Coronavirus impact on DVC

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
There is a general thread on the virus and impacts to WDW but I didn’t want to bog that one down with specific talk of DVC.

What happens if WDW closes the parks and resorts for a period of time? It’s easier to cancel a hotel room but what happens to DVC points used to book rooms during the closure? Will they waive some of the bank and borrow rules to allow people to bank into next year to re-book then? This is uncharted territory since any closures for hurricanes have been less widespread and probably shorter in duration.

nickys

Premium Member
Posted on another thread and this was from earlier, before the news about DL broke.

Lots of chatter right now with people who have called DVC about cancelling.

Sounds like they are looking at each case, but many have reported:

- Waiving points being put into holding

- Returning borrowed points to the next use year

Not seen posts about banking points from a cancelled reservation beyond the deadline, but it does seem like they’re looking at each case.

Definitely phone them if you’re having to cancel.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All I can relate is OUR experience....

We canceled our DVC Room for APR 20 - APR 28, last week. This was well ahead of the "cancel within 30 days" window that an OWNER needs, to avoid "Holding Point Limbo".

All of our points were returned, and our NOV trips (Us, and oldest son), got rebalanced to use our 2019 banked points FIRST. It happened without a phone call :).

To boot? Delta totally refunded our air - on non-refundable tickets. We were totally shocked.

Our only "hit"? Only got one trip out of our Annual Pass.

nickys

Premium Member
All I can relate is OUR experience....

We canceled our DVC Room for APR 20 - APR 28, last week. This was well ahead of the "cancel within 30 days" window that an OWNER needs, to avoid "Holding Point Limbo".

All of our points were returned, and our NOV trips (Us, and oldest son), got rebalanced to use our 2019 banked points FIRST. It happened without a phone call :).

To boot? Delta totally refunded our air - on non-refundable tickets. We were totally shocked.

Our only "hit"? Only got one trip out of our Annual Pass.

The “rebalancing “ of your points is something that happens automatically now with the modify function on the website.

It’s a trick that many people have discovered since that feature was implemented. It even works if you modify and select the same dates.

correcaminos

So due to things our governor did today, we opted to cancel. I do not have faith enough coming back home safely.

They removed the hold on the points without me even asking and unborrowed them from 2020 for us. We have a June UY so them doing this was a big help as I have through May 2021 to use or of course bank in right amount of time.

EOD K9

My cruise is in 28 days and I have one night at SSR prior. Are we saying that a canceled stay would place the points back into the regular account and not into holding?

nickys

Premium Member
My cruise is in 28 days and I have one night at SSR prior. Are we saying that a canceled stay would place the points back into the regular account and not into holding?

Yes. It may take a few days to actually move out of holding but they will do.

And they are also putting borrowed points back to their original use year.

Last edited:

seascape

It took a long time to get through but the Cast Members at DVC are great. They are having a very difficult time with all the calls and changes they have to do but be patient. The Cast Member cancelled my reservations for April, moved my banked points into my September reservation and borrowed points into my November reservation. It is confusing having 3 resorts in my use year and using the 11 month window. I hope Disney does something special for these Cast Members who will probably be working while the parks are closed. As many people here know I was constantly posting that all Cast Members should be paid during this time but now that Disney agreed to that, they should give our hardworking friends at DVC Member Services something extra.

jlag1006

It took a long time to get through but the Cast Members at DVC are great. They are having a very difficult time with all the calls and changes they have to do but be patient. The Cast Member cancelled my reservations for April, moved my banked points into my September reservation and borrowed points into my November reservation. It is confusing having 3 resorts in my use year and using the 11 month window. I hope Disney does something special for these Cast Members who will probably be working while the parks are closed. As many people here know I was constantly posting that all Cast Members should be paid during this time but now that Disney agreed to that, they should give our hardworking friends at DVC Member Services something extra.

Any tips on getting through? I've been trying all morning to cancel my reservation for next week and have had no luck. Glad to hear it was a good experience once you got through, though. :)

jlag1006

You can cancel online.

I realize that but with being less than 30 days out & hoping to receive some of the benefits mentioned in this thread (no holding, return of borrowed points to 2020 use year, etc), I would rather talk to someone than take my chances that it would automatically happen. This was unfortunately a different trip than we'll have planned in the near future, so those things would help a lot.

seascape

Any tips on getting through? I've been trying all morning to cancel my reservation for next week and have had no luck. Glad to hear it was a good experience once you got through, though. :)
I kept calling. When you finally get an answer and the message says hit 9 for questions, hit 9. I got through a couple of times and didn't and was disconnected. I would have done it online if my account with 3 different resorts and banking and borrowing wasn't so complicated.

nickys

Premium Member
I realize that but with being less than 30 days out & hoping to receive some of the benefits mentioned in this thread (no holding, return of borrowed points to 2020 use year, etc), I would rather talk to someone than take my chances that it would automatically happen. This was unfortunately a different trip than we'll have planned in the near future, so those things would help a lot.

There are posts on Mouseowners from people where it’s happened automatically. It seems overnight the system changed so that pounts don’t go into holding (although the warning about it still appears). And borrowed points were returned to their original (un-borrowed) use year.

jlag1006

There are posts on Mouseowners from people where it’s happened automatically. It seems overnight the system changed so that pounts don’t go into holding (although the warning about it still appears). And borrowed points were returned to their original (un-borrowed) use year.
Good to know! Thanks so much, I appreciate it :)

correcaminos

There are also many reports elsewhere saying it didn't happen. Though mine show still in holding, but should change soonish.

Try the chat option too.

Spaceman Biff

Is anyone else having issues with the DVC site? I keep trying to change/cancel an April trip I have booked and keep getting the Nothing to see here page with Rex. Have tried different browsers, incognito mode and different compute to no avail. Thanks

nickys

Premium Member
There are also many reports elsewhere saying it didn't happen. Though mine show still in holding, but should change soonish.

Try the chat option too.

Just had an email,from DVC confirming all points will be returned to the current use year and not be placed in a holding account or forfeited.

That doesn’t mean people won’t lose points of course. Points could still expire before the owner is able to use them.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See attached...if you have a magnifying glass 😉
ACABC286-7B74-4260-943C-544D7673F50B.png

correcaminos

Just had an email,from DVC confirming all points will be returned to the current use year and not be placed in a holding account or forfeited.

That doesn’t mean people won’t lose points of course. Points could still expire before the owner is able to use them.
Yep, saw that too

I do think if one cancels and sees it in holding, that they should try to contact after a week or two. Same with if points were not returned to the right use year. Exceptions can always be fixed later. Mine are still in holding but I called.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep, saw that too

I do think if one cancels and sees it in holding, that they should try to contact after a week or two. Same with if points were not returned to the right use year. Exceptions can always be fixed later. Mine are still in holding but I called.
1. No points to holding
2. All points returned to CURRENT Use year.
So no backpedaling on borrowing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom