Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

JayKZ

Gave what a temporary spot? This discussion is based on the Moana water area. The user was upset that Moana was replacing Club Cool and Starbucks and I corrected them. If you wanna be upset about the Festival Center replacing it I don’t care but that isn’t what this topic is about.
Reread the thread. @Sirwalterraleigh was right... I was joking. The immediate discussion was about the almost empty Innoventions West.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And delusional mike liked this...

This is the mental equivalent of “fishing with dynamite”

I'll use the line you've been overusing...

It's just a joke!!

I’m not making fun of you...I am gonna make fun of Mister Penguin with the “like”
And delusional mike liked this...

You keeping track now of who likes and doesn't like the posts you disagree with? You keeping an enemies list now?

I know, I know.... It's just a joke!!

Disneyson

Very surprised this is going here. Not necessarily the “Journey Of Water”, but the Mona overlay. The park that really needs another Princess is AK, and this is the only character to my mind that fits into the conservation and “I respect the planet” thing that AK has going. Or otherwise Adventureland makes much more sense. An easy way to sop up capacity without a huge bump in tourism (I imagine there are a lot of kids going to the parks that are interested in Moana but would not be making a special trip for her), and the theme is perfect.

I know theme has become a fluid thing in this redesign, but it’s tricky to draw the line between “...and here’s what’s coming next in the field of ____” and “we present you a celebration of human achievement in ______”. It also calls into question if the Land and the Seas are redundant due to AK and lots of other sticky problems, but that’s not my point.

I just feel like they can’t use the story of Moana to full potential in EPCOT... though this is a clever idea, it’s placement flowing into the Seas and the Land is genius, and she will be a good host for this attraction. But this park already has a ton of Princess power, and is not lacking meet-and-greets.

Then again, they never announced a character meeting coming to this attraction.

RobWDW1971

I just feel like they can’t use the story of Moana to full potential in EPCOT... though this is a clever idea, it’s placement flowing into the Seas and the Land is genius, and she will be a good host for this attraction.
AE715EC0-8429-4090-A4D8-7EC607AA05BD.jpeg

Disneyson

Well, let me rephrase.

I think that the thematic gardens will be a major improvement over the Communicore buildings. That’s my very humble opinion, as someone who 1) never saw the original experience, and frankly 2) as a pragmatist who does not see the ability to update the content of those buildings in today's society in which the dream of communication has been essentially fulfilled, and 3) as a person who could not stand the smell of those buildings.

I also think that this is an idea that very much pulls from an older design playbook that looks for thematic and design cohesion. This is an extension of the ideas that the creators of the OG EPCOT had, with the right-brain, right-side of the park featuring more running water and a more lush feel, compared to the more tamed and sculpted feel of the landscape on the left-brain, left-side of the park. It seems like a place making Disney might have made during the creation of MGM, where the distinct difference between being “in the Studio” and “in Hollywood” was accentuated by a giant arch and the whole park looked like Mickey from above.

I feel like Incorporating edutainment into this design element is also distinctly EPCOT, and it fits the area’s theme beautifully and thematically, and the best bit is that you can tell someone who loves detail, easter eggs, and creative design put their stamp on this.

So yes, genius might be a bit of hyperbole, (Walt has done worse and better, for sure), but I stand by the core concept of “The Journey Of Water”.

Tonto

Just demanding less.
Demanding less or demanding different? The misperception is that its less and that does play well into the old school narrative, but for me and a lot of people old school Epcot was not satisfactory. Epcot wasn’t educational! It only created a vail of education. These are 2 different things. Not saying the new Epcot will be great but I’m willing to give it the wait and see approach. Too often people poo poo projects without giving it a chance. Remember Pandora. I think that thread had 500 pages of ”this is going to suck”. Turned out quite amazing. Perfect no, but the Disney quality is quite evident. At least that’s my 2 cents.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The park that really needs another Princess is AK, and this is the only character to my mind that fits into the conservation and “I respect the planet” thing that AK has going.

We can overlay Kali by having all the princesses show up commanding an army of their animal sidekicks that attack the loggers and deforesters and destroys their equipment!!

techgeek

I think one thing that bothers me most about this concept is the location. Being directly off the central core walkways and one of the first things guests encounter after SSE, is there any chance of this having enough capacity / space to not be mobbed most of the day?

Josh Hendy

But I would genuinely accept a Jungle Book addition. Addition.
You gave me an awesome idea. On the Universal forum is a rumor that the footprints of Popeye Barges and Dudley Doright will be combined into a huge, next-gen Lord of the Rings (or Hobbit) raft ride. The secret sauce will be technology that allows rafts to change from "drifting mode" into "orientated mode" permitting story elements to be presented.

Disney should rebuild Kali on a bigger footprint and then they could tell a whale of a story.

Popeye already makes Kali look embarrassingly short (high quality of Kali theming notwithstanding) so let's get going on a really great Addition ...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think one thing that bothers me most about this concept is the location. Being directly off the central core walkways and one of the first things guests encounter after SSE, is there any chance of this having enough capacity / space to not be mobbed most of the day?

It's a walk through with minimal interactivity (hands!). In front of them will be Walt's statue, that interactive tree thing, and a towering Festival Center. So, there are thing pulling people forward, especially if they know that their destination isn't The Seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom