Unpopular Disney World Opinions

TotallyBiased

* Soarin' should be renamed to "Borin'"

* I sat on the current Imagination and felt it was shockingly terrible and left with the feeling of " did I just watch?" I don't get the allure as I haven't had a chance to ride the original.

* SR is better than RotR.

Chef Mickey

I wouldn't call Festival of the Lion King one of worst shows, but I saw it for the first time ever a few weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed. I think the Indiana Jones Stunt Show is easily better, despite being 30 years old. The original Rivers of Light was also definitely better but probably not the new version (haven't seen it).
To each his own, but I don’t know how anyone could say the Indiana Jones show is better. The special effects and jokes are pretty cheesy and the show is as tired as any on property.

UNCgolf

To each his own, but I don’t know how anyone could say the Indiana Jones show is better. The special effects and jokes are pretty cheesy and the show is as tired as any on property.

Festival of the Lion King wasn't what I was expecting and I didn't think it was great (certainly not bad, though). I haven't seen the Indiana Jones show in a while, but if someone wanted to go see it, I'd happily go with them. I don't think I'll ever watch FotLK again -- although to be fair, I don't find acrobatics very entertaining.

Anyways, the best show on property is Carousel of Progress.

Last edited:

HongKongFooy

Cant argue with that.

I can

After a long stay at AA I came to realize AA is the best because of AA's

American Adventure is a more epic show and it has a high quality "pre game" show with Liberty singers. Furthermore, it has a great colonial styled holding tank housing flags, paintings and US historical props.

Carousel is not in the same league.

Chef Mickey

I can

After a long stay at AA I came to realize AA is the best because of AA's

American Adventure is a more epic show and it has a high quality "pre game" show with Liberty singers. Furthermore, it has a great colonial styled holding tank housing flags, paintings and US historical props.

Carousel is not in the same league.
I love the American Adventure. Great show.

Minnie1976

Having to make restaurant reservations 120 days out to get the reservations you may want. If you don’t, you may be out of luck. Fast pass+ has totally messed up the lines for attractions. The figment attraction needs help. Disney never should have gotten ride of the Snow White attraction. Disney has gotten rid of a lot of special things that it had years ago.

EmmieSue

1. Strollers, and scooters, aren't the problem. It is the people who have very little care and mind to those around them that suck, regardless of how they are getting around.

Donaldfan1934

It definitely feels like Hollywood Studios is now the place to just stick in whatever IP they can't fit in somewhere else.
This may be more of an unpopular opinion than I thought before reading this thread, so I’m going to say it here. If there’s any park where movie based IP can never be a bad thing, wouldn’t it be a park themed to movies? You could argue over the execution of how certain elements are implemented all you want, but it’s the only kind of park where Disney can go on a total IP rampage and still technically be within the limits of what’s thematically appropriate for said park.

yensidtlaw1969

This may be more of an unpopular opinion than I thought before reading this thread, so I’m going to say it here. If there’s any park where movie based IP can never be a bad thing, wouldn’t it be a park themed to movies? You could argue over the execution of how certain elements are implemented all you want, but it’s the only kind of park where Disney can go on a total IP rampage and still technically be within the limits of what’s thematically appropriate for said park.
They've already moved beyond what's thematically appropriate for the park - at least as it was originally designed. What they're doing thematically in that park these days clears only a much lower bar. Which, you know, they're permitted to move the line, but we should acknowledge that's what they've done.

Disney MGM Studios was never merely "the place where the movie things go". If that's what they want to do now, sure, I guess they can, but I wish they were a little more discerning about it. There's no cohesion to what they're adding to the park and where beyond "it's movies!".

A greater sense of thematic integrity would go a long way to making the park feel like a real "Place".

Donaldfan1934

They've already moved beyond what's thematically appropriate for the park - at least as it was originally designed. What they're doing thematically in that park these days clears only a much lower bar. Which, you know, they're permitted to move the line, but we should acknowledge that's what they've done.

Disney MGM Studios was never merely "the place where the movie things go". If that's what they want to do now, sure, I guess they can, but I wish they were a little more discerning about it. There's no cohesion to what they're adding to the park and where beyond "it's movies!".

A greater sense of thematic integrity would go a long way to making the park feel like a real "Place".
Yes, the initial premise of MGM being one part working studio and one part theme park is a bit different from being a full on theme park that’s supposed to fully immerse you in the worlds of various movies. However, even in those days, it wasn’t particularly discerning about what IP did or didn’t make it into the park. What do all of these characters honestly have in common beyond “it’s movies and/or TV”? Could the park have always been "the place where the movie things go" to some degree?
E1A623C6-0300-4518-B50B-FDA4F02EE719.jpeg

SamPR810

Yes, the initial premise of MGM being one part working studio and one part theme park is a bit different from being a full on theme park that’s supposed to fully immerse you in the worlds of various movies. However, even in those days, it wasn’t particularly discerning about what IP did or didn’t make it into the park. What do all of these characters honestly have in common beyond “it’s movies and/or TV”? Could the park have always been "the place where the movie things go" to some degree?
View attachment 448441

This is a fair point actually

UNCgolf

I think you misread my point (or I didn't communicate it well) -- I agree that Hollywood Studios is the logical place for IP that doesn't fit elsewhere. It's absolutely where they should put stuff like, you know, Guardians of the Galaxy instead of shoehorning into EPCOT. I was saying that it seems like they now just stick it in without really trying to make it fit into the park in any way. It's just dropped in as though it's its own entirely separate thing. Neither Toy Story Land nor Galaxy's Edge have anything connecting them to the rest of the park at all -- there's not even something to attempt to explain why you're suddenly in a totally different environment when the rest of the park all has a LA/Old Hollywood look and feel.

Donaldfan1934

I think you misread my point (or I didn't communicate it well) -- I agree that Hollywood Studios is the logical place for IP that doesn't fit elsewhere. It's absolutely where they should put stuff like, you know, Guardians of the Galaxy instead of shoehorning into EPCOT. I was saying that it seems like they now just stick it in without really trying to make it fit into the park in any way. It's just dropped in as though it's its own entirely separate thing. Neither Toy Story Land nor Galaxy's Edge have anything connecting them to the rest of the park at all -- there's not even something to attempt to explain why you're suddenly in a totally different environment when the rest of the park all has a LA/Old Hollywood look and feel.
I get what you’re saying about the area transitions, but like I said, you can argue over the execution of how certain elements are implemented all you want, but that doesn’t change the thematic appropriateness of something within the park.

Also, keep in mind that the LA/Old Hollywood sections are DHS’s equivalent to MK’s Main Street USA or DAK’s Discovery Island and shouldn’t have to try any harder transitioning it into the other areas of the park than they do. While the lands of DHS don’t neatly radiate off the center of the park like in those two cases, much like the transition from Galaxy’s Edge to Toy Story land, there isn’t much that could’ve been done about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom