Would Eliminating Rides / Attractions Help With Overcrowding?

InnKpr

Original Poster
There have been suggestions tossed around lately to potentially add relief to the growing conundrum of overcrowding in the parks. Two recent discussions have proposed eliminating standby lines as a solution, and refusing admission to a portion of daily park visitors as ways to better benefit those of us who deserve a quality vacation.

Reading these proposals and discussions led me to take it a step further, and go after the true underlying source of the problems at hand. Please hear me out before judging what I have to say. It may sound crazy on the surface, but once you really stop and think how this could work, you'll realize it goes far deeper than that.

Let's look at the problem at it's core: Overcrowding at the parks, making the experience more stressful and less enjoyable for many. Yet we spend so much time attacking the problem as simply overcrowding, but never examining why it occurs to begin with.

After talking to many park guests while on property, or via the internet, or postcard mailers sent at random... I have come to the conclusion that it's the rides, attractions, and entertainment offerings which are the source of the overcrowding problems we're currently facing. Those are what keep drawing more and more people through the gates each day, creating new visitors, repeat visitors, you name it.

It is for this very reason I propose the elimination of all rides, shows, shopping, dining, and any form of entertainment from park grounds (restrooms can stay, 'cause, come on, the alternative would just be unpleasant). Please hear me out before judging this idea. It sounds ridiculous, but I assure you.
If you look at actual data, you can clearly see the correlation between park offerings (rides, attractions, etc.) and guest visits. A study back in 2017 showed that if there was nothing to do while at WDW, many domestic & international travelers alike would either scale back their number of annual visits, or change their vacation plans altogether.
22120a.png

It's lazy to just look at overcrowding as the problem when it is a mere puppet being controlled by a more powerful source. All we're doing by batting around nonsensical ideas such as banning guests for capacity's sake, or chopping the standby line option, is putting a tiny bandage on a much larger wound. The problem is only going to get worse if we keep looking at overcrowding for overcrowding's sake. As Walt himself once said: "You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world, but that only attracts too many people, so it's better to aim low."

Ask yourself this question: Why do YOU go to Disney? What brings you back time & time again? Whatever answer popped into your head is probably the same exact reason for many. If that reason were to be removed from the equation, would you continue to come back? Probably not, and the same for others. If you want to thin the herds, don't give them reason to come into the pasture.

Thoughts?

Pepper's Ghost

Look at the graph. He's not trolling, simply poking fun at people.

LOL. Okay, my bad. Thanks for setting me straight and giving back my sanity, relatively speaking anyway. Obviously I didn't give the graph a chance because the rest was so dumb. I do think it qualifies as trolling, sorta... trolling the trolls I suppose. I'm just tired of the threads about who should be discriminated against, standby lines should go away, etc. This one just put me over the edge.

Well done, InnKpr! Got me. :hilarious:

Mickey5150

Rather then eliminating attractions, move their queue. Have the queue for Space Mountain start in EPCOT. From there you take a special monorail directly to the mountain. This way anyone that wants to ride Space Mountain needs to be in EPCOT, not the MK. They could also do this with the People Movers, extending the track by starting the ride in Epcot. With the extended track and now 40 minute ride, 1000s of guests would be taken off the ground and put above EPCOT and the MK thus eliminating foot traffic.

epcotisbest

LOL. Okay, my bad. Thanks for setting me straight and giving back my sanity, relatively speaking anyway. Obviously I didn't give the graph a chance because the rest was so dumb. I do think it qualifies as trolling, sorta... trolling the trolls I suppose. I'm just tired of the threads about who should be discriminated against, standby lines should go away, etc. This one just put me over the edge.

Well done, InnKpr! Got me. :hilarious:

Yeah, it is clever satire. The sign suggestion, however...

Tony the Tigger

Even simpler and without all the demolition: run the parks without electricity.

Simply install oars on the boat rides. Imagine the new serenity of “It’s A Small World” unplugged!

Enjoy an extra animal with the horse-drawn Kilamanjaro Safari!

Extra meet & greets!

Evening Twix & Twizzler dessert parties!

New management staff: all Amish!

Enjoy room-temperature canned tuna, chicken, and vegan mystery protein sandwiches at QS. (A buffet of them at Crystal Palace, with beans, room-temperature soups, and olives.) Variations to include room-temperature mushy peas at Rose & Crown, and plenty of BBQ sauce at the Regal Eagle Can House.

Side benefit: it will be the most Hurricane Prepared Place On Earth!

Goofyernmost

There have been suggestions tossed around lately to potentially add relief to the growing conundrum of overcrowding in the parks. Two recent discussions have proposed eliminating standby lines as a solution, and refusing admission to a portion of daily park visitors as ways to better benefit those of us who deserve a quality vacation.

Reading these proposals and discussions led me to take it a step further, and go after the true underlying source of the problems at hand. Please hear me out before judging what I have to say. It may sound crazy on the surface, but once you really stop and think how this could work, you'll realize it goes far deeper than that.

Let's look at the problem at it's core: Overcrowding at the parks, making the experience more stressful and less enjoyable for many. Yet we spend so much time attacking the problem as simply overcrowding, but never examining why it occurs to begin with.

After talking to many park guests while on property, or via the internet, or postcard mailers sent at random... I have come to the conclusion that it's the rides, attractions, and entertainment offerings which are the source of the overcrowding problems we're currently facing. Those are what keep drawing more and more people through the gates each day, creating new visitors, repeat visitors, you name it.

It is for this very reason I propose the elimination of all rides, shows, shopping, dining, and any form of entertainment from park grounds (restrooms can stay, 'cause, come on, the alternative would just be unpleasant). Please hear me out before judging this idea. It sounds ridiculous, but I assure you.
If you look at actual data, you can clearly see the correlation between park offerings (rides, attractions, etc.) and guest visits. A study back in 2017 showed that if there was nothing to do while at WDW, many domestic & international travelers alike would either scale back their number of annual visits, or change their vacation plans altogether.
View attachment 451006
It's lazy to just look at overcrowding as the problem when it is a mere puppet being controlled by a more powerful source. All we're doing by batting around nonsensical ideas such as banning guests for capacity's sake, or chopping the standby line option, is putting a tiny bandage on a much larger wound. The problem is only going to get worse if we keep looking at overcrowding for overcrowding's sake. As Walt himself once said: "You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world, but that only attracts too many people, so it's better to aim low."

Ask yourself this question: Why do YOU go to Disney? What brings you back time & time again? Whatever answer popped into your head is probably the same exact reason for many. If that reason were to be removed from the equation, would you continue to come back? Probably not, and the same for others. If you want to thin the herds, don't give them reason to come into the pasture.

Thoughts?
Absolute, unadulterated genius. The other more convincing to Disney Management is that the only CM's necessary will be about two people collecting money (cash only) at the front gate. Talk about cutting back on expenses. Wow!

Simply install oars on the boat rides. Imagine the new serenity of “It’s A Small World” unplugged!

Extra meet & greets!

Enjoy room-temperature canned tuna, chicken, and vegan mystery protein sandwiches at QS. (A buffet of them at Crystal Palace, with beans, room-temperature soups, and olives.) Variations to include room-temperature mushy peas at Rose & Crown, and plenty of BBQ sauce at the Regal Eagle Can House.

Between these two I feel confident that the overcrowding problem will be nothing more then history in just a couple days. I feel like I'm sitting in, as an observer, in a highly sophisticated think tank.

epcotisbest

Extra meet & greets!

It's a small world unplugged is destined to be a classic. Especially fun, humming the song yourself.

Club Cooloholic

N.O.

Trying to eliminate the constant struggle for everyone to succeed in obtaining social media fame would likely help though.
Its like just enjoy your trip and stop trying to make money off of it by showing every instagram wall and Dole Whip.
One vlogger can show us what the new xyz looks like. We don't need 25 of them.
We should just do what old LD would do.
Warning, NSFW language....but hilarious

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom