News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

UNCgolf

So, bringing it back to the B&tB Sing-Along: No, this was not the result of “they’ll like it because it’s Disney,” but instead the result of the directives and limits they were given. These were including, but not limited to, putting an Intellectual Property in the IdF Theater, no alterations to the theater other than new projectors, new projectors, limited budget, no actors, etc. This was the best that they thought they could do given the constraints.

Don't you think that's partially because of a "they'll like it because it's Disney" mindset?

Not from Imagineering, but from the higher executives that set the directives and limits you mention. It reminds me of the decision to sell the same Mickey Mouse etc. stuffed animals in almost every store in all four parks.

Animaniac93-98

Disney has never had the "our customers will love anything we do because they love Disney" mentality. That is a comedic misunderstanding of how the company views its customers. They know that the market is always changing, and they try to change with it. Unfortunately, these changes don’t always favor the preferences of theme park aficionados, like us. As much as we may groan at the newest Spirit Jersey and color trend, there are still thousands of people who genuinely enjoy those things. While I may not always agree with the motivations for wanting those things, it is not my right nor place to judge them for such things.
The examples that you mentioned to prove your point were the result of a different flaw: the belief that all 2nd+ gates should intentionally play second fiddle to the castle parks. The only reason why we got TDS in that same time period was because OLC specifically requested and pushed past the half-day park proposals in favor of something on a similar scale to an MK.
The only example you have that lends a shred of credibility to your point is HKDL. However, it’s failure was mostly the result of budget cuts and misreading the Hong Kong Audience on a level greater than “they don’t just like it because it’s Disney.”

So, bringing it back to the B&tB Sing-Along: No, this was not the result of “they’ll like it because it’s Disney,” but instead the result of the directives and limits they were given. These were including, but not limited to, putting an Intellectual Property in the IdF Theater, no alterations to the theater other than new projectors, new projectors, limited budget, no actors, etc. This was the best that they thought they could do given the constraints.

The belief that a low budget, ham fisted IP addition will succeed no matter what is a prime example of "they'll love it because it's Disney".

And of course there will always be someone who likes it. Cats 2019 has a 53% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. That doesn't mean the final movie was the best idea, or best version of what it could have possibly been.

gustaftp

Disney has never had the "our customers will love anything we do because they love Disney" mentality. That is a comedic misunderstanding of how the company views its customers. They know that the market is always changing, and they try to change with it. Unfortunately, these changes don’t always favor the preferences of theme park aficionados, like us. As much as we may groan at the newest Spirit Jersey and color trend, there are still thousands of people who genuinely enjoy those things. While I may not always agree with the motivations for wanting those things, it is not my right nor place to judge them for such things.

How... naïve. Theme park aficionado or not, DCA 1.0 was universally lambasted as being flat-out bad. Disney management at the time thought it was going to be MORE popular than the original Disneyland. They were unequivocally wrong.

No Name

The whole idea of "our customers will love anything we do because they love Disney" is what got us DCA 2001, WDSP 2002 and HKDL 2005.

Amazing how they don't remember their own lessons from less than 20 years ago. Too bad there's no Disney documentary explaining all this.

Problem is, in changes to both of those parks, they upped both the quality and the amount of movie IP. And some fans can’t tell the difference. There are Californians who will tell you movie IP saved DCA.

No Name

CARSLAND?

My point exactly. :banghead:

Cars Land was well-received largely because it was of much higher quality than the rest of the park at opening. Some folks think it was because of the IP Cars, but if you built a Cars land on the level of the original Hollywood Land, Paradise Pier, Condor Flats, park entrance, etc. it wouldn’t have been successful. But some folks like yourself can’t seem to discern that.

FigmentJedi

My point exactly. :banghead:

Cars Land was well-received largely because it was of much higher quality than the rest of the park at opening. Some folks think it was because of the IP Cars, but if you built a Cars land on the level of the original Hollywood Land, Paradise Pier, Condor Flats, park entrance, etc. it wouldn’t have been successful. But some folks like yourself can’t seem to discern that.
It's true, the common sentiment I kept hearing online was "I hate the Cars movies, but Cars Land is well done enough that it makes up for it" and it's more or less the same with Pandora over at Animal Kingdom too.

Prototype82

With only part of the screen being used, and after hearing how thrown-together it is, I'm starting to be under the impression that the sing-along is a people-eater for until the new film finally debuts and until Ratatouille is open. I'd be so happy to hear of a timeline for the new film. Would love to hear some hope for this theater.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With only part of the screen being used, and after hearing how thrown-together it is, I'm starting to be under the impression that the sing-along is a people-eater for until the new film finally debuts and until Ratatouille is open. I'd be so happy to hear of a timeline for the new film. Would love to hear some hope for this theater.
Last I heard was two years from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom