What's Still On and What's Now Off

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.

drizgirl

I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

• Tron Coaster
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Coco Attraction
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.
People won't distance themselves at the grocery store. They're not going to do it at Disney either.

I wonder if they'll shutter the SW hotel as long as they shuttered the other half of Pop Century.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Wow no Star Wars hotel. Makes sense though, who would want to pay $3000 for one night after Corona.

The situation is serious enough that there is real talk about abandoning Guardians and letting it just sit for potentially years. Right now it's still on... but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy.

the.dreamfinder

People won't distance themselves at the grocery store. They're not going to do it at Disney either.

I wonder if they'll shutter the SW hotel as long as they shuttered the other half of Pop Century.
The profit margin needed to make SW Hotel work is, of should still be, fairly high.

jinx8402

Wow if they don't open by summer . . . . bankruptcy?

The Tokyo Olympics moving to 2021 really hurts WDW's summer hopes.

I don't think the the Olympics being postponed can be used as a barometer on when things potentially could reopen. A big part of the problem is that athletes can't train leading up to the games, coupled with qualifying events that still need to occur for certain sports. It's a unique situation.

UNCgolf

Kids, this is why you don’t spend $50 billion+ on stock buybacks.

This is why it's hilarious when people are attacked for not having savings while also wanting to bail out huge corporations. Why should individual people bother with savings to get them through a crisis when gigantic corporations don't bother keeping cash reserves for a crisis?

drew81

• Tron Coaster
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Coco Attraction

No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.

Any word on dining/character dining changes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom