFTLitma2IpZLj09Gtdp5sfpmYqRK5ATYxfiEUW_BW1KSCk9RTfdcxDQxXACOqlLzPplu6WEzlB6VffA1

PROMPT: Using the documents above, evaluate whether within Sathington Saltwater’s eyes, the infamous “Dream Pier” was a success or failure.

OutboundFlight
Sorcerer’s Apprentice Odyssey
WDWMagic
22 April 2020

Sathington Saltwater’s Dream Pier Analysis

Sometimes dreams come true, but other times, they can become a nightmare. Such is the case of Satington Saltwater, an eccentric theme park visionary known best as, “a matter a bit too complicated for labels” (McGurney, 1). Satington Saltwater (as he is best known) was born as Samuel Sulner, a man of humble origins. He briefly served in World War II before an unlucky run-in with a hand grenade, leaving him with what would later become an iconic steampunk hand. After the war, Sulner would reinvent himself as Satington Saltwater, however, despite his Wonka-like exterior, Sulner never achieved true happiness: or so we believe. In truth, Saathington Saltwater did achieve happiness, but only after coming to terms with a long-realized truth.

Prior to his adoption of the “Saltwater” persona, Samuel Sulner had a close relationship with a war nurse, Sally Browburry. According to Browburry, “After he got out of the war and I got back home…two California kids. We had fun” (Browburry 2). It is evident that Sulner was not always the lost man he appeared at the end of his life. In fact, it was only after abandoning Browburry, who had to care for her sick mother, that Sulner changed personalities all-together. In an interview with his right-hand man, Nathan Thorntree, mere months following his supposed suicide, “Saltwater” was described as a strange, plotting man intent on pursuing the “Dream Pier”. Thorntree summarized the shift as thus: “Sulner was a nobody looking for his place in the world before the war. Sathington Saltwater came out the other end as a man always with a dream”. (McGurney, 4). However it is clear through these documents that it was Sulner, not Saltwater, that was living the dream, and it could be deduced that in fact, Saltwater was searching not for a new dream, but a lost one.

The story of Satington Saltwater is conflicted. Many modern media sources credit him as a loving “heart of a child” often in thanks to the popular novel “One Little Spark” which sees a beloved fictional character, Walt Disney, loosely based on the characteristics of Saltwater build a wonderful theme park that everyone loves. But those closer to Saltwater speak otherwise. Billy Browburry, a construction lead for Saltwater, called working with the visionary “It was hell…pure hell” (McPhearson 2). Saltwater frequently pushed his “family” (as he would often call) to the brink on completing his vision as quickly as possible. He was especially motivated to release every yearly expansion on the Fourth of July. But many within Saltwater’s team saw through his lies. Ha Ha Helen, a robotics expert who played a crucial role in the designing of the famous Love Tunnel, believes he “targeted the less fortunate to be his workers here…is “family” as he calls it. (Hasley 2). Others agree. Though Saltwater may have put on a loving persona to the outside world, within this dream of a pier was a crazed man trying to do the impossible.

On Christmas Eve of 1964, Samuel Sulner was killed by a moving train. After many months of questioning, Sulner’s war diary was found, revealing he had knowingly walked the tracks while the coaster was running. Many cite this as a tragic end to a tragic figure, but in fact, this was the one point where Sulner truly found happiness. In his journal, just moments before death, Sulner writes his final meeting with Sally Browburry, when she confronts him regarding “the dream” he made for her: “She told me the park itself was flattering but held up to its name. it was a dream. It wasn’t real. Just like the possibility of us being together wasn’t real” (Sulner 6). It is at this point that Sulner finally recognizes that no matter how hard he had tried, he and Browburry would not get back together. Many believe it was upon this realization that he committed suicide, but the recent autobiography “Barker’s Life” suggests otherwise. In the autobiography, Barker Flynn Fitzpatrick, who worked at the Dream Pier in his youth, claims “Sathington Saltwater was standing at the top of the roller coaster, under the green light, observing his dream still unfolding a decade after his supposed death” (Fitzpatrick 2). If Sulner had in fact not died, perhaps it was because he had finally come to terms with Browburry. Why else would he have willingly left his position as head of Dream Pier?

The Dream Pier may claim to be made for all in mind, but Sulner had always intended it for his one love. This unhealthy obsession allowed him to become the tragic figure many of his coworkers claim in his later years. But by coming to terms with the impossibility of this dream, Sulner was able to let go of his obsessions, and in this way, finally found happiness.

APUSH DBQs aside: this is a fantastic project. I’m with Pi on the first line for its novel. It is nothing like the other two projects which is both a huge positive and negative. Ultimately, I think it will come down to whether or not this is the best project for a Mumbai Disneyland expansion. It is certainly the most creative land, but does the creativity and bold presentation outweigh the many benefits your standard imagineering project holds?

D HINDLEY
Right off the bat, the MAP!!! It’s almost unfair to judge this in comparison to the others. But now looking at the old map, it looks incomplete compared to this!

lSHsQDzCNQueAzF0cW4gabLKx0W52sS0T3hgv8j4f62BU7eJy9USpTUeMe-vg2QeDlseyi4eumrSYrkClVGR8SLi3xeSf5K68DJgIRJnMoBg9n_WB9xaaS9lMvgmzeGk3cj6dRHq

9rAp79zlVkXGJG4Z7jsn93ZiaRQNMEMPcVclyDHlO_HDaYm01IkYAYsfSN14YD5hKBolbCs_AicVqDWpE54zWXqp0ZMaK1i463NkesAqgf83TmtL63GMxCTLSC-QnsBKUJFqzNnF

At first, I was very concerned with was is essentially another Frontierland (despite it being my favorite land). But you’ve addressed those concerns by a): setting it apart by being in the northwest, a b): leaning more heavily into the folkloric aspects. There is actually very little “copied” over from other parks. I think the only thing is the Steamboat. Even the Mountain and Island have a different theme for your different audience.

The magazine also looks excellent. I love how you used croppings of the main map to show what you’re talking about. I also liked the text being over a decreased opacity map. It’s very well designed.

Moving to Year One: improving the hub is a great idea. The only issue I have comes in Year Two with Mickey and Minnie’s Railroad. It just doesn’t fit what was before this tranquil Indian garden. Although looking around, I’m not sure if Mickey and Minnie would fit anywhere else in this park.

It’s funny we never designed a carousel for Mumbai. But you’ve found the perfect place for it! I love the interaction with the water, and now looking at the old map Fantasyland feels all too empty.

Now, Year Three. New Orleans Square fits perfectly with Mumbai. The constant partying makes any concern I had for America not having an impact in India fade away. You’ve also used IPs in a beneficial way. Most guests coming to Mumbai Disneyland likely will not have been to New Orleans, but they easily could have watched the Princess and the Frog movie! I really liked Escape From the Other Side. It’s a great use of trackless technology a solid replacement for the Haunted Mansion.

The Yukon Valley section, though, that’s my favorite. I love that you went North. And the Fearsome Critters! Strong James G vibes.

The folklore approach is most evident here and it really works. Even small things like the Totems singing (or do they?). Tall Tale Island is a really smart way to structure a play area. And a show for all the wacky imaginations

But please don’t dismiss the Jersey Devil as a not very good joke. That thing is real and it will watch you in your sleep.

V8ffpVjnrMfNblmbZPFzSoyF-y-DrYZqD2pE7znxCqM4JcjXn5uYt4hhlrIuAl7X3vHMrzpMEi3IEOW1IOmPo3xDYcSxK5AL7KVPRgaw7vhuPNaDkfCmeTIJ92LnLmhCYQZzs1lX

Seriously though the Pine Barrens are scary

Bigfoot Mountain Railroad sounds really cool. I love the image of multicolored mountains. You’ve combined a lot of rides into one here, and it works! I do feel though, despite its namesake, this has far more in common with Expedition Everest than it does with Big Thunder Mountain.

Finally, the pirates land. This may seem silly, but I’ve always taken issue with how Disneyland just casually has a Pirates attraction in the middle of their New Orleans Jazz Quarter. I like this attraction being in a more ominous, natural swamp.

The ride system sounds incredible! I will say, I question how possible it is, especially for the final show building (how do the pirates drop and start the fire convincingly) still I love using the old attraction from a different perspective. The story is also made just for this ride system, and I think that makes the experience all the more magical.

Overall, I have very few issues with this idea. It is an excellent project from an excellent competitor all season. But does it play things too safe? Or is there a hidden brilliance in adapting such common Disney themes to a Mumbai audience?

DISNEY DAD 3000
Where D Hindley has his map and Tiki has his literal novel, you have your magazine. I loved the inclusion of the last stanza, random Mumbai ads, and even a Season 4 project!

Moving through this project, it really feels like you are “finishing” Disneyland Mumbai. First adding necessary shopping and dining in Fantasyland, then slowly heading through the large empty plot with multiple lands. While not as “cinematic” as the others, the shopping and dining adds a lot to the area, and is a very realistic approach to a five-year plan.

LyU0493CAl40NgJrIntjzSK6kggG_47B-S9BrGvSywJHMNK7xg24eWlLPNf8lMTujqmUvlFPX2yv7cJKfp6EhE-UouxQu7vYvKroK70GXEF6NPI0EfAPUwo3NGZcwMV0AQF11XV0

Bollywood Bazar is a fantastic concept. I especially enjoyed Mickey and Minnie’s Bollywood Birthday. But is the only item in the land? I assume not, but there isn’t any mention of a shopping or dining facility in this area, which feels very out of place considering all the attention you just gave Fantasyland.

March of the Elephant is another fantastic idea. It ties perfectly with India, and I don’t think connections to Animal Kingdom would be an issue, it fits Adventureland fine. Moving Lost World was at first a big no-no for me, but once I realized in this universe the Lost World wouldn’t have existed in that space at all, it became far more realistic and even smarter to put an Indian attraction in that smaller space, and a Lost World area further north.

The Fantasyland expansion is another smart move. I think Onward would suit a place like this perfectly -- being on the far end of Fantasyland, it can be a bit different compared to nearby lands. For Tinkerbell, I've never personally been a fan of Tinkerbell but it's a very popular IP that hasn't yet been touched in Mumbai. And last, excellent work with the Seven Stones! Details like this are the dna of this project.

And then the Lost Frontiers. I think this could have easily been your project highlight… but it’s cut really short. I can only assume you ran out of time, which is completely understandable. But compared to all the details placed into Fantasyland for years one and three, the Lost World feels very empty. Even the attractions listed feel disunified in theme, one is about Dinosaurs, where the other is ancient Mayans.

I loved your ideas here. The land’s initial concepts are more creative than Doug’s, but your project lies within the traditions of standard storytelling in comparison to Tiki’s. But do your concepts and early attention to detail compensate for a very cut-short end of the project? We’ll have to wait and see.

TEAM LAND
I love the creativity within the project. Although many of you were hard pressed for time, @Pufflefan did an excellent job running the show. Adapting the Atlantis concept from Disneyland is a great idea, even if you were only able to get to the first land.

At the end of the day, this project may not have been properly “completed”, this is a great building block for a future season of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice. And it shows some great enthusiasm from a few key players. We are excited to hand out the WALDO Award!

----

Overall, it has been a fantastic experience hosting the Sorcerer's Apprentice Season Six. Thanks to everyone: my fellow judges, advisors from past seasons, and the many players and guest judges that made this season so special.​

PerGron

PerGron's Reviews.png

So my computer decided it wanted to take on a huge update as I was writing reviews, so my more detailed reviews will be coming tomorrow when I get my computer back. For now, enjoy my short and concise reviews so we can reveal your Sorcerer's Apprentice!

@TheOriginalTiki
This project was a lot of fun to read and I strongly urge you to write this into a real book, I'd totally stop by your book signing for a copy! However, it was more of a story than an imagineering proposition and the theme fit much better in a US park than Mumbai. However, your presentation style does bring a very uniquely Tiki feel to it and made for an excellent final project.

@D Hindley
So this project was probably the safest, and while sometimes risks pay off, sometimes it's a better option to play it safe. Having two projects that envelop this mantra, I'm excited to see how it goes. This project seems like a great next step in the Disneyland Mumbai timeline and Mumbai being something you're very knowledgeable and passionate about, you were able to do a lot here that benefited your overall project.

@Disney Dad 3000
This was a totally solid project (all three projects were in fact) but the ending feels like you're missing just a little something. However, I did really like your presentation style which felt like an in between of Doug's safer route and Tiki's out there presentation style.

All in all, all three of you provided some excellent projects and no matter who wins, you should all be insanely proud of what you've accomplished here. However, there can only be one Sorcerer's Apprentice...​

Outbound

Before we get to the results of the Final Stanza, we have something special to announce.

The winner of the first ever W.A.L.D.O. Award!

Se0FO9d.png

This Award is sort of a wild card prize. It goes to an eliminated player who we wanted to give some special recognition. Partly based on the Project W.A.L.D.O. Bonus Prompt, partly based on the season as a whole. This player was a consistent positive voice! Full of enthusiasm and encouragement who brought an element of fun and excitement with them wherever they went. Despite being very new to these boards, they grew leaps and bounds and have quickly established themselves as someone to keep an eye on in future games!

Now, on to the Main Event!

BmuXMGm.png

This round in particular has been a tough one to judge. Each project excelled in unique ways and each project approached perfection for what it was trying to do! A truly fitting finale for what we hope was a very fun season!

Eisner's Apprentice
(4th Place)

This player has grown leaps and bounds this season! Despite being a relative newcomer, they earned their place among some of the best of the best and longest running players on these forums! The detail and care that goes into their writing is nearly unparalleled and we look forward to see how they grow in future games! While they weren't able submit a final project, they were able to truly earn their spot as a finalist.

Iger's Apprentice

(3rd Place)

This player has always been a stand out on these boards. Someone who is a master of adding little touches to their projects that improve them and add so much realism. They may fly under the radar at times, but they are consistently a strong, encouraging presence who does a great job helping to lead others and elevate whatever they touch! And they do all of this while living a busy life full of responsibilities showing how dedicated and passionate they are for these games.

Dreamfinder's Apprentice
(2nd place)

This player has proven time and time again over the years to be one of the most creative and outside the box armchair imagineers on here. Consistently surprising everyone with unique ideas that no one else could come up with! Both as a player and as a host of their own game, they are always finding new angles to approach things at and new ways to push the envelope. Not to mention their top notch talent at storytelling and prose. Creating unique characters at every turn, or giving pre-exisitng characters their own voice.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
(1st place)

This player has brought their A-Game every round. Always being an active and encouraging presence to players both in the game and socially. They consistently have stepped up to lead those around them and yet never once felt overbearing! Their art skills are unmatched and unparalleled, and they have the creativity and the writing talent to back it up. To top it all off, the passion they have displayed this season and the pure enthusiasm since Stanza I has been awe inspiring and has helped to create many of this game's most memorable projects ever!

Congratulations to each and every one who participated!
This has been a wonderful season!
Don't forget to tip your waitress!
If you lost, next time bribe us more!

TheOriginalTiki

I freaking love how it came down to the two California natives on here. Big congrats to @D Hindley! Very well deserved considering the passion absolutely lept off the page for the Mumbai concept pretty much every post you made. Big congrats to the other finalists as well. I must admit when I saw the magazine format @Disney Dad 3000 made I thought I was done for. 😄

I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to my fellow #TeamTMNT members @NateD1226, @Tux, and @mickeyfan5534. It was an absolute pleasure working with Nate and Tux round to round as Mickeyfan and I developed a genuinely great rapport both on the podcast and in Imagineering. You three really are the reason I pushed myself as hard as I did this season. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good narrative. ;)

I'd like to extend my gratitude towards the hosts for making a comp so engaging it legitimately inspired me to get up and try actual creative writing prose for the first time in almost a decade. I'm definitely going to make "Saltwater" into a full blown audio-book in the future and I'd be happy to work with people in a group thread to help develop the story and characters further. I can't tell you what a big deal it is that I actually wrote some good fiction again :)

Orange Cat

Se0FO9d.png

This Award is sort of a wild card prize. It goes to an eliminated player who we wanted to give some special recognition. Partly based on the Project W.A.L.D.O. Bonus Prompt, partly based on the season as a whole. This player was a consistent positive voice! Full of enthusiasm and encouragement who brought an element of fun and excitement with them wherever they went. Despite being very new to these boards, they grew leaps and bounds and have quickly established themselves as someone to keep an eye on in future games!

@Pufflefan
Yay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom