Favorite Restaurants with Kids (Table or QS!)

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I'm noticing that the majority of menus I see online have the same Mac n Cheese, Chicken Tenders, and Cheeseburgers. Very few seem to have a decent variety and my almost 9 year old isn't very happy about it (though my VERY picky 2 year old is thrilled).

What are your favorite spots with kids?

I'm going to be booking our ADRs soon and I'm trying to come up with a good plan!
So far our list includes:
  1. Breakfast:
    1. Be Our Guest (QS)
    2. Docking Bay (QS)
    3. Yak & Yeti (QS)
    4. Trattoria al Forno (TS)
    5. O'hana (TS)
    6. Chef Mickey's (TS - Brunch)
  2. Dinner:
    1. Crystal Palace (TS)
    2. Mama Melrose (TS)
    3. Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn (QS)
    4. Space220 (TS) - Permitting it's open
    5. Tusker House (TS)
We'll be there for 9 nights so I'm still needing two more table service meals (possibly 3 if Space220 doesn't take the Dining Plan).

I'm also TOTALLY open to changing some of the meals. The only ones we have our hearts set on are O'hana and Chef Mickey's. Any of the others could honestly be switched out and I probably wouldn't be too upset.

Side note: Traveling with my daughter (who will be 9) and my son (who will be turning 3 on our last day). Also interested in ideas for where to go for his birthday dinner!

HouCuseChickie

If you're looking for 1 credit meals, I recall my kids enjoying the options at Sanaa back when Disney considered them to be kids. They had more basic things like pizza and a burger as well as some full menu items in kid portions, like the butter chicken and sauteed shrimp.

For the bday meal, I usually find a character meal to be the best option. We had one trip where we celebrated my younger one's 4th bday at California Grill because she loved it so much on a previous trip, but it kind of fell flat outside of the fireworks and the cake I had delivered to the meal.

zurgandfriend

My DS always loved Whispering Canyon in the Wilderness Lodge and the 50's Prime time Cafe. As mentioned the California Grill was another favorite.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
If you're looking for 1 credit meals, I recall my kids enjoying the options at Sanaa back when Disney considered them to be kids. They had more basic things like pizza and a burger as well as some full menu items in kid portions, like the butter chicken and sauteed shrimp.

For the bday meal, I usually find a character meal to be the best option. We had one trip where we celebrated my younger one's 4th bday at California Grill because she loved it so much on a previous trip, but it kind of fell flat outside of the fireworks and the cake I had delivered to the meal.

I honestly didn't even look at Sanaa's menu because I thought it would be too far off for my kiddos, but I'm going to check it out now!

My only issue with his birthday is that we're going to go to Magic Kingdom which will be closing early for the Halloween Party, so we either have to do Crystal Palace or go somewhere outside of the parks (we're just getting base tickets, it doesn't make sense for us to Park Hop).

My DS always loved Whispering Canyon in the Wilderness Lodge and the 50's Prime time Cafe. As mentioned the California Grill was another favorite.

I've never been to Whispering Canyon! I'll have to check it out!
My only problem with California Grill is that we'll be in Epcot for Food & Wine and I'd rather just snack at each booth then do a full sit down meal - though my daughter has convinced me that if Space 220 is open we "HAVEEEEEEEE" to go because she's on a space kick.

HouCuseChickie

I honestly didn't even look at Sanaa's menu because I thought it would be too far off for my kiddos, but I'm going to check it out now!

My only issue with his birthday is that we're going to go to Magic Kingdom which will be closing early for the Halloween Party, so we either have to do Crystal Palace or go somewhere outside of the parks (we're just getting base tickets, it doesn't make sense for us to Park Hop).

If you go to Sanaa, just make sure you consider daylight hours, since you want to be able to see the savannas.

I usually try and plan bday meals outside of MK since you can no longer get a custom cake inside MK. I know a cake is not a must for everyone, but it's a tradition for us that often guides our plans. I also like planning a meal with a view of the fireworks if there's a party going on in MK...so we can get to appreciate the special fireworks from a vantage point where we can see all of the peripheral effects without the hard ticketed event price to see them in the parks. Narcoosee's, California Grill, or 'Ohana timed with the Halloween fireworks might be my first choices for an evening like that. Alternately, you could try and plan 1900 PF, 'Ohana, or Chef Mickey's before fireworks and then head out after your meal to that resort's best view points (like the Poly beach, Contemporary 4th floor obsv. deck, or the GF dock). I know your younger one will be 2 going on 3 and that wouldn't exactly be a normally timed dinner, but when mine were that young, I was that parent that would play around with nap time to make sure they were well rested for a later meal so we could enjoy such things. I know this isn't for everyone and some kids just don't do well with it, but if you think yours would be OK...it could be a fun bday meal consideration.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
If you go to Sanaa, just make sure you consider daylight hours, since you want to be able to see the savannas.

I usually try and plan bday meals outside of MK since you can no longer get a custom cake inside MK. I know a cake is not a must for everyone, but it's a tradition for us that often guides our plans. I also like planning a meal with a view of the fireworks if there's a party going on in MK...so we can get to appreciate the special fireworks from a vantage point where we can see all of the peripheral effects without the hard ticketed event price to see them in the parks. Narcoosee's, California Grill, or 'Ohana timed with the Halloween fireworks might be my first choices for an evening like that. Alternately, you could try and plan 1900 PF, 'Ohana, or Chef Mickey's before fireworks and then head out after your meal to that resort's best view points (like the Poly beach, Contemporary 4th floor obsv. deck, or the GF dock). I know your younger one will be 2 going on 3 and that wouldn't exactly be a normally timed dinner, but when mine were that young, I was that parent that would play around with nap time to make sure they were well rested for a later meal so we could enjoy such things. I know this isn't for everyone and some kids just don't do well with it, but if you think yours would be OK...it could be a fun bday meal consideration.

Those are great ideas! My son LOVES Mickey, but my daughter has her heart set on Chef Mickey's brunch, we might just have to go twice. Or I can tell my daughter to pick a different character meal for brunch one day.

I'm TOTALLY chill with whatever meal times. I honestly mess with our meal times so much at Disney it's kinda ridiculous. We have plans to hit the parks right when they open so that we can head back to the resort for my son to nap (unless he sleeps in his stroller which is what I'm hoping for) and then go back in the late afternoon. On our last trip we did a lot of early or late dinners depending on other meals.

How do you get a custom cake? I checked the website, but have come up pretty empty handed.

HouCuseChickie

Those are great ideas! My son LOVES Mickey, but my daughter has her heart set on Chef Mickey's brunch, we might just have to go twice. Or I can tell my daughter to pick a different character meal for brunch one day.

I'm TOTALLY chill with whatever meal times. I honestly mess with our meal times so much at Disney it's kinda ridiculous. We have plans to hit the parks right when they open so that we can head back to the resort for my son to nap (unless he sleeps in his stroller which is what I'm hoping for) and then go back in the late afternoon. On our last trip we did a lot of early or late dinners depending on other meals.

How do you get a custom cake? I checked the website, but have come up pretty empty handed.

The beauty of Disney is that there are so many options! One of my friends just added on breakfast at Toppolino's as an alternative to Chef Mickey's.

You definitely open up a lot of options when you can have a flexible schedule. I know some people thought I was insane with some of the stuff I booked for my younger one's two trips as a 2-year old, but well timed naps meant getting to do so many neat evening things. My kids were never stroller nappers, so we had to plan a time for rest at the room when they were young, but we certainly made it work and did so much.

The majority of the restaurants have options you can order right from the podium, but if you want something custom, you need to order in advance. Disney's website info is pretty basic. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cake-orders/ I used to maintain a thread on here about cakes, but I got tired of keeping up with all of the changes. If you need current info on how, what, where, etc., you can use this website. https://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/ and go through all of the various pages. She (Carrie/Lurkyloo) has a Cake Chatter thread on "another Disney forum," but the Travel Babble site has all of the info you need. I can also try and help if you have questions. They can get pretty creative, so you are certainly not limited to the pictures you see on her site or what I share below. Not sure if you wanted to see a ton of cakes :hilarious: but just to give you some more ideas beyond her site, these are the cakes I've ordered for my trips. While I would not advise using it for cake ordering info, there are more pictures on my old thread too. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...e-the-official-cake-talk.863023/#post-5419446

This was from my Jan 2020 trip (YC/BC bakery)
49357786701_639b440442_z.jpg

Dec 2017 (GF bakery)
27498521409_d39f96e444_z.jpg

July 2016 (GF bakery)
28519154951_df8dee7bfe_z.jpg

July 2016 (Amorette's in DS)
27979770124_155f2303f7_z.jpg

August 2015 (GF bakery)
20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg

November 2014 (Contemporary bakery)
15125413213_0d1e5ba21e_z.jpg

September 2013 (Contemporary bakery)
10282167675_ab4aa337d8_z.jpg

September 2013 (Contemporary bakery) *only cake I've ordered that I truly disliked!
10063096904_26a0f56da9_z.jpg

November 2012 (Contemporary bakery)
8225287829_9c6af550b8_z.jpg

August 2011 (Contemporary bakery)
6062864998_7ba5d5710d_z.jpg

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
The beauty of Disney is that there are so many options! One of my friends just added on breakfast at Toppolino's as an alternative to Chef Mickey's.

You definitely open up a lot of options when you can have a flexible schedule. I know some people thought I was insane with some of the stuff I booked for my younger one's two trips as a 2-year old, but well timed naps meant getting to do so many neat evening things. My kids were never stroller nappers, so we had to plan a time for rest at the room when they were young, but we certainly made it work and did so much.

The majority of the restaurants have options you can order right from the podium, but if you want something custom, you need to order in advance. Disney's website info is pretty basic. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cake-orders/ I used to maintain a thread on here about cakes, but I got tired of keeping up with all of the changes. If you need current info on how, what, where, etc., you can use this website. https://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/ and go through all of the various pages. She (Carrie/Lurkyloo) has a Cake Chatter thread on "another Disney forum," but the Travel Babble site has all of the info you need. I can also try and help if you have questions. They can get pretty creative, so you are certainly not limited to the pictures you see on her site or what I share below. Not sure if you wanted to see a ton of cakes :hilarious: but just to give you some more ideas beyond her site, these are the cakes I've ordered for my trips. While I would not advise using it for cake ordering info, there are more pictures on my old thread too. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...e-the-official-cake-talk.863023/#post-5419446

This was from my Jan 2020 trip (YC/BC bakery)
49357786701_639b440442_z.jpg

Dec 2017 (GF bakery)
27498521409_d39f96e444_z.jpg

July 2016 (GF bakery)
28519154951_df8dee7bfe_z.jpg

July 2016 (Amorette's in DS)
27979770124_155f2303f7_z.jpg

August 2015 (GF bakery)
20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg

November 2014 (Contemporary bakery)
15125413213_0d1e5ba21e_z.jpg

September 2013 (Contemporary bakery)
10282167675_ab4aa337d8_z.jpg

September 2013 (Contemporary bakery) *only cake I've ordered that I truly disliked!
10063096904_26a0f56da9_z.jpg

November 2012 (Contemporary bakery)
8225287829_9c6af550b8_z.jpg

August 2011 (Contemporary bakery)
6062864998_7ba5d5710d_z.jpg

Those are all so cute! I'll definitely have to check them out. We were just planning on getting a few cupcakes, but those are beautiful!

JIMINYCR

DS always enjoyed Sci-Fi drive in, sitting in the darkened drive in with the movie clips playing. He had never been in a real drive in because all ours had shut down. 50's Prime Time was also one he enjoyed depending on the wait CM's banter as long as it wasnt too out there. He also enjoyed the Biergarten entertainment, limited kids items but he was willing to try some of the "adult" foods offered and found he enjoyed them.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
DS always enjoyed Sci-Fi drive in, sitting in the darkened drive in with the movie clips playing. He had never been in a real drive in because all ours had shut down. 50's Prime Time was also one he enjoyed depending on the wait CM's banter as long as it wasnt too out there. He also enjoyed the Biergarten entertainment, limited kids items but he was willing to try some of the "adult" foods offered and found he enjoyed them.

We did Sci-Fi last trip and I honestly wasn't a fan, but everyone else seems to love it so maybe I'll give it another chance.

My only problem with my daughter is that we're on the dining plan so she's stuck with the kid's menu.

belledream

Another option at MK is Skipper Canteen - the cuisine is definitely a different pace from the typical restaurant for kids and adults. There's a lot to look at, and the CMs are a lot of fun!

Epcot - Teppan Edo may be a good choice for food + entertainment if you don't really do that kind of dining at home.

HS - I'd keep Mama Melrose's over Sci-Fi and Prime Time.

Also maybe check out Satu'li Canteen for a QS meal at AK. Your daughter can create her own bowl of deliciousness.

Simba’s Mom

I always wondered how many young kids "get it" completely at Sci-Fi and 50s Prime Time. I took DS to Sci-Fi once, and asked him if he knew what the things were that were hanging from the poles near the cars (the speakers). He didn't. Then when I was at 50s Prime Time, and the whole room was singing along to the theme song from "Car 54, Where are You?" I couldn't help but wonder how many kids knew what Idlewild was when it was mentioned in the song. My young grandchildren loved Tusker House (any meal) best.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Another option at MK is Skipper Canteen - the cuisine is definitely a different pace from the typical restaurant for kids and adults. There's a lot to look at, and the CMs are a lot of fun!

Epcot - Teppan Edo may be a good choice for food + entertainment if you don't really do that kind of dining at home.

HS - I'd keep Mama Melrose's over Sci-Fi and Prime Time.

Also maybe check out Satu'li Canteen for a QS meal at AK. Your daughter can create her own bowl of deliciousness.

I checked the menu for Skipper Canteen and while I think it sounds DELICIOUS - My SO wouldn't like anything on the menu. 😭
He's almost as picky as our 2 year old.

We usually stick to QS at Epcot because we LOVE trying so many different foods, but I'll keep Teppan Edo in mind just incase we need an extra.

I think Mama Melrose is my #1 choice for HS right now, will that change once Roundup BBQ is open (permitting they accept the dining plan)? Maybe. Possible. WHO KNOWS?! Haha.

That's a great idea! My 2 year old wouldn't be a fan, but my 8 year old would love it. Since I'm planning so many TS I keep looking at the QS with the same mentality - gotta find something both of them will like from the same place - but for QS I don't have to. We could each go somewhere totally different. Duh. Mom brain. :banghead:

I always wondered how many young kids "get it" completely at Sci-Fi and 50s Prime Time. I took DS to Sci-Fi once, and asked him if he knew what the things were that were hanging from the poles near the cars (the speakers). He didn't. Then when I was at 50s Prime Time, and the whole room was singing along to the theme song from "Car 54, Where are You?" I couldn't help but wonder how many kids knew what Idlewild was when it was mentioned in the song. My young grandchildren loved Tusker House (any meal) best.

We actually have a Drive-In about 45 minutes from us that I've taken my daughter to before, so she definitely understands the concept for Sci-Fi, but I ABSOLUTELY agree. She would be shocked at 50s Prime Time. When I was little I used to watch reruns of TONS of old shows with my grandparents, but my daughter would be so confused. I don't even know how to "fix" that. Hahaha.

I loved Tusker House, but I remember my daughter not liking it (though she claims she did). UGH. Why does planning food have to be so difficult?!

belledream

I checked the menu for Skipper Canteen and while I think it sounds DELICIOUS - My SO wouldn't like anything on the menu. 😭
He's almost as picky as our 2 year old.

We usually stick to QS at Epcot because we LOVE trying so many different foods, but I'll keep Teppan Edo in mind just incase we need an extra.

I think Mama Melrose is my #1 choice for HS right now, will that change once Roundup BBQ is open (permitting they accept the dining plan)? Maybe. Possible. WHO KNOWS?! Haha.

That's a great idea! My 2 year old wouldn't be a fan, but my 8 year old would love it. Since I'm planning so many TS I keep looking at the QS with the same mentality - gotta find something both of them will like from the same place - but for QS I don't have to. We could each go somewhere totally different. Duh. Mom brain. :banghead:

We actually have a Drive-In about 45 minutes from us that I've taken my daughter to before, so she definitely understands the concept for Sci-Fi, but I ABSOLUTELY agree. She would be shocked at 50s Prime Time. When I was little I used to watch reruns of TONS of old shows with my grandparents, but my daughter would be so confused. I don't even know how to "fix" that. Hahaha.

I loved Tusker House, but I remember my daughter not liking it (though she claims she did). UGH. Why does planning food have to be so difficult?!
Haha! Sounds like you're constantly trying to find a middle ground between the adventurous and picky eaters in the fam.

Epcot has the best QS! If you're feeling like Japanese food but QS, definitely look into Katsura Grill. The outdoor seating area is lovely too.

I would totally get a flatbread from Pizzafari for a more mainstream meal in addition to my Satu'li bowl. Best of both worlds. :)

Hope you have a great trip!

Hcalvert

My nieces and nephews (ages 6-11) really liked the Rainforest Cafe at DAK for the ambiance and food.

They liked Story Book dining for the characters, not so much the food, although they have chicken fingers available on request.

DVCakaCarlF

I know everyone is going to throw up when I say this, but I throw rocks at Be Our Guest...there are better restaurants for less and better quality.

Tusker, Skipper, Yak, Spice Road...

DVCakaCarlF

If you can swing it, try Circle of Flavors at Harambe. Good selection of unique and varied selection for everyone...I took my one and four year old, and we had a great time.

mmnw

I think Whispering Canyon is a great suggestion. Consider throwing The Plaza into the mix (not for a bday.). Fun for milkshakes.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I know everyone is going to throw up when I say this, but I throw rocks at Be Our Guest...there are better restaurants for less and better quality.

Tusker, Skipper, Yak, Spice Road...

Of BOG wasn't a QS credit I wouldn't have chosen it. Hahaha. It's decent for a QS breakfast and my daughter just loves going into the Beast's Castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom