Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

LittleBuford

Original Poster
One of the worst tools in the debating playbook is the "I'd like to think we all" or "Surely all of us can" arguments. It is attempting to set up the other person as being unreasonable if they take a contrary position. But people can disagree legitimately without their position being unreasonable.

"I'd like to think" was meant quite literally as an expression of hope. I really would expect everyone, including the most ardent of carnivores, to recognise the special responsibility we have not to waste the flesh of animals, and it surprises and disappoints me that this doesn't appear to be the case.

"Surely all of us can" was said of something that any and every sensible person should be able to agree with. To argue that less waste isn't a good thing is to be unreasonable (I'm not saying you or anyone else here is doing that).

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Original Poster
That's why one should never engage in dialog with a virtue signaling vegan. Plants are alive as are creatures. You want to reduce human impact on the the environment ? Eat people. People live in cities, build theme parks, travel by means other than on foot, and over 90% of us consume (the horror!) Meat.

Where did I say I was a vegan? I do eat meat, though very little of it.

Plants are not creatures. It's facetious to pretend that you can't recognise the difference between a salad leaf and a sentient animal.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
This thread has gone the way of so many others in this forum. All I suggested is that the quantity of food served at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue be reduced to a more manageable amount, with those who want more able to request it. My suggestion was based on what I believed to be an entirely uncontroversial premise: that none of us likes to see food go unnecessarily to waste (hardly a trendy or PC view). How this should devolve into someone branding me a "virtue signaling vegan" and telling me to be a cannibal (!) is absolutely beyond me, yet somehow not at all surprising.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This thread has gone the way of so many others in this forum. All I suggested is that the quantity of food served at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue be reduced to a more manageable amount, with those who want more able to request it. My suggestion was based on what I believed to be an entirely uncontroversial premise: that none of us likes to see food go unnecessarily to waste (hardly a trendy or PC view). How this should devolve into someone branding me a "virtue signaling vegan" and telling me to be a cannibal (!) is absolutely beyond me, yet somehow not at all surprising.

Yes, its gone that way as many have... you want everything to conform to your standards, ethics, and philosophy and are outraged when your straw man is set afire. You are an individual. You have your values, others have theirs which may or may not be shared with anyone else.

Your question "Does anyone know if all the uneaten food is at least repurposed in any way? I'd like to think it's turned into animal feed, but that's probably highly wishful on my part. " was answered. (in brief: unserved excess food is donated, "scraps" are bio digested into methane)

Jon81uk

This reminds me of a time we ate at Garden Grill. Great meal but we asked for a couple more slices of turkey and they brought us another entire platter. Character dining, guilt trip included 😂

I had a similar thing at 'Ohana, our first platter only came with about 4 potstickers/dumplings so I asked for a couple more and out came a bowl full of at least 12 dumplings! Way too many for two people.

Tony the Tigger

Disclaimer: I have never eaten at Hoop Dee Do Revue, and I am unlikely to ever do so.

Portion sizes in general are somewhat subjective as to what is too much or just enough, and yes some of us overdo it.

It is good to know there are plans to use at least a large amount of the waste.

I have no problem with the whole concept. If it might make some people feel better to order "half portions" or to share one portion, despite what they paid for, that might be a reasonable compromise, to the extent it's possible. (It might not make logistical sense, and it might lead to people asking for discounts.)

But to address this point:

Food waste is food waste. It's only quibbling for what items are involved.

Two things came to mind. First: I presume raising animals has a bigger environmental impact than raising corn. Second: I think this is pretty simple: If you are killing a chicken to eat it, that is no more a shame than if a fox killed the chicken to eat it. But if you chop it's head off and throw it into the trash, that is wasteful, and IMO cruel as well as a shame. So if you kill a chicken, cook it, put it on a plate, and then throw it into the trash, it's just as wasteful, and a shame to kill the chicken for nothing. It seems like that must happen quite a bit given how much people are saying goes to waste.

If that can be mitigated a smidge, that's not a bad thing. But it's not a big cause of mine, personally.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Yes, its gone that way as many have... you want everything to conform to your standards, ethics, and philosophy and are outraged when your straw man is set afire. You are an individual. You have your values, others have theirs which may or may not be shared with anyone else.

Your question "Does anyone know if all the uneaten food is at least repurposed in any way? I'd like to think it's turned into animal feed, but that's probably highly wishful on my part. " was answered. (in brief: unserved excess food is donated, "scraps" are bio digested into methane)

I’ve not expressed any outrage, merely surprise that anyone would disagree with the idea that unnecessary waste is bad. To read some of the responses here, you’d think I’d suggested taking all the food away and serving sticks of celery. I’m not the one dealing in straw-man arguments.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Two things came to mind. First: I presume raising animals has a bigger environmental impact than raising corn. Second: I think this is pretty simple: If you are killing a chicken to eat it, that is no more a shame than if a fox killed the chicken to eat it. But if you chop it's head off and throw it into the trash, that is wasteful, and IMO cruel as well as a shame. So if you kill a chicken, cook it, put it on a plate, and then throw it into the trash, it's just as wasteful, and a shame to kill the chicken for nothing. It seems like that must happen quite a bit given how much people are saying goes to waste.

If that can be mitigated a smidge, that's not a bad thing. But it's not a big cause of mine, personally.

Thank you! Perhaps the way you’ve expressed it will go down better than my version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom