The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Slpy3270

Given the lack of a successor being named I'm betting Freeform will be taken over by FX Networks as part of the continuing consolidation of 21CF into Disney.

Twilight_Roxas

Given the lack of a successor being named I'm betting Freeform will be taken over by FX Networks as part of the continuing consolidation of 21CF into Disney.
Irony?

SteamboatJoe

It seems like there are numerous cable stations that could just be consolidated and shut down, especially given Disney+ and Hulu. I don't know how much money that saves but it strikes me as the logical thing to do unless their aspects to that business that I am not aware of.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Slpy3270

Thought this was interesting. One of the last pre-merger/old fox movies is going to Netflix.

Makes sense. It's a Fox 2000 title and Disney's been trying to get rid of them any way they can (hence why On the Come Up, News of the World and Richard Jewell all went to different studios, while another title has been shafted to Lucasfilm).

And contra to popular belief, Netflix and Disney aren't "heated enemies" because they're not really "rivals" to begin with (Netflix is a tech company, not a media conglomerate), so Disney is fine with giving some content to them (especially one that won't make big profits in theaters and not be a franchise creator).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And contra to popular belief, Netflix and Disney aren't "heated enemies" because they're not really "rivals" to begin with (Netflix is a tech company, not a media conglomerate), so Disney is fine with giving some content to them (especially one that won't make big profits in theaters and not be a franchise creator).
Exactly, not sure why this ever became a thing. People buy into the media hype too much of these "rival battles".

mary2013

Makes sense. It's a Fox 2000 title and Disney's been trying to get rid of them any way they can (hence why On the Come Up, News of the World and Richard Jewell all went to different studios, while another title has been shafted to Lucasfilm).

Which title went to Lucasfilm?

FettFan

I think it's important to remember that Disney now owns the cult classic Freddy Got Fingered, which could totally boost the popularity of the Canada Pavilion, seeing as how Tom Green is Canadian.

Le Cellier will now be "A Fancy Restaurant".

Slpy3270

I think it's important to remember that Disney now owns the cult classic Freddy Got Fingered, which could totally boost the popularity of the Canada Pavilion, seeing as how Tom Green is Canadian.

Le Cellier will now be "A Fancy Restaurant".

"Cult classic" if you're a fan of Tom Green. To everyone else, it's Bio-Dome level bad.

FettFan

"Cult classic" if you're a fan of Tom Green. To everyone else, it's Bio-Dome level bad.

FGF is actually slightly smarter than it looks, if you're a fan of subtext.
Essentially, Fox gave Tom Green $14 million to make a gross out teen comedy because they thought they could easily cash in on the trend of gross out teen comedies in the late-1990s/early-2000s.
And Tom Green proceeded to take the studio for a ride while raising an obscene finger to them by incorporating it into the movie itself.

"It wasn’t trying to be, like I said, trying to win an Academy Award. So it made sense to go accept those awards because in a way it was sort of a true sign that the movie really, really did achieve what it set out to do. Which was to a lot of people off and really get a reaction from a lot of really boring people. And all the boring people could react and freak out and say that it was gross and disgusting."

Sound familiar?

Slpy3270

Aaaanndd it's official: The "Fox" name is being dropped from 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21, effective immediately.

20th Century Fox Television is becoming 20th Television (the former name of the syndication unit, which Disney has effectively snapped up), and Fox 21 is relaunching under the old Touchstone Television banner.

ABC Studios and ABC Signature will be merged under simply ABC Signature.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Aaaanndd it's official: The "Fox" name is being dropped from 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21, effective immediately.

20th Century Fox Television is becoming 20th Television (the former name of the syndication unit, which Disney has effectively snapped up), and Fox 21 is relaunching under the old Touchstone Television banner.

ABC Studios and ABC Signature will be merged under simply ABC Signature.

Funny thing is that Disney's Touchstone TV was folded into ABC, and now they have a Touchstone TV again, but made up of Fox 21 properties.

Slpy3270

Funny thing is that Disney's Touchstone TV was folded into ABC, and now they have a Touchstone TV again, but made up of Fox 21 properties.

Between Turner & Hooch being produced by 20th Century Fox TV instead of ABC Studios (now dead) and this, it's all but inevitable that future projects involving Touchstone IP will be under the 20th name.

What's interesting to me is that they didn't fold ABC Studios and ABC Signature entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom