Top 3 Essential Things at Disneyland..... and DCA

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'm talking about the attraction, land, icon, experience, show or anything that without it, you don't have Disneyland or are at least losing a fundamental part of it. This might be a dumb thread because I think the answers are pretty obvious (or maybe not). So to make it a little more interesting I'm ranking my choices in order of importance.

Disneyland:
  1. Sleeping Beauty Castle
  2. Rivers of America/ Tom Sawyer Island
  3. Matterhorn

Honorable Mentions: Disneyland Railroad, Main Street, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Mad Tea Party

DCA:
  1. Pixar Pier Vista - mostly because the Fun Wheel
  2. Cars Land
  3. Grizzly Peak

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Man, narrowing down just three things that are 'essential' at Disneyland is tough. Really tough. At this point I'd say anything that came out pre 1980 that's still in the park is essential and shouldn't be removed- though the Autopia is in desperate need of a redo.

Disneyland:
1. The Castle
2. Main Street USA
3. Splash Mountain (this is purely a personal one)

DCA
1. Grizzly Peak
2. Cars Land
3. Hopefully Avengers Campus- I have a ton of faith in this project. It really looks like Disney's trying to correct a number of mistakes they made with Star Wars.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Man, narrowing down just three things that are 'essential' at Disneyland is tough. Really tough. At this point I'd say anything that came out pre 1980 that's still in the park is essential and shouldn't be removed- though the Autopia is in desperate need of a redo.

Disneyland:
1. The Castle
2. Main Street USA
3. Splash Mountain (this is purely a personal one)

DCA
1. Grizzly Peak
2. Cars Land
3. Hopefully Avengers Campus- I have a ton of faith in this project. It really looks like Disney's trying to correct a number of mistakes they made with Star Wars.

Ok good. Maybe it’s not a dumb thread after all. Haha. Yeah I tried to go with importance in general. If I was going purely personal I would have put the ROA at # 1.

SuddenStorm

Ok good. Maybe it’s not a dumb thread after all. Haha. Yeah I tried to go with importance in general. If I was going purely personal I would have put the ROA at # 1.

The ROA is such a unique use of space- The island, various watercraft, and the overall visual of it really help differentiate Disneyland from other theme parks. Not to mention Fantasmic- there's probably not a more diverse use of land in any park.

I am curious, do you prefer the old school ROA or the current iteration?

mickEblu

Original Poster
The ROA is such a unique use of space- The island, various watercraft, and the overall visual of it really help differentiate Disneyland from other theme parks. Not to mention Fantasmic- there's probably not a more diverse use of land in any park.

I am curious, do you prefer the old school ROA or the current iteration?

Agreed. So unique, borders 3 lands and is pretty much the soul of the park. Even as a kid I found myself gravitating to the West side of the park because of it.

Yes I do. The old back section of the ROA actually made you feel like you were on a river in the middle of nowhere. Although I think they did a great job with the new additions now it just feels a little too wide open. Not to mention losing all of those trees and what the did for the sight lines. Losing Hungry Bear being on the water. Losing Big Thunder Ranch and BBQ. Now that I’ve seen GE and both of its attractions if I could wave a magic wand and turn DL back to its 2015 self I definitely would. Even just for the possibilities that could have been with GE’s land.

How about you?

Californian Elitist

For me, what makes Disneyland Disneyland is the history and its connection to Walt Disney. There are multiple imitations of Disneyland around the globe, but Disneyland is the only park that Walt Disney had a personal hand in, including the conception, construction, opening, and continual operation (for the first 11 years). For this reason, my choices are:

1. Matterhorn: a Disneyland-exclusive and Walt-era attraction

2. Nighttime cruise on the Mark Twain: a now rare experience that dates back to the Walt-era version of the park

3. Walt Disney’s apartment on Main Street: this one should be obvious

Disney California Adventure

1. Soarin’ Over California: one of the very few, if not only original day attractions that was not only fun, but a quality attraction

2. Grizzly Peak: an area that was once one of the most iconic and recognizable DCA lands. Anyone remember the early DCA logos with the Grizzly River Run bear?

3. Cars Land: Cars Land is, without a doubt, the main attraction of the park currently, and for good reason

SuddenStorm

Agreed. So unique, borders 3 lands and is pretty much the soul of the park. Even as a kid I found myself gravitating to the West side of the park because of it.

Yes I do. The old back section of the ROA actually made you feel like you were on a river in the middle of nowhere. Although I think they did a great job with the new additions now it just feels a little too wide open. Not to mention losing all of those trees and what the did for the sight lines. Losing Hungry Bear being on the water. Losing Big Thunder Ranch and BBQ. Now that I’ve seen GE and both of its attractions if I could wave a magic wand and turn DL back to its 2015 self I definitely would. Even just for the possibilities that could have been with GE’s land.

How about you?

As usual, I basically agree with everything you said. The west side of Disneyland really is perfect (even if it was a bit more perfect before GE and Pooh).

There was something special about going around the river before they changed it- when you were going around the back you were completely isolated from the rest of the park, and the trees really helped it feel like wilderness. With the new shorter length you're never quite isolated, which significantly decreases the allure of riding the Twain.

I just wish I was alive when the keel boats and Cascade Peak were still around.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Disneyland
1. Sleeping Beauty's Castle
2. Main Street
3. Matterhorn

DCA
1. Grizzly Peak
2. Cars Land
3. Incredicoaster

very much on the same page. You even have me second guessing if I should have put Main Street over the DLRR. I tried to make the list in order of importance in general but I think a personal one snuck in there for me with DLRR. Main Street is way more integral to the park experience to the GP then the railroad is.

SuddenStorm

very much on the same page. You even have me second guessing if I should have put Main Street over the DLRR. I tried to make the list in order of importance in general but I think a personal one snuck in there for me with DLRR. Main Street is way more integral to the park experience to the GP then the railroad is.

The whole entrance to Disneyland- The Main Street Station, the tunnels w/posters, Town Square, Main Street, the hub, and castle should never be changed. That whole package is essential to Disneyland and it's really remarkable that they basically perfected it back in '55- no other land in the park has had as little change.

The DLRR Railroad is just as essential- Disneyland thrives on depicting a mythological view of America- relying on timeless themes (yesterday, tomorrow, fantasy, frontier/exploration) and imagery to really tap into something special. The Railroad is about as quintessential 'American' and 'Disneyland' as you can get- losing it would be a huge blow to the park as a whole. It's also an attraction that's authentic- it isn't pretending to be something it isn't- which makes it all the more important.

Californian Elitist

Getting to go inside Walt's Apt was one of the highlights of my program (topped only by a different tour I got).

For me, it was THE highlight. I did get to see the Dream Suite as well, which is also very impressive (they managed to fit a backyard patio in that space), but it didn’t compare to the apartment. I’m happy Disney has opened it to the public, albeit for a price.

MarvelCharacterNerd

DLR:
Dapper Dans
Characters
Cast Members

DCA:
Marvel characters
Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off!
Lighting at dusk of Cars Land (tough call over Five & Dime - which would've been my next choice - but I think this is the most perfectly themed immersive land ever and that moment is pure magic)

YMMV

disneyC97

The whole entrance to Disneyland- The Main Street Station, the tunnels w/posters, Town Square, Main Street, the hub, and castle should never be changed. That whole package is essential to Disneyland and it's really remarkable that they basically perfected it back in '55- no other land in the park has had as little change.

The DLRR Railroad is just as essential- Disneyland thrives on depicting a mythological view of America- relying on timeless themes (yesterday, tomorrow, fantasy, frontier/exploration) and imagery to really tap into something special. The Railroad is about as quintessential 'American' and 'Disneyland' as you can get- losing it would be a huge blow to the park as a whole. It's also an attraction that's authentic- it isn't pretending to be something it isn't- which makes it all the more important.
Agree 100%… And the only park left with an actual Main Street Cinema and some version of the Penny Arcade.

Last edited:

disneyC97

Disneyland:
1. Castle Courtyard
2. Matterhorn
3. Disneyland Opera House (inc. everything inside)

DCA:
1. Cars Land
2. BV Street with the Trolley!
3. Paradise Gardens

random #2 comment... How did they get the DCA Starbucks so right and the Disneyland one so wrong (IMHO)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom