Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

rowrbazzle

Lucas has been a bit squirrely on his thoughts of the new movies so I really wouldn't look too into that. Especially after his crazy microbiotic world of the whills direction he wanted to go.

Like you said, it ended up a mess. And it was a mess because clearly they had no vision for all 3 movies. My point with Hamill was not to say his word is the gospel. But it was a warning sign that this thing might go off the rails. And that goes back to my original point of they knew this was going to make fans mad, but they did it anyway. They figured the original fans didn't matter.

I completely agree you should hire the right person and let them create. That is why Kennedy shouldn't have let Rian do his own thing. They should have let the story that JJ started play out how he intended. And before anyone says anything, this was not how JJ planned Luke. He came out and said that was his biggest surprise.

I didn't follow the production of the movies closely, but these were a couple things I came across regarding Luke's character before and after TFA. These individuals who were involved indicate that it was consistent and in line with the ideas Lucas had.

Given that Treverrow's script for 9 from 2016 had Luke dead this had to have been established well before TLJ came out. Johnson has also stated that he had many discussions with Abrams before and during production. So I don't know what to make of JJ's statements. He also said TLJ inspired him to make bold choices in 9 and that Johnson casting Kelly Marie Tran was the greatest thing for JJ. Neither seems to be supported by anything in 9. Maybe JJ just says things? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

rowrbazzle

Simply compare Luke’s journey and obstacles in that film to Rey’s “journey” swinging around a lightsaber on a cliff and force-Skyping with her boyfriend.

Oh sure, you really can't compare to Luke. I didn't think Lucas did as well with Anakin either.

Rey was a mixed bag for me. I thought the force-Skyping worked really well to connect Rey and Kylo. It would've been believable if she'd taken Kylo's hand in 8, but once she didn't it seemed to kind of close the door on that possibility. The pull of power from Palpatine or whatever didn't work for me. Her being afraid that she couldn't control her evil urges (force lightning!) mirrored Luke's temptation to embrace his hate, but they abandoned that pretty quickly. I enjoyed Rey and Ridley's performance, but thought Kylo was a more nuanced and interesting character.

LSLS

Treverrow script leaked for IX. Shocker, it’s significantly better than what we got.

I don't know if it sounds better or not. The ending parts they describe sound beyond bad to me. Would it have been better than if 9 became 9 and 10 and flushed things out a bit better? Eh, who knows. I don't know, maybe I'm just past really caring at this point.

Mike S

Treverrow script leaked for IX. Shocker, it’s significantly better than what we got.

Isn’t part of the rumor that the reason he was fired was that he wanted them to change TLJ in some way to account for Carrie’s death? That those were the “creative differences?”

erasure fan1

Isn’t part of the rumor that the reason he was fired was that he wanted them to change TLJ in some way to account for Carrie’s death? That those were the “creative differences?”
Yes, that seemed to be what was being thrown about in the media. Trevorrow wanted Luke to live at the end of 8 because of carries passing. And that Kennedy and crew said no. That's the main things that came up in the rumor mill, but Im sure there was other things as well.

Mike S

Yes, that seemed to be what was being thrown about in the media. Trevorrow wanted Luke to live at the end of 8 because of carries passing. And that Kennedy and crew said no. That's the main things that came up in the rumor mill, but Im sure there was other things as well.
All they needed to do was have him not disappear. Maybe reshoot it so he simply falls over and leave it ambiguous or just leave it at him watching the sunrise/sunset then cut away.

Wendy Pleakley

The Trevorrow script as leaked didn't strike me as exciting. Doesn't offer any interesting story beats that I can see, just a fairly straight forward conclusion. It does make sense to have ghost Luke confront Kylo though, something Luke said he would do in TLJ, but that plot point wasn't picked up by Abrams (another example of a lack of consistency and planning across these films).

I am surprised they didn't consider keeping Luke alive after Carrie Fisher died. It would have been an obvious choice to have him take on whatever had been planned for Leia in Episode 9.

rowrbazzle

Interesting. Given that Disney took such a different path with 9 compared to the original script, I agree it must have been more than that. They could've just had Abrams and the other guy tweak Trevorrow's script while still keeping the basic story and plans. It was more consistent with the other films. Although they fired Trevorrow before TLJ was released so I wonder if they originally planned to do just that. But then once the backlash hit they decided to do a major course correction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If this is true...it is indisputably an agenda and that is a fireable offense.

1. Luke Skywalker is the star of star wars
2. Princess Leia is not as important.
3. Deal with it, “snowflake” 🤪

Go back and check the tape...I was never a supporter of the feminist or “woke” theories...

But now that it’s finally...mercifully over (this 4 years are every bit as painful as the prequels)...it’s hard to not come to the conclusion that they tried to “correct” something from 1980 that was in no way wrong in the first place. The reflection of a PC world gone mad...
And that’s why this era has no gravitas and will be considered more and more of a failure as time goes on.

Disney is complicit as well...believing idealism over the emotion of the originals. They never got it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting. Given that Disney took such a different path with 9 compared to the original script, I agree it must have been more than that. They could've just had Abrams and the other guy tweak Trevorrow's script while still keeping the basic story and plans. It was more consistent with the other films. Although they fired Trevorrow before TLJ was released so I wonder if they originally planned to do just that. But then once the backlash hit they decided to do a major course correction.
I think it’s pretty obvious treverrow looked at 8, disagreed with it, and Kennedy fired him for manboy...

They just pooched the story from the start. Wasting 2 hours for a reboot put it behind the 8 ball from the start.

Though in the fallout I’ve seen some writers outright say Gareth Edwards was FIRED...not “helped” in editing as was originally spun.

That means Kennedy’s record is 3 of 5 Directors fired, steep drop in attendance, a flop and Iger pulling the plug on movies in totality...

Anyone want to make the case that she shouldn’t be fired again? Bill parcels time

Darkprime

Not officially confirmed but expected Digital on March 31 and disc on April 14.

Hmmm. That seems a bit late to me. If they follow the same schedule as The last jedi the digital release should be around March 13th. Maybe a bit earlier this time on the 10th or 11th of March. Frozen 2 released November 28th and just released this past Tuesday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom