Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I've been to WDW on marathon weekend before and was there again this year. I'm always pretty shocked at how much of a poor job they do accommodating guests who are not runners. Getting around is not just an inconvenience, it's absolutely impossible. If you're not at a monorail/boat/Skyliner resort, you're completely out of luck.

HouCuseChickie

Still trying to process everything from all of this. It was my first rD trip and I'm pretty positive it won't be my last. I just need to be smarter next time, because I think a lot of my issues go back to trying to do too much in between races and not getting enough sleep. And aside from my neighbors being a bit loud at times, really happy being at AKL for this one. I had heard about issues in previous years, but I had no complaints.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Still trying to process everything from all of this. It was my first rD trip and I'm pretty positive it won't be my last. I just need to be smarter next time, because I think a lot of my issues go back to trying to do too much in between races and not getting enough sleep. And aside from my neighbors being a bit loud at times, really happy being at AKL for this one. I had heard about issues in previous years, but I had no complaints.

I completely get that. The first year I went to DLP for the half marathon I had “almost” done too much in addition to the race, and DLP is not the same atmosphere/energy as WDW. So when I did the half at WDW in 2018, I structured the trip to do less until after I finished the half. In fact, I thought a lot about it during my last trip a Few weeks ago, as we seemed to do so much “more” this time around.

surfsupdon

What I have figured out to work for me is to wake up at 6am daily on a runDisney Trip. Not even to rope drop, just to be up early. Get to a park in the morning. Relax, but not nap, at a pool all afternoon, and then head to a park at night. Get to bed around 1230a. Then wake up early and continue the cycle. This gets me tired so the night before a race it’s easy to fall asleep at 7pm, but I’m not physically tired from being on my feet all day in the parks bc all afternoon I’m laying at the pool or in the water. It’s a strategy I use that has helped me.

OG Runner

My main complaint was the transportation. I got on a bus at the Caribbean Beach Resort a few minutes after 3:00am.
I got off at Epcot around 4:30am, for the race beginning at 5:00pm. Straight to the corrals. The traffic was insane. Disney
should be able to do something about it.

Piglet_the_brave

This was my first runDisney event and first experience of any race outside of the UK. Admittedly I’ve never run anything on that scale before, but compared to races over here organisation seemed pretty good. It might have helped that I’m quite anxious on timekeeping so was on one of the first buses each morning and never had any issues with getting there on time.

I kind of made the same mistake as Chickie, in trying to do too much. Tried to make sure the rest of the family were still enjoying their holiday and not missing out on things because of my events.

I ran Dopey, including my first marathon. Was in corral C and really hoped for a time under 5 hours. But no amount of training over here could prepare me for the heat on the Sunday. Also a dodgy stomach, so ended up closer to 5 1/2. But I’m hooked, and really want to do another event. Hinting at my husband about the Paris races, to get the extra medal

HouCuseChickie

I completely get that. The first year I went to DLP for the half marathon I had “almost” done too much in addition to the race, and DLP is not the same atmosphere/energy as WDW. So when I did the half at WDW in 2018, I structured the trip to do less until after I finished the half. In fact, I thought a lot about it during my last trip a Few weeks ago, as we seemed to do so much “more” this time around.

You'll probably feel some of this while reading the TR...like OMG, they are doing waaaay too much when she has a race the next day with a middle of the night wake up call. I would eventually try and restrain myself, but some was a little too late and some were things sort of out of my control. I still finished...no being swept, but there were lessons learned. Sounds like you had the better plan in just doing more after your longest distance.

What I have figured out to work for me is to wake up at 6am daily on a runDisney Trip. Not even to rope drop, just to be up early. Get to a park in the morning. Relax, but not nap, at a pool all afternoon, and then head to a park at night. Get to bed around 1230a. Then wake up early and continue the cycle. This gets me tired so the night before a race it’s easy to fall asleep at 7pm, but I’m not physically tired from being on my feet all day in the parks bc all afternoon I’m laying at the pool or in the water. It’s a strategy I use that has helped me.

Thanks! I might have to play with this idea. I don't want to be a total hermit during the day or try and shift to nocturnal living :hilarious:, but I need to find some way to get more sleep before each race. I had plans to hit the pool and hot tub to relax, and I just didn't do it. I had plans to fall asleep early before the half, but I let a number of things get to me and it was another night with 2 hours of sleep. I guess at least there's time to come up with a plan before the next one.

RunningKoen

This was my first runDisney event and first experience of any race outside of the UK. Admittedly I’ve never run anything on that scale before, but compared to races over here organisation seemed pretty good. It might have helped that I’m quite anxious on timekeeping so was on one of the first buses each morning and never had any issues with getting there on time.

I kind of made the same mistake as Chickie, in trying to do too much. Tried to make sure the rest of the family were still enjoying their holiday and not missing out on things because of my events.

I ran Dopey, including my first marathon. Was in corral C and really hoped for a time under 5 hours. But no amount of training over here could prepare me for the heat on the Sunday. Also a dodgy stomach, so ended up closer to 5 1/2. But I’m hooked, and really want to do another event. Hinting at my husband about the Paris races, to get the extra medal

Congrats on the first runDisney weekend! We (@Swissmiss and I) can highly recommend the Paris weekend. This year's the 5th anniversary :)

I have to admit, one thing that helped me was that I never got over jetlag - even though by the time the races rolled around it was more than 2 weeks into my trip - so I was really only waking up about an hour earlier than I was used to.

Same! All my recent WDW trips started off with running, so that's even easier to wake up that early.

todd23

I've been to WDW on marathon weekend before and was there again this year. I'm always pretty shocked at how much of a poor job they do accommodating guests who are not runners. Getting around is not just an inconvenience, it's absolutely impossible. If you're not at a monorail/boat/Skyliner resort, you're completely out of luck.

I agree with this. My parents were at Disney World with us and wanted to watch me run and the scenarios I had to go through with them to spectate were so confusing to them. Luckily they seemed to have a good time, but spectating is not easy.

todd23

My main complaint was the transportation. I got on a bus at the Caribbean Beach Resort a few minutes after 3:00am.
I got off at Epcot around 4:30am, for the race beginning at 5:00pm. Straight to the corrals. The traffic was insane. Disney
should be able to do something about it.
It sounds like you had better luck than me. I got on a bus at Pop at 3:10 and arrived at Epcot at about 5:10. I was in corral A, but obviously missed starting then. I ended up starting around 5:45.

Greenlawler

Well no one has said it yet but what was the deal with the characters for the 5k and 10k?

There were only 4-5 characters out for the 5k on course. Then at the 10k there was not a character till mile 3 if I am not mistaken.

I thought they did much better for the half.....some unusual characters. But the full was pretty much standard fare.

I have seen some wild pics lately of some really rare characters that are popping up around the parks like Tick Tock, Jim Hawkins, etc...I would have thought the marathon would have been the perfect place to show them off.

Greenlawler

My wife and I started this whole running journey over a decade ago because of the characters.

We had little boys who loved characters and that was our main hobby for years and years. I saw a pic of a runner with Hades at the 2007 marathon and we've been running ever since.

I think runDisney/entertainment should always throw one or two "hard to find" characters out for every race. I mean that is one of the main reasons people run/enjoy the races. I am blown away every year by the sheer number of folks I meet who say they started running because of the characters.

I will say they did have some interesting characters out this year, but not like they used to. Man I sound like "Get off my lawn guy".

I just will never forget in 2009 turning to run up towards the lake in Epcot for the half and seeing the entire Robin Hood, Hunchback, and Pinocchio crews, like 12 characters. Or in 2011, i think, the year they let Zorro, The Little Pigs, Shan Yu, Davy Crockett and Tom Sawyer out.

In know there's a ton of characters out there who have been seen within the last few years....Dumbo, Rattigan, Tick Tock, Jim Hawkins, Cheshire Cat, and no telling who else is lurking backstage. I simply hope they start freeing some of those great characters more often after all these are pretty pricey races. I just hope, with the new director they do not settle into the pattern of just putting out the characters they do every day

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I agree with this. My parents were at Disney World with us and wanted to watch me run and the scenarios I had to go through with them to spectate were so confusing to them. Luckily they seemed to have a good time, but spectating is not easy.

Any pointers with this? Not like I expected any less, but I'm thinking about going back next year and my parents are discussing meeting me there. They want to run the 5k, but I have to assume they would like to spectate for the longer distances. i.e. not like me hanging out with AK security on the day of the full and randomly cheering on runners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom