Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Analyst

They have a certain criteria in regards to family-friendliness that they have. I can see why they may not want certain topics on Disney+. That's why they have Hulu.

But it’s dumb. They can easily just do what Netflix does and have a family friendly area that has parental controls.

Many of us (AKA everyone who isn’t the US) do not have Hulu. One of the reasons we got Disney+ was for grown up versions of Lizzie, as we grew up with it as kids. Or for shows like Love Simon.

They have a HUGE market of 20-30 somethings they are going to lose because of this stupidity.

mikejs78

Premium Member
But it’s dumb. They can easily just do what Netflix does and have a family friendly area that has parental controls.

Many of us (AKA everyone who isn’t the US) do not have Hulu. One of the reasons we got Disney+ was for grown up versions of Lizzie, as we grew up with it as kids. Or for shows like Love Simon.

They have a HUGE market of 20-30 somethings they are going to lose because of this stupidity.
They said from the beginning that Disney+ would be family friendly and Hulu would be for the adult content. It's not a matter of parental controls but rather brand protection. Disney as a brand has always been associated with family friendly content. That's why more adult films have always been on another label (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc).

I don't think they'll lose that market because the pure nostalgia play is there. Maybe some, but not a majority. And Hulu will be expanding internationally soon.

Disney Analyst

They said from the beginning that Disney+ would be family friendly and Hulu would be for the adult content. It's not a matter of parental controls but rather brand protection. Disney as a brand has always been associated with family friendly content. That's why more adult films have always been on another label (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc).

I don't think they'll lose that market because the pure nostalgia play is there. Maybe some, but not a majority. And Hulu will be expanding internationally soon.

I still maintain that their biggest streaming success will come when they scrap Hulu and combine everything together.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I still maintain that their biggest streaming success will come when they scrap Hulu and combine everything together.
I don't think that will ever happen. They'll never put adult themed content under the Disney brand.

"Disney+ presents... Pretty Woman, the story of a prostitute....". Nope, will never happen.

LSLS

With how the hulu kids section works I would much rather they keep the content seperated

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Which is arbitrary nonsense because they have The Simpsons on Disney+

This is about trying to justify having Hulu at all, something that was not needed for their streaming service goals.

My gut feeling tells me that at some point in the near future they will combining the two services under one app. Basically giving you guys what you want, a single app with parental controls to both services. Want Disney family friendly content, go the D+ section. Want more adult content, provided you have a subscription, then go to the Hulu section.

Yes it'll still be two streaming services (so they can keep both revenue streams and keep brand integrity), but at least it'll be under a single app. At least this is what I predict happening. And if I recall correct (though I could be remembering wrong) Iger mentioned something like that in one of the earnings calls after the Fox merger last year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

seascape

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ are available in a package that is the same cost as Netflix, so why should Disney demand everyone pay for both? Disney gives you the option to pay less and get which service you want.

Disney Analyst

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ are available in a package that is the same cost as Netflix, so why should Disney demand everyone pay for both? Disney gives you the option to pay less and get which service you want.

In America sure... in Canada we currently have one option. I will obviously get Hulu once they make it available to me, but it's just a silly system. They easily could combine and still maintain their Disney brand.

I think my biggest annoyance is when you announce things for a platform, and then move them to another. It's just ridiculous.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Lmao.

No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom