Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterRedkey

lol I'd have to agree. The 50th will be the dud so many thought it would be. I tried to be optimistic but they always prove me right ....
What about the 2 e-ticket coasters opening for the 50th, not to mention the new "play" pavilion? You also have 2 e-tickets opening this year with MMRR and Rat. Rat even includes a whole new area for the France pavilion. Oh and a revamped Future/Nature/Discovery area at EPCOT.

Sure, I would like something for AK, but we are getting (have gotten) a lot of new attractions. We may still get a night parade, so hold the doom and gloom for now. The last 4 years have been great for new additions. The problem is the parks were static for too long and now they are playing catch up. Also, the disturbing trend of tearing down classic attractions and replacing them does not help capacity when the attractions replacing them are lower in THRC.

Bocabear

All of those additions are kind of necessary due to overcrowding of the parks and shuttered attractions... I don't think the Disney PLAY! Pavilion is much of an addition VS what the old Wonders Of Life offered before they refused to update and then just closed it down...
WDW is the largest Disney park in the world...I refuse to applaud them for just keeping up with the crowd levels as they should do anyway.

Kman101

What about the 2 e-ticket coasters opening for the 50th, not to mention the new "play" pavilion? You also have 2 e-tickets opening this year with MMRR and Rat. Rat even includes a whole new area for the France pavilion. Oh and a revamped Future/Nature/Discovery area at EPCOT.

Sure, I would like something for AK, but we are getting (have gotten) a lot of new attractions. We may still get a night parade, so hold the doom and gloom for now. The last 4 years have been great for new additions. The problem is the parks were static for too long and now they are playing catch up. Also, the disturbing trend of tearing down classic attractions and replacing them does not help capacity when the attractions replacing them are lower in THRC.

Of course we have, but they've also spent, as you noted, years doing nothing or very little. They're STILL behind. Of course my comment wasn't meant to disregard what's being built, but does TRON *help* The Magic Kingdom? The parks are only getting busier. So I give them credit for finally doing things of course.

I wasn't exactly talking about massive e-tickets for the 50th. Where's the enhancements rides at Disneyland got for their anniversary? They could still happen, of course. But the clock is ticking.

Why did they budget cut the theater and move funds? Where did it go?

Let's also remember they budget cut Toy Story Land. Didn't think a third attraction in SWLand was needed. So for every good thing they do, they still have the same mindset that they've had for decades.

Kman101

All of those additions are kind of necessary due to overcrowding of the parks and shuttered attractions... I don't think the Disney PLAY! Pavilion is much of an addition VS what the old Wonders Of Life offered before they refused to update and then just closed it down...
WDW is the largest Disney park in the world...I refuse to applaud them for just keeping up with the crowd levels as they should do anyway.

THANK YOU!

This!

Even what they've done they could have done better ...

aladdin2007

agree, not only that but they aren't even using the show buildings attached to it (unless Im incorrect,) so it could have had attractions but it really isn't. Underutilized potential and space.

PorterRedkey

Of course we have, but they've also spent, as you noted, years doing nothing or very little. They're STILL behind. Of course my comment wasn't meant to disregard what's being built, but does TRON *help* The Magic Kingdom? The parks are only getting busier. So I give them credit for finally doing things of course.

I wasn't exactly talking about massive e-tickets for the 50th. Where's the enhancements rides at Disneyland got for their anniversary? They could still happen, of course. But the clock is ticking.

Why did they budget cut the theater and move funds? Where did it go?

Let's also remember they budget cut Toy Story Land. Didn't think a third attraction in SWLand was needed. So for every good thing they do, they still have the same mindset that they've had for decades.
Why AREN’T you talking about the massive e-tickets for the 50th? It is the biggest thing they are doing for the 50th! How then can you exclude them when evaluating that the 50th will be a disappointment?

As for your other points, they are different arguments that often focused on what is NOT happening instead of what IS happening.
Does Disney (especially TDO) build the wrong attractions in the wrong location? YES!

Lack of ride updates(BTMRR for example) for the 50th may or may not happen. So wait until we know one way or another.

I am also sad that the new MK theater has been mothballed for now. The theater would have been a much better way to increase capacity than a new e-ticket. However, this was never a "50th thing". Still, this focuses on what is NOT happening instead of what IS happening. WDW needs new monorails. Does it make the 50th bad because we are not getting new monorails?

Also, I agree about how crappy the budget cuts were, BUT that has nothing to do with the 50th. Is Disney's current "IP everything" mindset terrible? IMHO, yes! This doesn't mean that in the last 4 years they have added a bunch of e-ticket attractions, with 3 new LANDS! As someone who watched the parks stagnate for decades, I appreciate the AMOUNT of new attractions, if not the themes or appropriateness of the park in which it is built. They may not be building what they should, or what we want, but they are building. That is something that didn't happen much in the 2000s.

Brer Panther

So, you think WDW would open a dozen brand new, mostly E-Ticket rides all on the same day?
Well, no, but if those two rides are opening a year before the 50th, I don't think they really count as "additions for the 50th". I'm not asking for a hundred new rides, but more than just some merchandise, a banner or two, and cupcakes would be nice.

ToTBellHop

Well, no, but if those two rides are opening a year before the 50th, I don't think they really count as "additions for the 50th". I'm not asking for a hundred new rides, but more than just some merchandise, a banner or two, and cupcakes would be nice.
How about $500,000,000 worth of roller coasters? Disneyland got a rebuild (begrudgingly before it killed someone) coaster and Buzz.

DoleWhipDrea

It would be foolish to debut every single new addition for the 50th at the same time. In terms of operations, it would be a mess. In terms of finances, it would be hard on Disney’s budgeting, especially now that we factor in the unexpected closures due to the coronavirus. And it would be a major bummer to anyone visiting before the 50th. Imagine if Disney held off opening SWGE until the 50th? New additions have to be staggered, so ideally once the anniversary does come around, there’s fresh fun things to see and do, and yet Disney can also advertise that more is coming in the next few years. Everyone would wait to visit if everything opened at once. You don’t demo your whole house all at once while living in it at the same time.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Could they be making better decisions? Absolutely. It amazes me that they’re usually only replacing rides when the parks desperately need more things to do to enhance capacity (from what I’ve heard, you can thank WDI for not coming up with new attractions that have a higher through-put.) But let’s not ignore the investments they have and are actually making. They’re spending a lot to enhance WDW.

I’m not willing to simply settle, however. MK deserves a new nighttime parade that celebrates the park’s past while looking towards the future. It’s opening-day attractions should be celebrated for turning 50, too, and get the parks as a whole should get the TLC they deserve, to look shiny and bright for what should be WDW’s BIGGEST party. And that party should just continue to roll into EPCOT’s 40th right after.

A Noble Fish

Spacing out new rides in anticipation of the 50th is not an issue. We all know that it wasn't done specifically for the 50th, but to improve the park's quality and branding which also handles capacity.

Really only new rides in 2021 & 2022 are specifically made for the 50th celebration, but the resort as a whole is improving in preparation of it. DCA's transformation wasn't for the 60th, but it improved it for the 50th. That's what is happening here in Orlando too, and it's completely fair for them to say, include many of their new rides and experiences in their marketing. The 2020 rides and further back could be included too for the event, but that's again more in preparation for it rather than specifically for the event.

What's key is that there is a refresh in show-quality and ride updates at the MK (and to a lesser extent the resort as a whole) like Disneyland's 60th and other anniversaries. 50th specific decor, entertainment, food, and permanent enhancements like a Hatbox Ghost or new PeopleMover scenes that is specifically for the celebration is what makes or breaks this special time for the park and resort. TRON is definitely part of 50th-anniversary specific enhancements, and so is Guardians, but the others are in preparation of it.

Again, still can be lumped together, but I think we all know what a good anniversary includes. Man would I kill for a Tokyo Dreamlights take on the magnificently underrated SpectroMagic

SweetDuffy101

Could WDW do a nightime projection parade where the scenes and music were projected and all WDW has to do is drag a bunch of screens along the "parade" route? Sure, WDW would have to buy a bunch more projectors but that would be cheaper than paying CMs to walk the route or paying engineers to build and maybe even maintain floats. Also, conceivably, the "parade" could be more rapidly changed since a timed projection routine could be more easily adapted. As long as it doesn't have that infernal noise of baroque hoedown.
Actually Universal Studios Japan Night parade does this style and its amazing in person trust me it adds magic to the show.

Brer Panther

Again, however, just because they don't want to open a million different attractions on the same day for the 50th doesn't mean that they should do nothing for the 50th at all. And from the sound of it, that's what they're gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom