News Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue replacing Liberty Inn

Movielover

Quick observations. Enjoy the towels on the table for now because they wont last 6 months from now. The generic style will replace.

Did I see an open soda machine? In world showcase? Risqué. Is it hidden meaning only those who purchased food can use or it is out in the open?

And unfortunately, these big portion and a quarter of the offerings will be eliminated in 6 months. And prices will go up. History tells.

Alas, the food looks really good.

1582554444354.png

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Quick observations. Enjoy the towels on the table for now because they wont last 6 months from now. The generic style will replace.

Did I see an open soda machine? In world showcase? Risqué. Is it hidden meaning only those who purchased food can use or it is out in the open?

And unfortunately, these big portion and a quarter of the offerings will be eliminated in 6 months. And prices will go up. History tells.

Epcot survived with a self serve soda station in the past.

1582556958527.png

Josh Hendy

Which reminds me, is there a good place for BBQ offsite near WDW? My family has always enjoyed eating offsite far more than at WDW venues. Mostly for better variety and better value.

Texas84

Had the ribs, beans and pickles today. This place is a winner. Not many tables open when I finished eating. Tried two sauces, both good.

The ribs were not fall off the bone but very good. Beans very good with the burnt ends. Don't get the pickles with your combo. Order them as an extra side to share. You get a bunch. Kind of bread and butter but less sweet that retains a hint of cucumber taste. I even used the special sink. Nice touch.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Had the ribs, beans and pickles today. This place is a winner. Not many tables open when I finished eating. Tried two sauces, both good.

The ribs were not fall off the bone but very good. Beans very good with the burnt ends. Don't get the pickles with your combo. Order them as an extra side to share. You get a bunch. Kind of bread and butter but less sweet that retains a hint of cucumber taste. I even used the special sink. Nice touch.

Ribs not falling off the bone is actually a good sign. A properly cooked spare or St. Louis cut rib should leave a visible bite mark without the meat sliding off the bone, but still come away from the bone cleanly. It can be a really fine line. If the meat has a mushy texture to it, it's been overcooked. If that's the way someone prefers their ribs, more power to them! It's no different than ordering a steak well done. When the meat starts to lose texture it's my experience that there is also a loss of flavor from the meat.

Ribs can be difficult to cook in quantity. Each rack is different, and as a result cooks differently. Besides different sizes, and weights there are differences in fat content. Taking 3-5 hours to cook, they aren't cooked to order. The window when each rack is perfectly cooked is small, and will vary from rack to rack. In a restaurant setting, unless the ribs are being served as quickly as they come off the pit they have to be held above 140 degrees, or cooled below 40 degrees within certain amount of time and then reheated above 165 briefly to kill any potential bacteria. More often than not they are held either in another pit, or in a heated cabinet at 140 or above. With loin back/baby backs the higher the salt content in the rub/sauce and the longer they are held the more likely you are to get a 'hammy' tasting rib. The same applies to spares and St. Louis cut but it doesn't seem to happen as often or as easily.

All of that to say that consistently good BBQ is really hard to produce in quantity. From what I've read it sounds like they are doing a good job, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Tom Morrow

I had high hopes for this place because many of the new WDW quick service locations, like Satu'li Canteen and Docking Bay 7, have actually followed through with pretty damn good food.

This, unfortunately, was not the case here. This borders on cafeteria BBQ. The meats were bland, and the portions were a bit small for the price. The sides were average and nothing special. The sauces were good at least, and the S'mores Brownie was also pretty good. I see this as an unfortunate step backward when the quality of WDW's quick service food has been improving significantly over the last several years.

If you're in the Orlando area and want some better BBQ, please consider Ravenous Pig, Pig Floyd's, Yellow Dog Eats, The Polite Pig at Disney Springs, and of course 4Rivers, though I feel they have decreased in quality lately. The only possible way you would see Regal Eagle as anything other than completely mediocre is if you've never had decent BBQ. Same thing applies to Flame Tree at DAK.

I will say the theming is surprisingly minimal and tasteful. If you didn't know this was a Muppet-themed restaurant, you wouldn't know unless you looked very closely.

Last edited:

jaxonp

I had high hopes for this place because many of the new WDW quick service locations, like Satu'li Canteen and Docking Bay 7, have actually followed through with pretty damn good food.

This, unfortunately, was not the case here. This borders on cafeteria BBQ. The meats were bland, and the portions were a bit small for the price. The sides were average and nothing special. The sauces were good at least, and the S'mores Brownie was also pretty good. I see this as an unfortunate step backward when the quality of WDW's quick service food has been improving significantly over the last several years.

If you're in the Orlando area and want some better BBQ, please consider Ravenous Pig, Pig Floyd's, Yellow Dog Eats, The Polite Pig at Disney Springs, and of course 4Rivers, though I feel they have decreased in quality lately. The only possible way you would see Regal Eagle as anything other than completely mediocre is if you've never had decent BBQ. Same thing applies to Flame Tree at DAK.

I will say the theming is surprisingly minimal and tasteful. If you didn't know this was a Muppet-themed restaurant, you wouldn't know unless you looked very closely.

I had quite the opposite experience. Group of 6 found this to be the best quick serve on property currently. Went three days in a row. Cafeteria BBQ is an extreme assessment. I can only imagine that you had an off day. This place is a real winner.

Tom Morrow

I had quite the opposite experience. Group of 6 found this to be the best quick serve on property currently. Went three days in a row. Cafeteria BBQ is an extreme assessment. I can only imagine that you had an off day. This place is a real winner.
It was around 8:00 PM so perhaps I didn’t get the best example of it, but have you eaten at a legit, high rated bbq place before? I genuinely can't imagine Regal Eagle improving that much to where it could compete with one.

Last edited:

Texas84

It was around 8:00 PM so perhaps I didn’t get the best example of it, but have you eaten at a legit, high rated bbq place before? I genuinely can't imagine Regal Eagle improving that much to where it could compete with one.
I'm comparing it to other WDW counter service. By that standard it's an A+. But yeah, I think I enjoyed Docking Bay 7 ribs more now that you mention it.

jaxonp

I'm comparing it to other WDW counter service. By that standard it's an A+. But yeah, I think I enjoyed Docking Bay 7 ribs more now that you mention it.
I’ve only been to docking bay twice and had gritty gross ribs. That could have been a one off and since everyone raves about it I’ll likely give it another go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom