Disney & More article on Lighthouse Point

CJR

I'm not sure if a lot of people know this, Eleuthera is the same island that Carnival's Princess Cays is located. Probably just a few miles north of Lighthouse Point. So, if you know anyone who has been to Princess Cays, ask them about it. Disney will no doubt be more grand, but the beaches and the water is all in the same area.

ChuckElias

Here's DCL's official website for the island and project:

https://lighthousepointbahamas.com/

1580840884514.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Another article about this:

I must admit, I have some small reservations about this:

"The property will also be open to Bahamas residents, and not segregated to just cruise line visitors. "

ChuckElias

I must admit, I have some small reservations about this:

"The property will also be open to Bahamas residents, and not segregated to just cruise line visitors. "
That's been out there since the agreement was first announced. (It's part of another thread somewhere in the forum.) I agree it's confusing and I'm not sure how it's actually going to be implemented. Maybe parts will open to the public, since a portion of the land will be donated back to the government for use as state parks, while a portion will be limited to DCL guests.

ChuckElias

Here's the link to the previous thread that I mentioned. There's a lot of discussion about environmental impact, as well as the question of local residents having access to the land:

twall0415

I'm really excited to see how this all comes together. It's interesting to compare the different strategy they are using compared to when they developed Castaway Cay. I'm also interested to see because of how other cruise lines are developing their private islands and trying to change the "beach day only" experience. Like Royal Caribbean's Perfect Day Coco Cay.

CJR

I'm also interested to see because of how other cruise lines are developing their private islands and trying to change the "beach day only" experience. Like Royal Caribbean's Perfect Day Coco Cay.

Me too, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. It seems like Disney is staying away from a lot of the stuff at Coco Cay and keeping the project modest, if only slightly more to do than what's at Castaway Cay. It's hard to tell much from the art though and the ultimate plan could see changes.

Something that I noticed was that there doesn't appear to be a Serenity Bay equivalent, which would be a shame. I would be surprised if Disney did away with an adult exclusive area though.

I've been to Half Moon Cay, which was great, but not as great as Castaway Cay. It had one massive beach instead of sections, the food also wasn't quite as good, although perfectly edible. We'll be at Perfect Day Coco Cay (not doing the overpriced water park) this June, so we'll be able to compare the three main private islands. We'll be at Castaway Cay in a few weeks, so comparisons will be pretty fresh.

Something that these three all have in common though is that they're exclusive stops for their cruise lines. Lighthouse Point will not be and that's going to be an interesting piece to follow. I'm sure Disney has plans to address that though.

twall0415

Me too, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. It seems like Disney is staying away from a lot of the stuff at Coco Cay and keeping the project modest, if only slightly more to do than what's at Castaway Cay. It's hard to tell much from the art though and the ultimate plan could see changes.

Something that I noticed was that there doesn't appear to be a Serenity Bay equivalent, which would be a shame. I would be surprised if Disney did away with an adult exclusive area though.

I've been to Half Moon Cay, which was great, but not as great as Castaway Cay. It had one massive beach instead of sections, the food also wasn't quite as good, although perfectly edible. We'll be at Perfect Day Coco Cay (not doing the overpriced water park) this June, so we'll be able to compare the three main private islands. We'll be at Castaway Cay in a few weeks, so comparisons will be pretty fresh.

Something that these three all have in common though is that they're exclusive stops for their cruise lines. Lighthouse Point will not be and that's going to be an interesting piece to follow. I'm sure Disney has plans to address that though.

I definitely don't think they are going to do anything like Coco Cay, and I know their plans are subject to change but I found a few things interesting when looking at the map.
slide.jpg

They appear to be at least adding a couple water slides. Nothing too crazy by the looks of it. At least that's my guess for what the blue path is. Or maybe a lazy river but that path seems a bit random for that. Also by the proposed art center is another pool type area. Maybe a lazy river, pool, animal experience?

pool.jpg

If I had to guess I would say the adult beach will be the north beach, especially since that is close to the edge of the property. There appears to be a beach entrance around there as well.

These are my thoughts or maybe at least wishful thinking of their plans. Plus anything is possible.

I still think they will wind up having some exclusivity of the port. I just don't envision that they will allow anyone else to use this area other than the publicly donated land.

EOD K9

I *might* be ok with the residents utilizing it on days that our ships aren’t there. Downside, is that it takes more upkeep when it gets used more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom