News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

gmajew

Premium Member
I read he is back but not as CEO but will guide the company through this process.... So basically as Chairman he will be doing more then just a figure head. Which is the way a lot of big companies actually run with the Chairman having more power then the CEO

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
https:///2020/04/bob-iger-resuming-ceo-role-disney-ec1/
This really is nuts. So Chapek is done as CEO then? Is Iger extending his contract?

Why link to a second hand report of a first hand article?

We already knew Iger was staying around as Chairman of the Board to mentor Chapek for at least half a year.

Don't know why anyone wouldn't think that Iger wouldn't step up and be hands on during one of Disney worst financial crises.

Reporting or saying "Chapek is out/fired/gone" is just irresponsible... until you have a real source that says so. The NYT is not saying so.

JoeCamel

We already knew Iger was staying around as Chairman of the Board to mentor Chapek for at least half a year.

Don't know why anyone wouldn't think that Iger wouldn't step up and be hands on during one of Disney worst financial crises.

Reporting or saying "Chapek is out/fired/gone" is just irresponsible... until you have a real source that says so. The NYT is not saying so.
If Bob really wanted to cement Bob in place and thought the company will come out the other side in fair to good shape he could have had puppet Bob be the face and sit back while he directed the moves. Bob the wizard might have decided to grab it for himself.
Final legacy - saved TWDC ! Incredible! he might be ego driven enough to go fo it.

VJ

EXACTLY. The original source that started this mess is "the site that shall not be named" and their irresponsible reporting.

rowrbazzle

EXACTLY. The original source that started this mess is "the site that shall not be named" and their irresponsible reporting.

What irresponsible reporting? Reading the article in the Times gives me the distinct impression that Iger is de facto CEO. "Mr. Iger has effectively returned to running the company. After a few weeks of letting Mr. Chapek take charge, Mr. Iger smoothly reasserted control..." That's a direct quote from the Times. It also refers to Chapek as the "nominal chief executive."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What irresponsible reporting? Reading the article in the Times gives me the distinct impression that Iger is de facto CEO. "Mr. Iger has effectively returned to running the company. After a few weeks of letting Mr. Chapek take charge, Mr. Iger smoothly reasserted control..." That's a direct quote from the Times. It also refers to Chapek as the "nominal chief executive."

That led to such things as "Chapek is out" implying he's fired or going to be fired.

VJ

That's the thing. There weren't any changes in structure. Chapek is still CEO, Iger is still Executive Chairman. Iger isn't CEO, the site is saying he is (and the NYT article is implying that his role in the company has changed when it hasn't).

rowrbazzle

They kind of did

I disagree. Again, from the Times..."Mr. Iger has effectively returned to running the company. After a few weeks of letting Mr. Chapek take charge, Mr. Iger smoothly reasserted control...The new, nominal chief executive is referred to, almost kindergarten style, as “Bob C,” ... Iger is now intensely focused on remaking a company..."

I don't see anything in the headline that's not consistent with the Times. Iger is running the company again (aka, the responsibilities of the CEO).

But if you're still unsure of what they meant, they followed up

That's the thing. There weren't any changes in structure. Chapek is still CEO, Iger is still Executive Chairman. Iger isn't CEO, the site is saying he is (and the NYT article is implying that his role in the company has changed when it hasn't).

Again, neither site says Chapek is out as CEO. I agree with you about what the Times article implies. I can't speak to the bolded part; I guess you have additional information that refutes what the Times is saying. I'm just going by what I read there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom