I Should Have Known Better, or, My Meal at Tokyo Dining

danyoung56

Sushi from the California Grill has always been fresh and incredibly tasty, and I've had it maybe 20 times over the years.

Hockey89

I don't expect much from Epcot, but man was their sushi crap. Just plain garbage.

Gummy, cold white rice. Old, dry fish. Thankfully, the service was fantastic and the dining room (at 7pm) practically empty.
You can't get great sushi at Disney... Nothing better than a local place... Blah at best....

westie

When we were at Morimoto I noticed they have a sushi bar upstairs. I can't wait for my next visit to try it because everything Morimoto does is excellent!

Phonedave

I don't expect much from Epcot, but man was their sushi crap. Just plain garbage.

Gummy, cold white rice. Old, dry fish. Thankfully, the service was fantastic and the dining room (at 7pm) practically empty.

I have not eaten at Toyko Dining, however when I ate at Teppan Edo the sushi was utter garbage. I thought it would come out of the same kitchen as Toyko Dining. My daughter tried to order a cucumber roll, and they said they could not make it. I said "you have a California roll on the menu, if you can make that, you can make a cucumber roll". Nope, they said they could not make one. That is when I realized it is all pre-made and pre packaged.

As you said, the rice is cold and gummy.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Original Poster
When we were at Morimoto I noticed they have a sushi bar upstairs. I can't wait for my next visit to try it because everything Morimoto does is excellent!

That is not true. Morimoto Orlando is the dumbed-down version of his brand for people who want 'safe' Asian choices.

Case in point: I was there for lunch last week. Sushi from upstairs (or the 'better' sushi as the server boasted) and it was nothing special. Fish wasn't flown-in-fresh tasting. Rice was far too starchy. Bok choy was over-stir fried and covered in some horrible gelatinous sauce, ruining what makes bok choy amazing to begin with.

The best thing about Morimoto DS is their overpriced sake list and the decor.

Weather_Lady

I know you love bad food... I had cal grills sushi this summer and it was terrible... Could have picked it up from my local dive spot

I can testify that the sushi rolls (maki) that California Grill served as part of our colossally disappointing "Brunch At The Top" 2 years ago were indistinguishable in freshness and presentation from those served up at my local supermarket. In quality, they were probably a couple of notches below the fish and seasoned rice you'd find at the better local sushi restaurants here in Rochester, New York (which - shocker! - is not exactly a global hub for Japanese cuisine). ;) Sometimes the best thing about Disney dining is that it makes me appreciate what fabulous dining options I have right in my own hometown. That's not a knock on WDW food (I happen to love my local grocery store's sushi), but the prices and "signature" restaurant designations do tend to raise expectations beyond what the restaurants are able to deliver.

Last edited:

OneofThree

Morimoto Orlando is the dumbed-down version of his brand for people who want 'safe' Asian choices.

Case in point: I was there for lunch last week. Sushi from upstairs (or the 'better' sushi as the server boasted) and it was nothing special. Fish wasn't flown-in-fresh tasting. Rice was far too starchy. Bok choy was over-stir fried and covered in some horrible gelatinous sauce, ruining what makes bok choy amazing to begin with.

I've said it before -Disney knows exactly what they're doing. Evidently their market research is spot on, because they've long figured out that the majority of their current clientele is culinary challenged. Imagine being able to serve average to above average food at a signature location and charge, in my experience, $100+ per plate. Brilliant, really. And the post-purchase reviews keep rolling in: "The steak at Yachtsman was the best I've ever had!" -even though the local Longhorn charges a fraction of the price for equal quality.

Hockey89

I've said it before -Disney knows exactly what they're doing. Evidently their market research is spot on, because they've long figured out that the majority of their current clientele is culinary challenged. Imagine being able to serve average to above average food at a signature location and charge, in my experience, $100+ per plate. Brilliant, really. And the post-purchase reviews keep rolling in: "The steak at Yachtsman was the best I've ever had!" -even though the local Longhorn charges a fraction of the price for equal quality.
You couldn't be more right....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom