Trip Report A Friend Like Her *COMPLETED*

“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
~
Forrest Gump

Ah, February. The month of heart-shaped boxes of chocolate. The month of romance and love. The month of someone’s Valentine birthday.

The month of the crappiest weather in 95 percent of the country. Including Florida.

The month in which another mother/daughter jaunt to WDW brought unexpected surprises.....some great, some not-so-great....much like biting into a piece of boxed chocolate.

Much like life itself.

I’d LOVE to have you follow along on our long-weekend adventure.

Who: Tuvalu and Em (with special appearances by a dear friend)
When: January 31 - February 4, 2020
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

50EC2F59-4772-40F9-B654-A53DD93293C9.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
YAY!!! Here Here Here and so excited for another trip report!!
Oh you are spoiling us with starting so quick a new report!
I’m in!
I’m in at the beginning of this one.
Another chance to live vicariously through a Tuvalu & Em adventure???? Count me in :joyfull:
Kinda late to this one, but I'm in! Can't wait to hear about this trip! Love the castle leggings!
Always look forward to your trip reports!!!!😄
So nice to see y’all here. (Again!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm sitting here in Pittsburgh on a cold winters night really looking forward to seeing some Florida sunshine pics!
There aren’t as many as I hoped for 😕.....
I just finished your last report! Hopefully you saw the sun more on your trip than I did in the entire month of January ,which was once!
....but it was more than once!

I’m here! And those pants 👌

kelly
Hiya and thanks, Kelly! (This won’t be the last time you see your name.)

I just finished the last one, and here, like some miracle, is another! Looking forward to more Tuvalu adventures!
Death.
Taxes.
Another Tuvalu trip report.
🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, January 31

This trip was birthed last summer on a hot, sunny day as Em and I lounged in the cool water of the WL pool.

“Can we plan a long-weekend in February to help with the winter blues?” requested Em.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

Once she found out which days she could take off from teaching school, I went to work searching deals for resort and airfare. (Yes, airfare. It’s too long a drive for a short trip. Plus I’m a glutton for punishment.) I booked only one ADR ~ we didn’t want to be over-scheduled. Made our FPs at 60 days out.

Which brings us to today. Technically our vacay began in January, but since it was only a travel day I don’t count it. 🤣

Em worked a full day and drove to our house. We were utilizing Uber Woody to the airport. Getting to the Atlanta airport at 5 pm on a Friday wasn’t bad since we were traveling opposite traffic, but our poor Uber driver paid the price on the journey home.

Security was a breeze and then we went to find some dinner. Earlier in the week I had read comments from @StarWarsGirl praising the food from Qdoba. I had never heard of it, but darn if there isn’t one in Concourse A! Since both Em and I love Mexican, we decided to give it a go.

And the guacamole is FREE!! 🥑 :hungry: 💰

5CFD5513-4C6E-4B57-A067-94372FC433ED.jpeg

YUM! YUM! YUM! Wishing we had a Qdoba closer to home. Delicious hearty portions!

As we were finishing up, a senior couple sat down next to us. The gentleman looked at us and said, “Have you seen the movie 1917?”

It seemed an out-of-the blue conversation starter in an airport food court, but my dad often begins conversations in a similar manner so I just went with it. No, we hadn’t seen the movie, but the pleasant discussion that followed ended up boosting Em’s spirits after a difficult week.

She was all smiles as we waited to board our flight.

A3D734BE-EA67-4093-8D26-20C2853D40BD.jpeg

We were flying Delta so no need to secure boarding group numbers 24 hours in advance. I’d selected our near-the-front window and middle seats when I purchased the tickets. However since Delta charges a baggage fee, we decided to pack carry-ons.

The gate agent informed us that the flight was full and there would not be enough bin space for all carry-ons. Anyone willing to gate check their bag (complimentary) could board the aircraft earlier than their preassigned zone. Em and I took him up on the offer.

Then I sat down in my window-less “window seat.”

2F207BCC-4A1C-4226-90EA-A4285A3251AF.jpeg

WTH??!!

I sent the picture to Woody, who explained there’d been a seat reconfiguration on the plane (likely to add additional rows.) While the no-window was frustrating, the ample space I had for my legs made up for it.

FA9481ED-506B-4DA5-ADC1-E4E24C36C49F.jpeg

Look, Ma! My knees aren’t touching the seat in front of me!

I had a similar experience on the flight home. I’d selected the SAME seat for both flights! :facepalm:

StarWarsGirl

Friday, January 31

This trip was birthed last summer on a hot, sunny day as Em and I lounged in the cool water of the WL pool.

“Can we plan a long-weekend in February to help with the winter blues?” requested Em.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

Once she found out which days she could take off from teaching school, I went to work searching deals for resort and airfare. (Yes, airfare. It’s too long a drive for a short trip. Plus I’m a glutton for punishment.) I booked only one ADR ~ we didn’t want to be over-scheduled. Made our FPs at 60 days out.

Which brings us to today. Technically our vacay began in January, but since it was only a travel day I don’t count it. 🤣

Em worked a full day and drove to our house. We were utilizing Uber Woody to the airport. Getting to the Atlanta airport at 5 pm on a Friday wasn’t bad since we were traveling opposite traffic, but our poor Uber driver paid the price on the journey home.

Security was a breeze and then we went to find some dinner. Earlier in the week I had read comments from @StarWarsGirl praising the food from Qdoba. I had never heard of it, but darn if there isn’t one in Concourse A! Since both Em and I love Mexican, we decided to give it a go.

And the guacamole is FREE!! 🥑 :hungry: 💰

View attachment 451335
YUM! YUM! YUM! Wishing we had a Qdoba closer to home. Delicious hearty portions!

As we were finishing up, a senior couple sat down next to us. The gentleman looked at us and said, “Have you seen the movie 1917?”

It seemed an out-of-the blue conversation starter in an airport food court, but my dad often begins conversations in a similar manner so I just went with it. No, we hadn’t seen the movie, but the pleasant discussion that followed ended up boosting Em’s spirits after a difficult week.

She was all smiles as we waited to board our flight.

View attachment 451336

We were flying Delta so no need to secure boarding group numbers 24 hours in advance. I’d selected our near-the-front window and middle seats when I purchased the tickets. However since Delta charges a baggage fee, we decided to pack carry-ons.

The gate agent informed us that the flight was full and there would not be enough bin space for all carry-ons. Anyone willing to gate check their bag (complimentary) could board the aircraft earlier than their preassigned zone. Em and I took him up on the offer.

Then I sat down in my window-less “window seat.”

View attachment 451337
WTH??!!

I sent the picture to Woody, who explained there’d been a seat reconfiguration on the plane (likely to add additional rows.) While the no-window was frustrating, the ample space I had for my legs made up for it.

View attachment 451338
Look, Ma! My knees aren’t touching the seat in front of me!

I had a similar experience on the flight home. I’d selected the SAME seat for both flights! :facepalm:
Glad to be of service in recommending Qdoba. There's one near where I work; I'm there about once a month at least.

Sorry about the window-less seat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom