Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

Minthorne

Opinion only.

Actually there are some facts to back up @LittleBuford 's assertion the meat waste is worse than plant waste.

"One-third of the world’s food is lost or wasted. But the biggest loss, not included in this estimate, may be through our dietary choices. Consuming meat entails significantly more food loss than consuming plants directly. Favoring plant-based diets in America would produce enough food to feed 350 million additional people – more than would be fed if all conventional food supply chain losses were eliminated. "
- Yale Review

I post this as an omnivore who likes meat.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Actually there are some facts to back up @LittleBuford 's assertion the meat waste is worse than plant waste.

"One-third of the world’s food is lost or wasted. But the biggest loss, not included in this estimate, may be through our dietary choices. Consuming meat entails significantly more food loss than consuming plants directly. Favoring plant-based diets in America would produce enough food to feed 350 million additional people – more than would be fed if all conventional food supply chain losses were eliminated. "
- Yale Review

I post this as an omnivore who likes meat.

If you swapped over to an insect based diet you could feed even more. So whats your end-state ? All of the natural resources in the US dedicated to support Human biomass? Say hello to Soylent green again.

Minthorne

If you swapped over to an insect based diet you could feed even more. So whats your end-state ? All of the natural resources in the US dedicated to support Human biomass? Say hello to Soylent green again.

Congratulations - you are skilled at avoiding a real discussion by using Reductio ad absurdum arguments. As a result, trying to discuss this with you is a pointless exercise. Enjoy eating people - you seem obsessed with it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Congratulations - you are skilled at avoiding a real discussion by using Reductio ad absurdum arguments. As a result, trying to discuss this with you is a pointless exercise. Enjoy eating people - you seem obsessed with it.

No more absurd and unrealistic than your assertation that you will change people and industries to fit another viewpoint.

Tony the Tigger

Why take it to an extreme?

If we (individually) can make informed choices between degrees in which one choice causes less damage than the other, why not?

I'm not a recycling crusader, either, but if the two bins are right next to each other, it's no more effort to throw my beer bottle into the recycling one. That doesn't mean I want or am obligated to recycle every material all day long.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not a recycling crusader, either, but if the two bins are right next to each other, it's no more effort to throw my beer bottle into the recycling one. That doesn't mean I want or am obligated to recycle every material all day long.

Recycling everything is not cost-effective or energy saving. You might feel better, but most of its going to the same place as recycling has become cost-ineffective as China has halted the importation most materials for recycling. Aluminum cans are about the only bright spot with a spot market cost of ~ 1.5K a ton.

macefamily

We watched the movie The Florida Project which portrays low income living in the Kissimmee area. There's many real situations that come up in the movie including a bread truck that stops off at some of the low income housing areas to distribute free bread. My daughter did the Disney College Program and brought up the same point about all of the leftover food at Disney parks and resorts. She asked a manager why Disney doesn't distribute food the way some businesses do in FL. The answer was that it was a "legal" issue. If someone became ill or died because of the food, Disney could be held liable. Therefore, they throw away tons of perfectly good food every single day. If you get a chance, watch the movie. I don't think people at Corporate in Disney appreciated it too much.

Kingtut

We watched the movie The Florida Project which portrays low income living in the Kissimmee area. There's many real situations that come up in the movie including a bread truck that stops off at some of the low income housing areas to distribute free bread. My daughter did the Disney College Program and brought up the same point about all of the leftover food at Disney parks and resorts. She asked a manager why Disney doesn't distribute food the way some businesses do in FL. The answer was that it was a "legal" issue. If someone became ill or died because of the food, Disney could be held liable. Therefore, they throw away tons of perfectly good food every single day. If you get a chance, watch the movie. I don't think people at Corporate in Disney appreciated it too much.
Would this be a good time to bring up the "Disney is a business and they are making the most profit for their shareholders as possible" line? They must have studied the costs of having more food on the table vs having more servers on the floor - and the numbers come down on the more food side.

If you are really concerned about wasted food think about how much is lost in transport getting you those grapes in winter from South America and fresh Chilean sea bass. Since we don't grow our own food on our little 1/4 acre plots of ground anymore we have industrialized our food production to a scale that most of us can't imagine. The process losses dwarf the amounts lost the end points - it's just the cost of doing business. I don't remember the name of the new apple species where half of all the apples are damaged before they get to the stores because of how fragile they are - but we grow them because that is what people want to buy.

jaklgreen

I have worked in food for 30 years. The shelters and the places that you are saying to give food to, have all kinds of rules for the health safety of those going to consume the food. Most places will not just come and take leftover food that have been cooked. They want them packaged a certain way(which adds cost to the restaurant), they also want some kind of consistent offering so it does not waste their time. So let say one day the restaurant has 2 pound of mashed potatoes and a tray of meatloaf left. Then the next day they have a 1/2 pound of green beans left only. The shelters do not want to waste their man power going and just getting the green beans. In our city, the shelters that feed the homeless won't take leftover food from the restaurants. They all want big quantities of unopened food products donated by big companies. We have customers come in and tell us that we should give our leftovers to the shelters and we have to explain to them that they will not take them. Even with a huge company like WDW. How do they go about donating uneaten, cooked food. They would have to store it safely some place, make sure that it does not get old, and then the shelter would have go through and process all of the different foods and reheat them safely. It is much easier for them to just get groceries and cook from scratch then worry about food poisoning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom