News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

This is nuts! What is this place going to look like at spring break?

This is a bit of a red herring. This is the line to walk people back to the ride, once they fill the queue up, it’s the standard 1-2 hour wait they have on any other day. But since everyone there has grabbed a BG, you might as well queue up for the 2 newest rides (SDD & MFSM)

Disstevefan1

This is a bit of a red herring. This is the line to walk people back to the ride, once they fill the queue up, it’s the standard 1-2 hour wait they have on any other day. But since everyone there has grabbed a BG, you might as well queue up for the 2 newest rides (SDD & MFSM)

“The standard 1-2 hour wait they have any other day”..... is it just me, or does that sound awful? It’s sadly true and is sadly the norm.

disneygeek90

I think with the 8 AM opening we are going to start to see cracks in the BG system (i.e. being there at opening will no longer guarantee anything) because of the increase in crowds, but I'm interested to see how it goes.
The limit on guaranteed groups coupled with the later start seems like things could get ugly real fast. 62 is honestly a joke.

Weather_Lady

Smugglers Run was about 45 mins mid day Saturday. Unless you're in the front I don't think it's a good idea to go to SR or SDD first thing.

Yeah, the whole boarding group situation has flipped the touring of Hollywood Studios on its head. Instead of the shortest waits of the day being the hour or two after rope drop, they're the longest waits of the day. That, and the uncertainty of when and if your boarding group will be called, pretty much guarantees (at least, for the infrequent visitor like me) you'll spend every HS day constantly stressed, distracted, and unable to make any other firm plans anywhere. For an OCD planner like me, it's a logistical nightmare.

Still gonna give it a shot, though...

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The limit on guaranteed groups coupled with the later start seems like things could get ugly real fast. 62 is honestly a joke.

Do we still think there are about 100 people in a boarding group?

62 guaranteed groups. That means 6,200 people guaranteed to ride if all goes well -- out of a daily average HS attendance of well over 30,000 guests! I can't think of any other business that considers it acceptable to guarantee service to only 20% of its clientele after they've already paid.

Last edited:

dizneycrazy09

So what is the best rope drop strategy now?

Also, March hours updated again. Opens at 9 AM and closes at 8:30 with Star Wars Galactic fireworks not starting until 9PM?

I'm going at the end of March and am literally terrified of a 9:00 AM open. So much so that I've legitimately considered if I should skip HS altogether.

MJJME

The heavy crowds and long morning lines could be solved by offering the BG process the night before. The only problem is, it would attract many more people trying to get in a BG line (since you would not have to be up and out of bed to do it) so the success rate would drop dramatically……….

Rich Brownn

Do we still think there are about 100 people in a boarding group?

62 guaranteed groups. That means 6,200 people guaranteed to ride if all goes well -- out of a daily average HS attendance of well over 30,000 guests! I can't think of any other business that considers it acceptable to guarantee service to only 20% of its clientele after they've already paid.
I know we had more than that in my last group

Disstevefan1

I think with the 8 AM opening we are going to start to see cracks in the BG system (i.e. being there at opening will no longer guarantee anything) because of the increase in crowds, but I'm interested to see how it goes.

the BG system is not perfect, but let’s say there was no BG system, no fastpass, just standby. You would get on a multi hour line not knowing if you would get on. With the BG system, I know in the morning, I am not going to get on, and with no waiting. 😔

Weather_Lady

I know we had more than that in my last group

Just curious how you could tell. Did your group number get called all by itself (rather than as part of a range of boarding groups that were being admitted during the same window)? If so, do you have any rough estimate of how many people were in your numbered boarding
group? Or when you say "my last group," do you just mean the people who showed up to ride at the same time you did, called from multiple boarding groups?

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

the BG system is not perfect, but let’s say there was no BG system, no fastpass, just standby. You would get on a multi hour line not knowing if you would get on. With the BG system, I know in the morning, I am not going to get on, and with no waiting. 😔

Without the BG system, people would leave in droves and it'd be a PR nightmare. This is really the only solution there is for an unreliable attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom