NY Times: Bob Iger Effectively Back As CEO

BrianLo

Bragging rights? An ego boost to Iger who wanted one more big buy?

Hulu, FX and Searchlight. Star. That's really the only meat left.

But until they start getting top billing like Disney+ Internationally, it seems a very expensive future investment.

Anyone who says this was about Disney+ hasn't calculated the fraction of its content that came from investment, which really is only majorly the Simpsons.

sedati

Disney's next big purchase needs to be a video game publisher. Make Star Wars games in house, instead of leaving it to EA to **** it up.
And I’d like to see them go whole hog into VR/AR. They’ve already dipped their toe, but I think it‘a an ideal extension for what they do. Not just games, but experiences and worlds to explore.

lazyboy97o

In reality, I think the acquisition gave them the ability to run TWO separate streaming services. If that is the direction of the industry Bob saw, two is better than one?

But it certainly was not Disney+ that needed Fox, its Hulu.
The streaming services are now starting to replicate the cable bundles. They're all being bloated up with a bunch of excess junk to say they have so many titles, but like the cable bundles there is only a small minority people really want to watch. In order to get all of those select programs will soon require the total cost that turned people off of cable.

Bragging rights? An ego boost to Iger who wanted one more big buy?

The excuse was content, but the man who said it was the one who had limited the amount produced by Disney in the decade + leading up to the purchase by effectively shutting down Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and selling off Miramax because they weren't "on brand".
Fox's slate moving forward has also been dramatically reduced.

BrianLo

The streaming services are now starting to replicate the cable bundles. They're all being bloated up with a bunch of excess junk to say they have so many titles, but like the cable bundles there is only a small minority people really want to watch. In order to get all of those select programs will soon require the total cost that turned people off of cable.

Totally agree. Albeit there is still some residual benefits over traditional cable.

If you are savvy enough, which almost no consumer is, it's quite possible to subscribe to one for a month and move on. Since the content is instantly accessible and saved.

Even to own all the streaming services - I still think it runs cheaper than cable in the 90's. Which is kind of funny how that industry has deflated. The other being video games - there is a cost ceiling that literally they still won't push, despite games having cost MORE to purchase 30 years ago and consoles running similar or even higher prices.

bryanfze55

I will say this about Eisner: his greatest theme park accomplishments are more noteworthy than Iger’s:

1. Tower of Terror
2. Indiana Jones Adventure
3. Splash Mountain
4. Star Tours
5. Expedition Everest
6. Kilimanjaro Safaris
7. Animal Kingdom (best themed park in the US)
8. Disneyland Paris (most beautiful castle park in the world)
9. The Great Movie Ride
10. Toontown/Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
11. Fantasmic! (Disneyland version)
12. Soarin’ over California
13. Grizzly River Run
14. Hong Kong Disneyland

This undeniably beats Iger’s highlights of:
1. Galaxy’s Edge
2. Pandora
3. Radiator Springs Racers/Cars Land
4. Toy Story Land (meh)
5. Mission: Breakout!
6. New Fantasyland (meh)
7. Shanghai Disneyland (just a mistake IMO...)
8. Happily Ever After
9. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
10. Tron
11. Epcot makeover (possibly?)

Looking at those lists, I’m actually convinced maybe Eisner was significantly better. But it could also be argued that Eisner’s lows were far worse than Iger’s (DCA 1.0, outside of Grizzly Peak). Time will tell.

The Grand Inquisitor

I will say this about Eisner: his greatest theme park accomplishments are more noteworthy than Iger’s:

1. Tower of Terror
3. Splash Mountain
4. Star Tours
5. Expedition Everest
6. Kilimanjaro Safaris
9. The Great Movie Ride
13. Grizzly River Run
14. Hong Kong Disneyland

1. Galaxy’s Edge
2. Pandora
4. Toy Story Land (meh)
6. New Fantasyland (meh)
8. Happily Ever After
10. Tron

Looking at those lists, I’m actually convinced maybe Eisner was significantly better. But it could also be argued that Eisner’s lows were far worse than Iger’s (DCA 1.0, outside of Grizzly Peak). Time will tell.
I agree both have down truly amazing things for the parks. For better or for worse they helped make Disney a bigger and more poplar company than ever.

peter11435

1. Tower of Terror
3. Splash Mountain
4. Star Tours
5. Expedition Everest
6. Kilimanjaro Safaris
9. The Great Movie Ride
13. Grizzly River Run
14. Hong Kong Disneyland

1. Galaxy’s Edge
2. Pandora
4. Toy Story Land (meh)
6. New Fantasyland (meh)
8. Happily Ever After
10. Tron

why do you count animal kingdom and safari as separate items but not count any individual items from Shanghai Disneyland? why no Mystic Manor? Why no World of Color? Your list seems massively incomplete and arbitrary for both Iger and Eisner.

BrianLo

1. Tower of Terror
3. Splash Mountain
4. Star Tours
5. Expedition Everest
6. Kilimanjaro Safaris
9. The Great Movie Ride
13. Grizzly River Run
14. Hong Kong Disneyland

1. Galaxy’s Edge
2. Pandora
4. Toy Story Land (meh)
6. New Fantasyland (meh)
8. Happily Ever After
10. Tron

This is a pretty random non-exhaustive list.

For starters arguably the best park under Eisner (Disney Sea) and his worst (WDSP) and the best attractions under Iger (Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates). There is also a slew of Iger's tenure projects Internationally. Large scale WDSP/TDS expansions for starters.

Neither of them made or designed any of them, though!

bryanfze55

People, it was just a short exercise in which I jotted down my noteworthy things from Eisner versus Iger. I’m not spending an hour making a list. As much as I love World of Color, I wasn’t going to think of every show Disney has had the past 35 years. Fantasmic! at Disneyland is the only one that has really impacted me.

bryanfze55

This is a pretty random non-exhaustive list.

For starters arguably the best park under Eisner (Disney Sea) and his worst (WDSP) and the best attractions under Iger (Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates). There is also a slew of Iger's tenure projects Internationally. Large scale WDSP/TDS expansions for starters.

Neither of them made or designed any of them, though!

Agree DisneySea was an amazing accomplishment. The reason I excluded it is because Disney doesn’t own Tokyo Disney, and thus, I don’t really give any Disney CEO credit for that resort’s accomplishments.

BrianLo

One CEO lost confidence, ruined nearly every division, destroyed almost every single relationship and needed to be evicted on a scale never before or again seen on a corporate level in his end days.

One CEO was basically begged to come back.

This is seriously not a contest people. :facepalm:

I'm not sainting Iger by any means, but there is a lot of short term memory about how off the rails Eisner became. Took me forever to get around to it, but everyone should read Disney War. This has much more to it than disdain over a coffee table in Epcot.

By all means, Eisner might have been the better head of Parks are Resorts! But not CEO of the whole company.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One CEO lost confidence, ruined nearly every division, destroyed almost every single relationship and needed to be evicted on a scale never before or again seen on a corporate level in his end days.

I'm not sainting Iger by any means, but there is a lot of short term memory about how off the rails Eisner become. Took me forever to get around to it, but everyone should read Disney War. This has much more to it than disdain over a coffee table in Epcot.
The current situation has no precedent. They’d have asked Kenneth Lay back.

peter11435

I'm not sainting Iger by any means, but there is a lot of short term memory about how off the rails Eisner became. Took me forever to get around to it, but everyone should read Disney War. This has much more to it than disdain over a coffee table in Epcot.

By all means, Eisner might have been the better head of Parks are Resorts! But not CEO of the whole company.
People have short memories and always fondly remember a past that never was.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Iger maintained many of Eisner’s strategies dissolved Strategic Planning through promotions.

BrianLo

The current situation has no precedent. They’d have asked Kenneth Lay back.

There likely wouldn't even be a Disney if Eisner stayed on. Not just the theoretical "this isn't my Disney under Iger".

I'm actually not trying to praise Iger, just trying to wake people up to the reality of Eisner. Like all things fondness and nostalgia for things tends to put them on a pedestal in the Disney community.

Have you read Disney War?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom