Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

yensidtlaw1969

Your foil hat wouldn’t fit a mouse.
We talking this size mouse, or this size mouse?

1f31c1aed5516963d93c09ab36cea330-800.jpg
Chef-Remy-Les-Chefs-de-France-Epcot.jpg

I don't tend to dabble in conspiracy theories, and I know that correlation does not equal causation, but this was the first time the thought occurred to me and I just wondered about it out loud. Hence the concern over the foil hat!

matt9112

We have gotten more new attractions this decade, than any previous decade. This is a very good time to be an Orlando theme park fan.

Still havent kept up with park attendance. If you were to chart attendance rise in a ten year period and than overlay additionally added capacity (on a percentage basis) it wiould be worse than ten years ago. Period end of argument do sir have a nice day. Hats off shops closed.

UNCgolf

What exactly did you mean if you didn’t mean people who live near disney?

Obviously I meant the annual passholders who go regularly, not just any random person that lives in Orlando. There are numerous people in these threads who have been on RotR multiple times because they can do it essentially on a whim, especially on the weekends. But there are also plenty of people who don't work standard M-F 9-5 jobs.

Regardless, the boarding group waves system I proposed fixes that problem as well as most of the others. It's also far more equitable.

peter11435

Obviously I meant the annual passholders who go regularly, not just any random person that lives in Orlando. There are numerous people in these threads who have been on RotR multiple times because they can do it essentially on a whim, especially on the weekends. But there are also plenty of people who don't work standard M-F 9-5 jobs.

Regardless, the boarding group waves system I proposed fixes that problem as well as most of the others. It's also far more equitable.
I think boarding groups is better for those on vacation than it is for locals. Locals could easily devote a day or many hours to standing in line. For those on vacation however time is at a premium.

Haymarket2008

Agree with a lot of what is being said about DHS. The park is still in a bad way, imo. I was only able to ride Rise of the Resistance last week after getting a boarding pass. Everything else was wildly crowded and the lines were way too long. 2+ hour waits for Falcon, Slinky, Tower and RnRC. Mickey will certainly help, but the park still needs all it can get. Replace those dated shows ASAP.

UNCgolf

I think boarding groups is better for those on vacation than it is for locals. Locals could easily devote a day or many hours to standing in line. For those on vacation however time is at a premium.

I think the concept of boarding groups in general is better, yes -- I just don't think the timing for acquiring a boarding group is ideal. I think it's easier for locals to be there at opening, especially since they moved the opening time of the park back to 7 AM. It would have be easier for resort guests if the opening time remained at 8. Using Disney transportation to get to a park is a crapshoot. Making the opening time so early means guests need to be out waiting for a bus by 6 or perhaps even earlier. I know I've had to wait 30+ minutes for a Disney bus before, and then there's usually 15-20 minutes of transit time, and then actually disembarking and walking to the entrance. It's definitely possible you could be at a bus stop at 6 AM and still not make it into the park until after 7.

Just splitting the boarding groups in half would be a big improvement. Half are available at park opening, the other half become available at noon or something like that.

nickys

Premium Member
I think the concept of boarding groups in general is better, yes -- I just don't think the timing for acquiring a boarding group is ideal. I think it's easier for locals to be there at opening, especially since they moved the opening time of the park back to 7 AM. It would have be easier for resort guests if the opening time remained at 8. Using Disney transportation to get to a park is a crapshoot. Making the opening time so early means guests need to be out waiting for a bus by 6 or perhaps even earlier. I know I've had to wait 30+ minutes for a Disney bus before, and then there's usually 15-20 minutes of transit time, and then actually disembarking and walking to the entrance. It's definitely possible you could be at a bus stop at 6 AM and still not make it into the park until after 7.

Just splitting the boarding groups in half would be a big improvement. Half are available at park opening, the other half become available at noon or something like that.

With that idea, there could be hours of downtime if everything runs well. Or very limited availability at noon if there’s been a lot of downtime. The whole point of boarding groups for RotR is the reliability issue. How do they decide how many to release first thing and how many to hold back?

And if they roll it out and use it for other rides where it’s not really required, and opening with just stand-by would work, then the problem could be exacerbated even more with your system.

Steph15251

You believe it's harder for people who are NOT working, staying on or near property, and dedicating their days to Disney... than it is for people who happen to live near Disney?

Ok... *rolleyes*
I live about 18 mins from Disney ,no way am I going to Disney early in the morning just to get a boarding group and then go to work ,I am also blackout til April.

UNCgolf

With that idea, there could be hours of downtime if everything runs well. Or very limited availability at noon if there’s been a lot of downtime. The whole point of boarding groups for RotR is the reliability issue. How do they decide how many to release first thing and how many to hold back?

And if they roll it out and use it for other rides where it’s not really required, and opening with just stand-by would work, then the problem could be exacerbated even more with your system.

I am only talking about using it for RotR, not other rides. I also don't see how there could be hours of downtime -- all they have to do is distribute enough groups at opening that if the ride runs at full capacity they will be nearing the end at the noon distribution time. The limited availability at noon is fine if there's been a lot of downtime; that's actually a plus in my mind. That way they haven't distributed a bunch of groups that won't be called. When I said half, I didn't really mean half -- wasn't the right word. I really just meant splitting them up a bit rather than distributing ALL of them at park opening. A secondary distribution later in the day would be great.

I think it's a way to give more people the chance to ride than the current system. It's not that easy for resort guest to get to Hollywood Studios that early even if everything is going perfectly for them that morning, and things often aren't going perfectly for both personal reasons and Disney reasons.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's no easier for a local to be there... you've got a beef with Disney Transportation and somehow are extrapolating this into a locals vs resort guests thing. If you don't like Disney's transportation constraints for a situation - DON'T USE IT. Nothing is preventing you from hopping into a car, or calling a taxi, or an uber, and getting there on your own accord.

"Disney transportation sucks" is not "its easier for locals" garbage. It's simply people needing to acknowledge Disney's transportation is not as time efficient as someone providing their own transportation. This has nothing to do with RoTR, BGs, opening times, whatever.. it's just simple common sense. In isolation and in low scale, having your own vehicle is going to usually be more efficient than a interval based bus.

It's amazing people are huffing and puffing about this WEEKS later, stressing over how to plan, etc.. when a simple one-time $15 uber ride eliminates 100% of the grief.

You're dreaming up new complaints and comparisons.. trying to label things.. and just getting it all wrong because you can't figure out how to focus in on what your actual conflict is.

7am or 8am or any am - it doesn't make a difference when your actual complaint is the amount of extra time you have to account for because you are relying on the free Disney buses.

Instead of buying one over-priced t-shirt... spare yourself all this grief and get a car/taxi/uber this ONE TIME to deal with RoTR access.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The entire point is you are agile... you don't need to plan so far ahead. Release a block, see how things go, release the next block, etc. Or do it on a cadence, and simply stop releasing or adjust the amount released based on operating conditions.

The idea of rolling availability is an optimization that is entirely possible and serves many different guest scenarios better than what they are doing now. It was discussed ages ago. It's just nothing to do with the kind of 'problems' this guy is trying to paint as the issue.

UNCgolf

It's no easier for a local to be there... you've got a beef with Disney Transportation and somehow are extrapolating this into a locals vs resort guests thing. If you don't like Disney's transportation constraints for a situation - DON'T USE IT. Nothing is preventing you from hopping into a car, or calling a taxi, or an uber, and getting there on your own accord.

"Disney transportation sucks" is not "its easier for locals" garbage. It's simply people needing to acknowledge Disney's transportation is not as time efficient as someone providing their own transportation. This has nothing to do with RoTR, BGs, opening times, whatever.. it's just simple common sense. In isolation and in low scale, having your own vehicle is going to usually be more efficient than a interval based bus.

It's amazing people are huffing and puffing about this WEEKS later, stressing over how to plan, etc.. when a simple one-time $15 uber ride eliminates 100% of the grief.

You're dreaming up new complaints and comparisons.. trying to label things.. and just getting it all wrong because you can't figure out how to focus in on what your actual conflict is.

7am or 8am or any am - it doesn't make a difference when your actual complaint is the amount of extra time you have to account for because you are relying on the free Disney buses.

Instead of buying one over-priced t-shirt... spare yourself all this grief and get a car/taxi/uber this ONE TIME to deal with RoTR access.

Wow did you totally misread my post. I don't care about any of that. I have no issue with Disney transportation, and I have taken Lyft to the parks numerous times. I was only pointing out how that could be a problem for other people (although I will say it's also not always that easy to get a Lyft/Uber/whatever at 6:30 in the morning). I only care about the early morning time because I like to sleep; I don't want to get up at 6:30 AM while I'm on vacation.

You can say that's my personal problem, and sure, it is. That doesn't mean it's not still bad policy to distribute all the boarding groups at once first thing in the morning. There's no downside that I can see to my suggestion, and it's more equitable for everyone overall. It also gives Disney more operational flexibility.

Considering you just agreed with me in your last post, I don't know why you're so aggressively attacking me over a random side thing that wasn't relevant to my overall point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I only care about the early morning time because I like to sleep; I don't want to get up at 6:30 AM while I'm on vacation.

You can say that's my personal problem, and sure, it is.

It is.. and learn to acknowledge that and accept it instead of making up claims like "its easier for locals" which has nothing to do with your personal preference on the time you like to wake up.

Literally your argument boils down to "7am openings are too early for me... I want to sleep in more and still ride. So I don't like distribution at 7am park openings"

Nothing more. Not that it's easier for group 1 vs 2... or whatever. Literally it's you don't want to be there for a 7am opening. End of story.

UNCgolf

It is.. and learn to acknowledge that and accept it instead of making up claims like "its easier for locals" which has nothing to do with your personal preference on the time you like to wake up.

Literally your argument boils down to "7am openings are too early for me... I want to sleep in more and still ride. So I don't like distribution at 7am park openings"

Nothing more. Not that it's easier for group 1 vs 2... or whatever. Literally it's you don't want to be there for a 7am opening. End of story.

Which I've said multiple times. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. And the things I said about transportation ARE still a problem for most Disney resort guests; it's not easy to dismiss as you're pretending even if it's not something that matters to me personally. It IS easier for locals who have their own car. That's not something specific to RotR; it just matters more in this particular scenario and it's exacerbated by distributing all the boarding groups at opening when opening is at 7 AM. But the issue would still exist even if the opening was at 9 AM or 10 AM -- distributing all the groups at one time isn't the most efficient way to operate.

Regardless, you already agreed with me, so thanks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which I've said multiple times. That doesn't mean I'm wrong

No, it still means you don't know how to communicate your issue and instead make up other stuff that isn't correct.

It IS easier for locals who have their own car

And this is where you keep screwing up. It has nothing to do with being a local - your point is about who has a car or not. Plenty of resort guests have cars! The decisive point in your argument is who is using Disney transportation or sourcing their own. It has nothing to do with the split you've tried to argue.

distributing all the groups at one time isn't the most efficient way to operate.

Regardless, you already agreed with me, so thanks.

You're just catching up to stuff I wrote over a month ago... quoted below

Fairest isn't really true. It's fair in the sense everyone has the same shot at getting one, but it could still be distributed in another ways to make it more accessible to other audiences.

For instance, Disney could simply release BG blocks at regular intervals during the day. This would diffuse the need to be there first thing in the AM... relieving a lot of that pressure. Plus it would incentivize people to stay in the park as they would keep getting more shots at a BG if they miss out early.

Example: Release 20 blocks every 90mins at a pre-set time. Still limit people to one BG per day. This would mean those that are there earlier... get multiple chances to get a BG. And those that are there later, still get a chance at a BG. All while encouraging guests to be in the park... and discouraging the benefit of 'race to first' which is pushing ops harder to open the park early.

Additionally it would allow Disney to better regulate how many BGs are distributed each day... so they can increase or decrease their float multiple times a day as needed.

AND.. the system would be compatible with morning EMH...

UNCgolf

No, it still means you don't know how to communicate your issue and instead make up other stuff that isn't correct.

And this is where you keep screwing up. It has nothing to do with being a local - your point is about who has a car or not. Plenty of resort guests have cars! The decisive point in your argument is who is using Disney transportation or sourcing their own. It has nothing to do with the split you've tried to argue.

I didn't make up anything that wasn't correct. Everything I said is true. You are right that there are resort guests who have a car and they also have the same advantage as locals, but most resort guests do not. I also think you missed some of my earlier posts (unless they were in a different thread, and they may have been), because I was talking about the issue well before I mentioned anything about locals or transportation or anything else. Those were just other things that popped into my mind as potential issues for a lot of guests.

I have no idea why you're so aggressive about this. You're coming across as a jerk. The only thing I can think of is that you are a local and you think I'm attacking locals, which was not at all what I intended with that throwaway line.

As for your earlier post -- yep, that's exactly right. I'm in complete agreement with you there. Everything about the system you lay out would be a significant improvement for both Disney operations AND guests over what how it's currently done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom