Trip Report Trip Report IV: A New Hope ***Completed***

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Trip Report IV: A New Hope

It is a period of domestic unrest. After years of wearing him down BES has won her first victory in getting DH to join her at WDW.

After her last adventure to WDW BES managed to uncover DH’s not so secret plans to see Disney’s ultimate weapon: STAR WARS STUFF.

Pursuant to DH’s hint of interest, BES raced to plan an awesome trip to win her spouse over to the Disney side of THE FORCE and restore freedom to the galaxy...

When: January 31st to February 6th
Where: Port Orleans- Riverside
Who: Just DH and myself (BES)

Here’s the pre-trip report.

I’ll start with something I finished in between trips. I’m not kidding when I say we are a pro-SW household:

732763AA-6770-469D-B1D4-08C039203631.jpeg

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1: January 31st continued

We went right to our room. I had originally booked a standard 5th sleeper when that was all that was available.

When I saw a standard pool view for slightly more I changed to that in hopes of getting a better location aka Magnolia Bend.

Instead we got.... a royal poolview room in Oak Manor. And a corner one to boot. I was happy with the location. We were about equidistant from the east and south bus depots.

I was a little curious (nervous) to see what DH would think about our upgraded decor. I booked a mod because I thought DH would better enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere and less overt Disney theming.

As he checked out the room DH gave a shocked “Ahh!!” 😱😱when he saw this:

E980114E-6AEE-4721-82C8-C7A9F21E076C.jpeg

😂😂😂

Next we went to the lobby building to grab a snack, decline mousekeeping and to stretch our legs.

We both got apple blossoms a là mode and ate them outside and then walked the grounds.

I had previously been upgraded to a Royal Room when I took my little brother on a trip. Then the CM at check in had made a big deal about it and presented us with a scroll from Princess Tiana. Luckily for DH nothing happened this time.

Soon we returned to the room and decided to turn in. Tomorrow we had to be up early. 😏

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2: February 1st

I had some reservations about going to HS on a Saturday and as our first park but... Star Wars.

That was the day that I was able to get an Oga’s spot and DH was eager to see SW stuff first.

DH had promised me that he didn’t mind getting up early on vacation and that he wouldn’t judge Disney by the RotR morning boarding group nonsense.

Still- I had a bad feeling about this...

Alarm went off at 5am. Fortunately for us that’s only slightly earlier than our normal wake up time.

We had coffee and granola bars in the room as we got ready.

There were 2 other people at the bus depot when we arrived. A few more arrived before the bus came. We were on bus to HS by 548am.

DH commented on the song playing on the bus. It was an instrumental version of a legit blues song. I don’t remember the name of it but he said it was about someone dying which we both found amusing.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2: February 1st continued

It was in the mid 60s and lightly raining. We wore pants and light jackets and put on ponchos once off the bus. (It was in the 30s and snowing at home. No complaints from us.)

Off the bus and onto bag check. Here we encountered our first trip problem.

I had a bag. DH did not. Also DH didn’t bring his phone with him. 🤦🏻‍♀️

So I couldn’t send him thru the no bag line and hope to find him after. Too chaotic and crowded.

I wasn’t sure if he would be allowed to wait with me in the bag line and didn’t want to risk getting separated or losing precious time.

Instead I unclipped the tiny clutch/wallet thing inside my purse.

BES: “Here. This is your bag now.”

DH: “Ummm. Ok.” 😬

The bag check and ticket tap lines were all very chaotic. CMs just kept telling people to fill in all available space. DH and I are pretty meek people so unsurprisingly many people magically locating available space in front of us.

Eventually we tapped in. DH was a little bit taken back by the fingerprint thing. (I may have elected not to tell him ahead of time. 😇)

The main drag was crowded. I suggested we wait off to the side until 7am. DH wanted to explore. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

90BC73BC-3C2E-4C6C-A2DC-B5FD8A501603.jpeg

We had 30 minutes to kill before official park opening.

Hollywood Boulevard was crowded but off we went in the rain

7B73CF69-4CCC-4E5B-948A-1ACED71F4B01.gif

Here we encountered another slight problem that DH handled like a champ: keeping together in the crowds.

We both tend to wear a lot of neutral colored clothes and also had ponchos on. DH also had no idea where were going. Even at home DH’s cognitive mapping skills are iffy. So began our week of playing this game:

8B7B88BA-7F26-4775-BA94-06F42B2E69D7.gif

To his credit DH did a great job staying with me during this and all future crowd situations.

As we made our way down Hollywood Boulevard DH commented that he could use some more coffee.

We saw the Starbucks line.

986A0340-E808-43A5-9B77-8718109A937D.gif

We then tried to get in a less crowded area and ended up by MMRR.

Soon enough was the moment of truth. Much like @Darstarr I have an old phone and was nervous to see how it would hold up.

I went #teamscratch. And got BG 33!

It’s not as amazing what other people on here have been getting but I was happy with it.

Now that was 7am the crowds were slowly dispersing to TSL and Batuu. What should we do first? How about a drink... 😉☕🍸

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad you got a good boarding group. Looking forward to your thoughts on Rise.

Thanks and...

E637E2FB-46D3-48AC-A763-E4AEF8096CB0.gif

Following along!!! A little late, but ready to read more!

Welcome. And you’re hardly late. I’m just getting started.

Glad you guys got a good boarding group! I’m so nervous that I am gonna screw it up when we go to Disneyland in a couple of weeks. I’m reading up on all of the strategies

It is stressful but the fact that you know you have to have a strategy should hopefully put you ahead of a lot of people. May the Force be with You on your BG quest.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

We leisurely made our Batuu and walked around. DH was very impressed. Due to the rain and probably the early time there weren’t any characters out but he was impressed all the same.

We explored until it was time for our second breakfast at Oga’s.

I had originally booked an afternoon spot but moved it til the morning. 1) I didn’t know if DH would make it til the afternoon with such an early start. 2) I wanted to try the breakfast stuff.

We were placed standing at the bar. I noticed people drinking the regular drinks and was tempted to get the Dagobah Slug Slinger.

Instead I got the Spiran Caf:

0E15136D-277C-4A56-8D6D-4D0CFF1F310E.jpeg

I ordered DH the Black Spire Brew:

D23602DE-E368-49E1-A1D6-4EA156F60BCF.jpeg

We also split an oatmeal and a cinnamon roll.

DH loved the atmosphere. He liked the food and thought his drink was ok. (That was partially my fault. I didn’t realize the Black Spire Brew was a cold brew. )

As for my drink.... I shoulda had the Slug Slinger. 😕

KBLovedDisney

Day 0: January 30th

I’ve noticed a common thread on these boards lately that a lot of people are having a rough period at work. I’m definitely one of them. This trip couldn’t have come at a better time.

Long story short a lot of major changes happened without any planning or training. We were barely staffed for the old stuff and now it’s worse with the new stuff. It’s crisis mode 24/7 and super stressful.

We’ll start the trip as I ended my last terrible shift.

View attachment 448620

It was doozy. I was out the door ASAP and after relaxing at home for a bit DH and I went out to dinner.

We also went out to get some last minute trip things. Things DH didn’t think we needed but was grateful for later. Such as:
  • Bottles of water
  • Stuff for breakfast in the room
  • Snacks
  • Disposable coffee cups
  • Instant coffee
  • Little creamer cups
Saw this guy in clearance:

View attachment 448621

The pic doesn’t capture how creepy the eyes were. I’m not surprised no one bought it at full price.

Then home for packing and doggo cuddling.

I had all of my clothes packed before bed. This was a Disney first for me. 😂
I'm sorry to add this but that picture of the little guy in clearance just reminds me of this picture:
Happy Cat.jpg

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

Next up- our first ride of the trip. Star Tours! We went to Kef Bir (the Ocean Moon of Endor) and then Exegol.

We then did the standby line for TSM.

B5984AB1-77A5-4294-B013-4347F6AE125B.jpeg

Coffee time. Again. Left unfettered DH and I can drink coffee the way hobbits eat.

Finally our boarding group was called at 9:10 and we were given a 1hr return window.

As we finished our drinks we meandered about the Walk of Fame.

Some of the people were obvious choices:

B442ABC1-2CDD-4F94-BD13-13DB39B4747C.jpeg

Others not so much.

BES: “Ray Liotta?” 🤷🏻‍♀️

DH: “Yeah. Ray Liotta. Kids love him. What kid doesn’t love Goodfellas?” 😂

BES: 😂 “Or Hannibal?”

Henceforth this area became known to us as the Ray Liotta Walk of Fame.

This one made me laugh and no- we didn’t spit there (or anywhere else):

3F631C70-3A24-47CB-AB07-9174F696E849.jpeg

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

Back to Batuu again for the main event of the day...

The CMs out front had awesome Endor-ish camouflage ponchos on. If they had been selling them I would have bought one. Unlike the X-wing flight suits I feel like I could justify wearing one in real life.

We entered the RotR line at 9:40 and exited the rise by 10:35. I didn’t see what time we actually started the ride.

My spoiler free review:

👍🏻👍🏻 We both thought it was a great ride. I tried to know as little as possible going into it which added a fun layer to the experience as well.

I *think* we saw a complete ride. It’s easy to see why they have so many issues with downtime though. I don’t think a partial experience would be as quite as good.

I loved the queue. A lot of neat details. It just felt so Star Wars-y.

48C1CE62-EC4B-4418-A79A-238868E8A84E.jpeg

66C63878-2401-4914-9BAA-D754C0D2FFEF.jpeg

So many wow moments in the ride. Similar to my issue with MFSR I am a little disappointed that you get rushed thru so many of them.

642F7BDA-4529-4B5C-A503-80B1469CBCB4.jpeg

194C9014-AB31-4B55-94C3-6E24CB974D0F.jpeg

This ride our First Order officers were just ok. (Foreshadowing!)

12E2E989-D223-47A1-A957-0C27CA4794F1.jpeg

The only thing I didn’t like were the Finn and Hux animatronics. They just looked super bad to me.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

We did a bit more exploring of Batuu and then decided on an early lunch. I voted for Ronto’s instead of Docking Bay 7.

I got a Ronto Wrap and DH got the Endorian Chicken Wrap. We both enjoyed our choices but I think we both not so secretly wanted to switch.
Tried to get DH to try a blue or green milk. Nope. Not interested. And he didn’t even see the prices. 😂

Next up was something that DH has asked about before the trip. He had wanted to know if there anywhere at WDW that showcased Walt Disney and his contributions to animation.

I presented him with One Man’s Dream. I’m 95% sure this was a Disney First for me. Really neat stuff.

5AF80B7C-7A05-4FCE-BCB5-F3CBAE3BD144.jpeg

Took this for my bro who has a rabbit named.... Bambi. 🤦🏻‍♀️ (He thought Thumper would be too obvious 🤷🏻‍♀️)

5E803D9C-8611-4420-A74F-6B26803ED2FB.jpeg

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

I dragged DH to Launch Bay-just to look. The Hoth spirit jersey caught my eye but I didn’t make my very first spirit jersey purchase- yet.

Our first FP window opened up. (It ended up being the only FP we used this day.) We dropped in at ToT.

DH liked the ride but neither of us enjoyed the teenage girls in our elevator shrieking.

EEF41E6B-ECC5-4559-BFF1-2237BF3D2397.gif

It was about noon and we decided to head back to the resort to rest.

Hopped on a shared POFQ\Riverside bus and came back to a room with most of our lights on.

DH astutely noted we had left all of the lights off. 😱

Much like the fingerprint scan I may have neglected to mention the security checks to DH ahead of time. 😇

It had lightly rained for most of the morning. My shoes and socks were soaked. We were cold and tired. As much as I like being in the parks all day I was looking forward to a nap.

I hadn’t even fallen asleep before someone declared:

57FFD40B-031C-4889-A73F-A802FC5D50BB.gif

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

I dragged DH to Launch Bay-just to look. The Hoth spirit jersey caught my eye but I didn’t make my very first spirit jersey purchase- yet.

Our first FP window opened up. (It ended up being the only FP we used this day.) We dropped in at ToT.

DH liked the ride but neither of us enjoyed the teenage girls in our elevator shrieking.

View attachment 450628

It was about noon and we decided to head back to the resort to rest.

Hopped on a shared POFQ\Riverside bus and came back to a room with most of our lights on.

DH astutely noted we had left all of the lights off. 😱

Much like the fingerprint scan I may have neglected to mention the security checks to DH ahead of time. 😇

It had lightly rained for most of the morning. My shoes and socks were soaked. We were cold and tired. As much as I like being in the parks all day I was looking forward to a nap.

I hadn’t even fallen asleep before someone declared:

View attachment 450629
My travel partners are usually
giphy.gif

And me?...
I ‘m usually just thirsty🍻

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

I had previously described Disney Springs as a place with just a lot of shops and restaurants. I figured DH wouldn’t be interested in it at all but would humor me with a trip to Basin at some point.

Now on only day 2 of the trip DH wanted to go to “that place with the restaurants.”

We went to DS via boat. Eventually DH found what he was looking for- the taco truck. So many restaurants and he picks the taco truck. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I went to the mac and cheese truck stationed next to it. My food took a lot longer to arrive. By the time I got mine DH had finished his tacos- hence no pictures.

62E97126-A649-4CDF-8DE5-40BA24B85CBE.jpeg

I got the pulled pork mac and cheese. It was good but heavy. Luckily DH was glad to help me with it.

BCB56EA1-13F4-4321-8E23-DC2AC68157CD.jpeg

We walked around DS for a bit. DH wanted more coffee and more walking.

So we decided to hop a bus to the Boardwalk and then strolled over to Epcot.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Real life aside:

As I am recounting the “cold” portion of our trip in FL, here in MI we are now warming up and it’s equally as funny as the FL reaction to cold. It was all the way up to 34 this morning and I’ve already seen a lady in shorts and a dude in T-shirt outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom