Trip Report THE ONE...(February 2020)*COMPLETE*

Ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages and fellow Magicians, as you can see, I am having a little trouble with the title of this trip report. It could be “THE ONE FOR MY BEST FRIEND’S BIRTHDAY”, or “THE ONE WHERE I LEFT MY BRAIN AT HOME.” Or there is, “THE ONE WHERE I GOT A GLIMPSE OF A DISNEY LEGEND”. There is also, “THE ONE WHERE WE JOINED THE RESISTANCE”.
I think I will begin title less and let all you good people have a say when it is over.

We always begin with the why.
A small bit of background first:
M and I have been friend’s since college (a looong time😎). M’s family has a small family business. When my kids were little my job got to be too much (70-100 hours a week) so I left. When my youngest started Kindergarten M’s family asked me if I would come work for them part time. It is not what I went to school for but it offered me flexibility for the kids, and besides, how do you say no to family?
So some of you may have figured it out, M is not only my friend, but my boss as well.

M is a great friend! No really! Die hard Met fan who will go with me to see the Dodgers when they are in town and actually root (🎶root root🎶) for the Dodgers.
21B50DAE-E983-4578-8D31-4A8BAD4D8EA8.jpeg

M had a birthday coming up. M’s sister and two grown nieces are big Disney fans and we are always talking about what is new with the parks, food and the shopping😍. Poor M, always left out. So I asked if he wanted to go for his Birthday. “YES”, was his answer BTW. (Plus, my oldest son, X had a lacrosse game in Jacksonville so we got to see that as well.)
M hadn't been to WDW in 20 years! So we got the time off from HR (M’s sister🤣) and I started planning.
I will say, taking a newbie (after a 20 year absence you revert to newbie status-this is the way) to WDW is fun! I got to see everything through his eyes, like it was the first time. Plus, if I made a miscalculation or left something out—he had no way of knowing!!!🤣🤣 M’s only request: “can we ride the teacups?” (and he asked X to score 5 goals for him as a birthday gift-stay tuned for that)
“Of course we can!” My family will never ride the teacups with me so I haven't been on them in at least 10 years. This was off to a promising start!!!

macefamily

Tuesday February 11th cont

I remembered to pay the bill and we left the Plaza. I was hoping to catch the parade but M seemed apathetic about it so we went shopping for his niece (again). Success! We found the backpack. They had JUST put them out.

Final photo on the way out.
View attachment 454280

We walked over to the Contemporary. I wanted to visit one of my favorite CMs.
But first a photo shoot to send to M’s niece.
View attachment 454281
She was so excited that we got it. (BTW- she and I just finished planning a trip together for April. Yay!)

View attachment 454283

And then I went to say hi to Irma while M went to the men’s room. She is amazing and asked where the kids were. I explained I was there with my friend for his birthday. She insisted we go out on the Sea Raycers. On her!!

M came over and she was joking with him and said she should measure him to see if he could drive by himself😂😂😂
View attachment 454282

We were all cracking up. M did not want to go out on the boat. He still wasn't feeling great and he is a nervous nelly.
We said goodbye and I told her I would be back to see her next month.

We had about an hour to kill. Hmmmm, what to do???
BLT pool bar it is!!!

Cheers! Happy Birthday to a great friend.
View attachment 454284

View attachment 454285

We sat for a bit and chatted with the bartender and other patrons.
The TV was on:
View attachment 454286
View attachment 454287
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

After friends was over they did a 30 second “news brief”. The top story?
Disney raising prices again!!
There was a loud cheer from those of us close enough to hear.

We caught our Magical Express and made it home to cooler temperatures but no issues.

THIS:
The next day I went to wash my clothes from the trip. I loaded the clothes in the washing machine then checked the dryer to make sure it was empty. It was. Except for this...

View attachment 454289
It was a quarter and I got the chills. It had to be M’s Mom saying thanks or that she approved or something.

I think that is a fitting way to end this Trip Report. But I can not sign off without thanking all my fellow Magicians who followed along and participated. I even want to thank the lurkers and say to you, stop lurking and be heard!

Be well and
May you all find quarters...
Darstarr out.

Great wrap up to a fantastic report.

Gurt

All caught up with work currently being so quiet at the moment I will hopefully get caught up with everyone's TR! Happy belated birthday

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I’ve still got my fingers crossed for May but we have booked a back up trip in November.
It’s the not knowing that is the worst....
My oldest is graduating in May. But will there be a ceremony? Probably not. So our May trip, which is suppose to be a post graduation celebration and bribery to me for driving home to NY with him, most likely won’t happen.
I have a girls weekend in September booked. I am very optimistic about that one, unless the ladies I am traveling with (teachers) can’t get away for some reason.
Lastly, a note to all:
I know there are bigger issues out there but this is a Disney board, not a “bigger issue” board so we are allowed to commiserate about cancelled trips and such here.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Lastly, a note to all:
I know there are bigger issues out there but this is a Disney board, not a “bigger issue” board so we are allowed to commiserate about cancelled trips and such here.

Absolutely! Personally, I’m disappointed that my trip to Thailand over Easter will not happen and that my DD’s school trip to bike thru Slovenia and Croatia in June has been cancelled as well. And as much as I’m trying to put on a brave face for my grumpy teenager, virtual coffees and lunches via Skype with friends are of course better than nothing, but I’d rather be able to see people « for real ».

DisneyGigi

It’s the not knowing that is the worst....
My oldest is graduating in May. But will there be a ceremony? Probably not. So our May trip, which is suppose to be a post graduation celebration and bribery to me for driving home to NY with him, most likely won’t happen.
I have a girls weekend in September booked. I am very optimistic about that one, unless the ladies I am traveling with (teachers) can’t get away for some reason.
Lastly, a note to all:
I feel the same way. Even though, I had already cancelled our May trip because of the risk to, at the time older parents, it is really getting to me in every sense now. I just wish we could hit rewind and it all be a month ago or something.

Graduation ceremonies are cancelled here and we are rural. I was thinking, how hard your kids work to make it there, and no celebration. It is just sad. For most of us on here, Disney brings a break from troubles and real life. (At least it’s does me) Not having that fairytale to escape to, or knowing when you can go to your happy place again, because it is closed, may seem silly to some... but not me! Especially when everything seems cancelled. :( Stay safe and healthy!

lindawdw

I just finished your TR and once again totally enjoyed reading it!!! During these difficult times, TR's really help transport you to our "Happy Place" which so many of us love and use as our escape place! It was so nice that you showed M such a great time at WDW and finding all those quarters was definitely a sign from his mom thanking you! I agree with you about The Plaza Restaurant! My DH and I went there two years ago and were so disappointed in the meal, and also the atmosphere, that we said it would be a long time before we ever return there. On another note, sorry your trips got cancelled but Happy Belated Birthday!🎂🍻. I had a big vacation year planned this year and so far I've had to cancel my March WDW trip, May WDW trip and my cruise to Alaska in July. :( This virus seems so virulent that I just couldn't take the chance of traveling on a plane or cruise ship until we know it's under control. On the bright side, I do have a late October trip and December WDW trip planned! Let's hope things get back to normal soon and Disney is able to get operations back up and running without too much of a delay. Thank you once again for writing such an entertaining TR. :) Hope you're able to get back to WDW soon so we can read another TR!!!:)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just finished your TR and once again totally enjoyed reading it!!! During these difficult times, TR's really help transport you to our "Happy Place" which so many of us love and use as our escape place! It was so nice that you showed M such a great time at WDW and finding all those quarters was definitely a sign from his mom thanking you! I agree with you about The Plaza Restaurant! My DH and I went there two years ago and were so disappointed in the meal, and also the atmosphere, that we said it would be a long time before we ever return there. On another note, sorry your trips got cancelled but Happy Belated Birthday!🎂🍻. I had a big vacation year planned this year and so far I've had to cancel my March WDW trip, May WDW trip and my cruise to Alaska in July. :( This virus seems so virulent that I just couldn't take the chance of traveling on a plane or cruise ship until we know it's under control. On the bright side, I do have a late October trip and December WDW trip planned! Let's hope things get back to normal soon and Disney is able to get operations back up and running without too much of a delay. Thank you once again for writing such an entertaining TR. :) Hope you're able to get back to WDW soon so we can read another TR!!!:)
Thank you so much.
Cancelling was hard. I was suppose to be there 3/28-4/2 and had made plans with fellow magician @Billy6 . We worked pretty hard to plan a great day. I am sad we did not get to enjoy it!
Also, my Dad turned 95 on the 28th!!!
I was suppose to take him to my son’s lacrosse game. That would have been a great day.
On the good news front, and my son would kill me if he knew I said anything so if you ever meet him not a word. Please. But....he was named an all-american! (Not a sundae) So that is nice😀
I have a trip planned for early October, as does everyone else. I could not find one single DVC studio with full availability so I booked one if the all stars for now.
I also have a girls food and wine weekend in September. If things are “normal” again I may add a couple solo days to that trip so I can visit my Dad.

I don't blame you for cancelling a cruise. I love them but will think twice before booking another one.
Good luck. Be safe and be well.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thank you so much.
Cancelling was hard. I was suppose to be there 3/28-4/2 and had made plans with fellow magician @Billy6 . We worked pretty hard to plan a great day. I am sad we did not get to enjoy it!
I was suppose to take him to my son’s lacrosse game. That would have been a great day.
On the good news front, and my son would kill me if he knew I said anything so if you ever meet him not a word. Please. But....he was named an all-american! (Not a sundae) So that is nice😀
I have a trip planned for early October, as does everyone else. I could not find one single DVC studio with full availability so I booked one if the all stars for now.
I also have a girls food and wine weekend in September. If things are “normal” again I may add a couple solo days to that trip so I can visit my Dad.

I don't blame you for cancelling a cruise. I love them but will think twice before booking another one.

Congrats to your son!

Songbird76

Thank you so much.

Congrats to your son and happy birthday to your dad! I'm sorry you didn't get to take him to the game!

John Dulmage

Thank you so much.

My wife told me yesterday after watching the news about the cruises just finally allowed to port that I should not even THINK about doing a cruise with her! Another dream dashed! Also, congrats to your son!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom