Coronavirus impact on DVC

Club Cooloholic

Long-term closure was definitely not something planned on when the master deeds were set up. I don't know timeshare or property laws, but I wonder if there's a way to file with the state to extend the end-date of all contracts by a set amount, thereby opening the inventory up in the system to make those points usable again.

-Rob
That is an idea...tacking on another year to the contract, but again all those points for all those people cant just be put in for next year, there just aren't enough rooms.

nickys

Premium Member
That is an idea...tacking on another year to the contract, but again all those points for all those people cant just be put in for next year, there just aren't enough rooms.

At some point they will need to invoke the no banking or no borrowing rules. Or both.

If they stopped borrowing for new reservations then in theory that’s less points around, but I’m not sure how much impact that would have. You would still have the points currently being banked and “un-borrowed“ in the system for next year.

I still think we may yet hear about possibly waiving maintenance fees on points that are lost due to the closures. If that was extended to those who were stopped from banking points, maybe that would soften the blow if they invoke no banking points? But I don’t know if they can legally do that.

Club Cooloholic

At some point they will need to invoke the no banking or no borrowing rules. Or both.

If they stopped borrowing for new reservations then in theory that’s less points around, but I’m not sure how much impact that would have. You would still have the points currently being banked and “un-borrowed“ in the system for next year.

I still think we may yet hear about possibly waiving maintenance fees on points that are lost due to the closures. If that was extended to those who were stopped from banking points, maybe that would soften the blow if they invoke no banking points? But I don’t know if they can legally do that.
Well lets be honest, there is certainly less "maintenance" going on during this shutdown, housekeeping, security, daily cleaning, heating pools, less electricity, all that is down, so the maintenance fees should be down as well. So either some of these fees are put back, or more likely next years fees actually stay level or go down.

correcaminos

Well lets be honest, there is certainly less "maintenance" going on during this shutdown, housekeeping, security, daily cleaning, heating pools, less electricity, all that is down, so the maintenance fees should be down as well. So either some of these fees are put back, or more likely next years fees actually stay level or go down.
Only utilities might be down. CMs are still being paid. I wouldn't count on decreases given the increase in wages we are paying for.

If parks are not open by Memorial Day we have bigger issues in this country to worry about.

Club Cooloholic

Only utilities might be down. CMs are still being paid. I wouldn't count on decreases given the increase in wages we are paying for.

If parks are not open by Memorial Day we have bigger issues in this country to worry about.
I am fine with CMs being paid...and ok with increased wages.

nickys

Premium Member

Yeah, I don’t expect the mfs to actually go down. But hopefully the increase will be minimal, maybe even no increase.

seascape

Yeah, I don’t expect the mfs to actually go down. But hopefully the increase will be minimal, maybe even no increase.
We are paying the Cast Members their salaries. I seriously doubt Orange County property taxes will go down, they will actually go up the maximum amount Florida will allow. The only decrease in expenses I see is utility bills. So in actuality Maintenance fees will go up and not down. Over on the hotel side expect an increase in the hotel tax because the convention center is losing a fortune and has bonds to pay.

Nottamus

We had to cancel out trip (which would have been the day after tomorrow
And I was grateful that we could cancel and get points back
Now, out of the 88 we got back...we could only bank 14 and probably lose the 74, and I totally understand. As much as it stings to lose 74 points ...I know they can’t let everyone bank everything...just not enough rooms

I

We have a two week trip booked in November, and really hope all is up and running by then. If not, we have other things to worry about, as someone stated above.

nickys

Premium Member
We had to cancel out trip (which would have been the day after tomorrow
And I was grateful that we could cancel and get points back
Now, out of the 88 we got back...we could only bank 14 and probably lose the 74, and I totally understand. As much as it stings to lose 74 points ...I know they can’t let everyone bank everything...just not enough rooms

I

We have a two week trip booked in November, and really hope all is up and running by then. If not, we have other things to worry about, as someone stated above.

Not knowing the make up of your points, this may not help. But if for some reason you have points used for your November stay that could be banked, if you modify that even without actually making any changes, ( just confirm the same dates) the system may reallocate the points to use the points that are expiring so you can bank more. If not, a call to MS can achieve the same end.

Nottamus

Not knowing the make up of your points, this may not help. But if for some reason you have points used for your November stay that could be banked, if you modify that even without actually making any changes, ( just confirm the same dates) the system may reallocate the points to use the points that are expiring so you can bank more. If not, a call to MS can achieve the same end.

sorry, I should have noted that the 74 in question were from previous year already banked into this year, and they couldn’t re allocate November points to accommodate. My Wife did talk to MS and they suggested using in RCI.

cmwade77

We are paying the Cast Members their salaries. I seriously doubt Orange County property taxes will go down, they will actually go up the maximum amount Florida will allow. The only decrease in expenses I see is utility bills. So in actuality Maintenance fees will go up and not down. Over on the hotel side expect an increase in the hotel tax because the convention center is losing a fortune and has bonds to pay.
Actually, if the stimulus package goes through AND Disney doesn't lay off any permanent staff members, then we will only be paying 50% of the wages, the other 50% will be paid by the government. Although one could argue we are still paying it, just in a different way.

Phonedave

I have a trip planned in late August and I am still very concerned. I've heard (now they are all rumors but...) that even when they open a lot of stuff will be scaled back. no parades, shorter hours etc.

So I'm definitely not buying any passes or airplane tickets until as late as possible.

We just bought airline tickets for our reservation in Hilton Head the end of June. It is looking less and less like it is going ot happen, but United's policy is for tickets bought in March 2020, there will be no change fees if you have to change the dates. We figured with prices the way they are now, and not charge to change the dates if we have to, there is little risk.

Phonedave

Long-term closure was definitely not something planned on when the master deeds were set up. I don't know timeshare or property laws, but I wonder if there's a way to file with the state to extend the end-date of all contracts by a set amount, thereby opening the inventory up in the system to make those points usable again.

-Rob

Yeah, by deed, DVC is required to keep a certain amount of units (or points) unsold in order to provide capacity for when rooms are not available due to maintenance or other events such as a fire. Nothing was ever considered about what to do if every single room in the entire time share is no longer available.

Club Cooloholic

We just bought airline tickets for our reservation in Hilton Head the end of June. It is looking less and less like it is going ot happen, but United's policy is for tickets bought in March 2020, there will be no change fees if you have to change the dates. We figured with prices the way they are now, and not charge to change the dates if we have to, there is little risk.
They extended that policy through April it looks like.

imsosarah

Does anyone have a set date they feel is safe to book a trip? Is it Mid may and beyond. Late June... August?

I would say late July/August maybe - but depends a lot on the florida numbers - they were SO late at locking things down their "curve" may be later - and expect an increase again after 30-60 days when things open....My guess is we may see the same level of cancellations in fall/winter.

Club Cooloholic

I would say late July/August maybe - but depends a lot on the florida numbers - they were SO late at locking things down their "curve" may be later - and expect an increase again after 30-60 days when things open....My guess is we may see the same level of cancellations in fall/winter.
I have a November reservation, and was thinking of moving it to August to sort of have something to look forward to after all this but now I am worried about even late August.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom