Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

jaklgreen

It is part of the topic.... They serve a ton of food because we have a hell of a lot of heavy people....

I can see where you are going with this. Are they serving bigger portions because people are bigger and eat more, or are people eating more and getting over weight because the portion sizes have increased? I think the lifestyle of this Country is not a healthy one anymore. People have long commutes and work too much. It is easier to grab some fast food on your way home then to make something from scratch and eat at a very late hour. When woman stayed home, they were able to have dinner ready. Now with most people needing a 2 income household, there is not much time to cook and eat properly. Of course, the amount of food that you eat plays a big part too.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
It is part of the topic.... They serve a ton of food because we have a hell of a lot of heavy people....

The thread may well end up being locked or deleted if we continue down this path. Most of the people I saw at the show were of average build anyway.

Minthorne

I'm here for the shame shaming :) Shame, shame , shame - a shame of fools.

Just kidding.

But seriously I think the power plant using food waste is brilliant.

1582231650017.png

AugieMorosco

I felt the same at Ohana. My wife and I are vegetarian, and the food made for us was amazing, but there was so much. Between us, we didn't even get through 1/2 of one of the plates. Before it came out we tried to explain to the server that we wouldn't need large portions, but I guess since we were using dining plan credits they decided to serve both full servings. He assured us that they had plenty of useful ways to dispose of food and that it wouldn't just be thrown away and wasted. I'm not convinced, but I hope there's some truth in that.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I felt the same at Ohana. My wife and I are vegetarian, and the food made for us was amazing, but there was so much. Between us, we didn't even get through 1/2 of one of the plates. Before it came out we tried to explain to the server that we wouldn't need large portions, but I guess since we were using dining plan credits they decided to serve both full servings. He assured us that they had plenty of useful ways to dispose of food and that it wouldn't just be thrown away and wasted. I'm not convinced, but I hope there's some truth in that.

FTFY . Food is food.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Please leave my Hoop Dee Doo alone... my beautiful delicious Hoop Dee Do

Would it ruin your experience to be served smaller portions with the knowledge that you could always ask for more? Do you actually get through all the food that's currently served to you?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm curious to know on what basis you disagree, though. I think it's clear to anyone reading this thread why I would consider the wasting of meat to be particularly unfortunate, but your reasoning is opaque to me.

Food waste is food waste. It's only quibbling for what items are involved. If you are so concerned, you can get the same food items at Trails End buffet where you can take individual items, not by the bucket . (Which is the advertised serving size)

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Food waste is food waste. It's only quibbling for what items are involved. If you are so concerned, you can get the same food items at Trails End buffet where you can take individual items, not by the bucket . (Which is the advertised serving size)

I'd like to think we all understand the distinctive value of food obtained from a living creature and why it's particularly sad (ethically and environmentally) when such food goes to waste.

As to your suggestion, I didn't do Hoop-Dee-Doo primarily for the food, but for the show, so a buffet wouldn't provide me with a suitable alternative to the experience. If I were to go back, I would simply ask for the veggie option and brace myself for the fact that most of it won't get eaten.

Disneyhead'71

I experienced the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue for the first time yesterday and enjoyed both the show and the food, which was much tastier than I thought it would be. What I didn't enjoy, however, was the amount of uneaten food at the end of it all. My friends and I went with empty stomachs knowing that it was all-you-can-eat, yet we barely managed a fraction of what was put on our table. Though I'm sure the odd party is able to get through it all, those around me were pretty much in the same boat as us. All that food definitely makes for an impressive visual feast, which I suppose is why they do it, but talk about wasteful! Even half the quantity would be sufficient, and those who want more could ask for it. Does anyone know if all the uneaten food is at least repurposed in any way? I'd like to think it's turned into animal feed, but that's probably highly wishful on my part.
At WDW, if it was on your table, food waste gets turned into electricity at a place called Harvest Power. If it was prepared but not served it goes to the homeless mission, if it wasn't prepared but expired it goes to the food bank.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Original Poster
At WDW, if it was on your table, food waste gets turned into electricity at a place called Harvest Power. If it was prepared but not served it goes to the homeless mission, if it wasn't prepared but expired it goes to the food bank.

Other posters have already commented on these schemes. I'm glad they exist, but I they don't fully address the problem. Surely all of us can agree that less waste would be no bad thing (provided guests aren't shortchanged).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'd like to think we all understand the distinctive value of food obtained from a living creature and why it's particularly sad (ethically and environmentally) when such food goes to waste.

As to your suggestion, I didn't do Hoop-Dee-Doo primarily for the food, but for the show, so a buffet wouldn't provide me with a suitable alternative to the experience. If I were to go back, I would simply ask for the veggie option and brace myself for the fact that most of it won't get eaten.

That's why one should never engage in dialog with a virtue signaling vegan. Plants are alive as are creatures. You want to reduce human impact on the the environment ? Eat people. People live in cities, build theme parks, travel by means other than on foot, and over 90% of us consume (the horror!) Meat.

Tom P.

Other posters have already commented on these schemes. I'm glad they exist, but I they don't fully address the problem. Surely all of us can agree that less waste would be no bad thing (provided guests aren't shortchanged).
One of the worst tools in the debating playbook is the "I'd like to think we all" or "Surely all of us can" arguments. It is attempting to set up the other person as being unreasonable if they take a contrary position. But people can disagree legitimately without their position being unreasonable.

To answer your specific questions, no, I do not agree that there is any ethical difference in whether food that goes to waste is from an animal or a plant. I would agree that a ton of food waste that is going into the landfill would be problematic from an ethical standpoint, but given the way that Disney makes sure that every bit of unused food is used for a productive purpose, I have no ethical problems with the food waste at Disney either.

Now, in full disclosure, I have never eaten at Hoop Dee Doo. I do not know what the portions are like, nor can I comment on if my family and I would be able to finish them. I can't imagine that at a family style meal, I would have an issue with them bringing smaller portions more often instead of one big portion. So if that makes more sense for Disney, fine. But I have no ethical problems with it either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom