Pinocchio live action reboot

Willing to give it a chance. Maybe they'll find a way of incorporating some more concepts from Carlo Lorenzini/Collodi's original novel, although it might be a little hard given how much harsher it was, and how much more episodic. (Collodi was serializing it in a magazine, and actually killed the woodenhead off, but popular demand forced him to write a new chapter saying Pinoke was only MOSTLY dead, and going on from there.)

I'd also like to see Jiminy and Geppetto interact a little, which they didn't in the original. Maybe have Jiminy offer his services as "lucky cricket" in the beginning, in return for shelter. (After all, as Charles Dickens knew, a cricket on your hearth brings you luck.) Then, at the end, he prepares to take his leave, telling Geppetto "I don't think Pinocchio needs me as a conscience anymore." "Perhaps not," Geppetto answers, "but doesn't every family need a lucky cricket? Please, my friend, stay with us."

Wasn't Robert Downey Jr. considered for Geppetto at one point, or am I misremembering?

Also...remember that version from 2002 where Roberto Benigni played Pinocchio? It was much closer to the original--but flopped hard for various reasons, one of them being that the novel didn't necessarily translate well to film if done absolutely faithfully. Well, there's a new Italian version out (that's soon to be released here with an English dub), with Benigni playing Geppetto...and, at least in Italy, has received far better reviews.

champdisney

Tom Hanks... eh.

I already know what kind of performance we’re going to get with Hanks. Robert Downey Jr. would’ve been a good choice. I also think Michael J. Fox, despite his condition with Parkinson’s, would be great too. Something a little out of the ordinary for Old Man Geppetto and not another Mr. Rogers reenactment.

Brer Panther

Original Poster
Also...remember that version from 2002 where Roberto Benigni played Pinocchio? It was much closer to the original--but flopped hard for various reasons, one of them being that the novel didn't necessarily translate well to film if done absolutely faithfully.
I remember seeing ads for that. Looked creepy. Heard it was really bad.

BubbaisSleep

It's probably a difficult one to translate, where do you balance adapting the animated film, versus the myth? It's quite cartoony.

I also wouldn't trust the woke filer being applied to it. Toxic masculinity, the real hero being a 14-year-old girl. A right-wing villain like James Woods.
Balance will always be restored with the casting of Danny Devito.
I'm glad their working on it. Casting will be important for this one. I can see The Muses being very popular if done right.

popular.

Also... remember that version from 2019 where Roberto Benigni played Geppetto?

Yup, that's the recently released one I meant. Seems the English-language dub is being released in the UK, but not in America yet from what I understand. It's still gotten far better reviews than the 2002 version. Will be worth looking into.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

brb1006

Alan to play Honest John and Stephen Graham to play The Coachman in Disney's live action 'Pinocchio' starring Tom Hanks as Geppetto
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/10/3...hen-graham-for-roles-in-live-action-pinocchio

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom