Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyson

I’m calling it, this + Poppins are the centerpieces of next D23 Expo. Nearly everything else announced will be open by then.

PorterRedkey

Again, however, just because they don't want to open a million different attractions on the same day for the 50th doesn't mean that they should do nothing for the 50th at all. And from the sound of it, that's what they're gonna do.
So TWO e-ticket coasters and a new (albeit not very exciting) pavilion for EPCOT is “NOTHING”?

I feel like I live in a parallel universe when people say this.
You may want them to do more, or you may want something different, that’s fine. However to say Disney is doing “nothing” or nothing major for the 50th is just factually wrong.

TTA94

I got a feeling FoF will become the next Dreams Come True Parade and run for about a decade till it catches fire again.

Well, they could, and wouldn’t surprise me if they do, swap out a few floats. One of those floats being Brave. If done right it might not be to bad. I don’t know if they would change the soundtrack like the “Dreams Come True” overlays.

jrhwdw

Sorry but SADCT-DDCT-CADCT worked for me! It might be good if done right.

Of course MK still needs a night parade or at least a second performance of FOF or whatever replaces FOF

TTA94

I still don’t understand why they can’t run FoF at night. Just like DLs daytime parades they look much better at night, as would FoF. We have already seen how cool the Maleficent dragon looks during the after hours event. All they need to do is permanently install parade route lighting, which the hub already has.

Squishy

I still don’t understand why they can’t run FoF at night. Just like DLs daytime parades they look much better at night, as would FoF. We have already seen how cool the Maleficent dragon looks during the after hours event. All they need to do is permanently install parade route lighting, which the hub already has.
Cause the floats don't have proper lighting like Magic Happens, they only have tiny led lights like seen on the first unit in Magic Happens.

TTA94

Cause the floats don't have proper lighting like Magic Happens, they only have tiny led lights like seen on the first unit in Magic Happens.

Well, If we don’t get a new day or night parade, they should at least update the floats to have onboard lighting. It can be done just like the seasonal parades. Although lighting that interacts with the music may be more complicated.
We know the hub lights can interact with music, but unfortunately the rest of the route doesn’t have that. Been wondering if that will eventually happen.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

How long has it been without one and has attendance dropped during that time?

And that is the problem. What’s interesting to me is that parades are very popular with guests, it’s not like smaller atmopshere acts that some guests see, and some don’t. Cutting parades back is probably the boldest move Disney parks has made actually.

With the attendance numbers where they are, each park should be getting a new parade for the 50th.

MadTeacup

And that is the problem. What’s interesting to me is that parades are very popular with guests, it’s not like smaller atmopshere acts that some guests see, and some don’t. Cutting parades back is probably the boldest move Disney parks has made actually.

With the attendance numbers where they are, each park should be getting a new parade for the 50th.
But on paper parades don't make money. Why would you spend money on something with no calculable return on investment? The shareholders will never see its value in an earnings report.

Also, I don't ever want a parade at DAK again. MJJ was cute, but it made it so difficult to get around the park. At EPCOT I'd rather see more atmospheric entertainment in lieu of a parade.

If they built new parades, I'd want to see a night parade at MK and a new day parade at DHS (either Pixar or a similar concept to Lights, Stars, and Motor Cars). FoF could maybe get an update or an additional unit (there's at least 2 that were designed), but it's one of the strongest day parades we've ever seen in the parks. There's no need to outright replace it when it's still so highly rated.

A Noble Fish

But on paper parades don't make money. Why would you spend money on something with no calculable return on investment? The shareholders will never see its value in an earnings report.

Also, I don't ever want a parade at DAK again. MJJ was cute, but it made it so difficult to get around the park. At EPCOT I'd rather see more atmospheric entertainment in lieu of a parade.

If they built new parades, I'd want to see a night parade at MK and a new day parade at DHS (either Pixar or a similar concept to Lights, Stars, and Motor Cars). FoF could maybe get an update or an additional unit (there's at least 2 that were designed), but it's one of the strongest day parades we've ever seen in the parks. There's no need to outright replace it when it's still so highly rated.
I agree, just maybe some costume updates here and there, and a couple of new floats. It's a solid parade, but Magic Happens is much better than expected so some updates to the current iteration would be welcome.

In the meantime, if you have seen Dreamlights over in Tokyo, you'll understand why people say it's as good as a fireworks replacement. It's spectacular. Dreamlights is in a league of its own, but Paint the Night, and even the Electrical Parade and SpectroMagic are all really solid additions to the parks. It's almost like another E-ticket for park guests, and alongside the psychology of a fireworks show, helps people remember the good aspects of your day. More return trips = more profit.

I would like to point out that John Debney did the music for both Phantom Manor and SpectroMagic and quite a few films. A little recognition goes a long way for a legend like that, and hardly anyone knows who he is.

MadTeacup

I agree, just maybe some costume updates here and there, and a couple of new floats. It's a solid parade, but Magic Happens is much better than expected so some updates to the current iteration would be welcome.
Interesting how people are reacting to Magic Happens. I've found reactions to be quite polarizing. I'm personally not a fan of it, though I can understand why others like it. For me, the costumes have a little too much going on in them and I am not a fan of the soundtrack. If there's one thing that most people agree on, it's that the floats are beautiful (except for the bronze sorcerer's hat.) Having said this, I think just about any of the Magic Happens units would fit into FoF quite nicely.

In the meantime, if you have seen Dreamlights over in Tokyo, you'll understand why people say it's as good as a fireworks replacement. It's spectacular. Dreamlights is in a league of its own, but Paint the Night, and even the Electrical Parade and SpectroMagic are all really solid additions to the parks. It's almost like another E-ticket for park guests, and alongside the psychology of a fireworks show, helps people remember the good aspects of your day. More return trips = more profit.
You're preaching to the choir. I want a new, high-quality night parade more than anything. To further prove your point, my oldest memory of the Magic Kingdom is from watching Spectro for the first time. Unfortunately, that kind of long-term investment on nostalgia isn't something that can be calculated. Hopefully the parks will remember the importance of these memorable shows and choose to invest in them.

I would like to point out that John Debney did the music for both Phantom Manor and SpectroMagic and quite a few films. A little recognition goes a long way for a legend like that, and hardly anyone knows who he is.
Debney is absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't mind if Disney tapped him again for a future soundtrack. Unfortunately (for me, at least), Magic Happens is an example where name recognition does not correlate to a good soundtrack. I am not the biggest fan of Todrick Hall's original songs.

Rich Brownn

EPCOT had one of the best parades ever done in a Disney park though :) "Tapestry of Nations". Also an ear worm of music...

Rich Brownn

Interesting how people are reacting to Magic Happens. I've found reactions to be quite polarizing. I'm personally not a fan of it, though I can understand why others like it. For me, the costumes have a little too much going on in them and I am not a fan of the soundtrack. If there's one thing that most people agree on, it's that the floats are beautiful (except for the bronze sorcerer's hat.) Having said this, I think just about any of the Magic Happens units would fit into FoF quite nicely.

You're preaching to the choir. I want a new, high-quality night parade more than anything. To further prove your point, my oldest memory of the Magic Kingdom is from watching Spectro for the first time. Unfortunately, that kind of long-term investment on nostalgia isn't something that can be calculated. Hopefully the parks will remember the importance of these memorable shows and choose to invest in them.

Debney is absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't mind if Disney tapped him again for a future soundtrack. Unfortunately (for me, at least), Magic Happens is an example where name recognition does not correlate to a good soundtrack. I am not the biggest fan of Todrick Hall's original songs.
My one complaint with Specto's music was .... its a waltz. That is not something that gets people hyped up. <Also a rather lackluster beginning and end compared to MSEP>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom