Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Wendy Pleakley

I would not be surprised if Disney is now working on a VOD component of Disney+ to offer the movies being shelved during the theater shutdown.

More likely they'd use existing infrastructure if they go this route, i.e. making movies available to rent on iTunes.

I don't think this is super likely either way. The films Universal is doing this with (The Invisible Man, The Hunt, and Emma) aren't big tentpole movies like Mulan and Black Widow, which really need a theatrical release to turn a decent profit.

It will be interesting to see how this VOD approach works though, for the movies that utilize it. This is something that movie studios have been interested in trying for a while now, letting people rent movies immediately at a premium price, with movie theaters naturally opposing the move.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
More likely they'd use existing infrastructure if they go this route, i.e. making movies available to rent on iTunes.

I don't think this is super likely either way. The films Universal is doing this with (The Invisible Man, The Hunt, and Emma) aren't big tentpole movies like Mulan and Black Widow, which really need a theatrical release to turn a decent profit.

It will be interesting to see how this VOD approach works though, for the movies that utilize it. This is something that movie studios have been interested in trying for a while now, letting people rent movies immediately at a premium price, with movie theaters naturally opposing the move.

I would think they would get it out to as many revenue streams as possible. Deals would just have to be worked out for revenue breakdowns. I suspect the major theater chains will have a VOD offering pretty soon if not already. Doesn't AMC already have an VOD service?

VOD has been something that is happening for smaller independent movies for awhile now. So its just a matter of the larger studios doing it as well, like you said they've been wanting to do it anyways.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Indeed. From their Press site...

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom