Space Mountain hurts me too much to ride it again until it's repaired. Anyone else feel this way?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think a lot us to just do with age. Our bodies just aren't built for it like they used to be. Younger kids ride it no issue. I feel fine after I ride it but I'm sure there will come a time when I can't. I do think that track could use a little reno but I think that's also part of the ride. It's jarring, it dark, it's not supposed to be smooth and predictable. I have a hard time on thunder mountain. That to me is much more jarring. But, it's supposed to be.

Indeed.

Those who say the coaster has gotten rough with age from all the welding can't possibly be referring the the lateral forces that are the rib breakers and neck whiplashers. They would have to be changing the physical layout of the track in order to do that. They whould have to be welding out a banked turn and welding in a flat turn. I just can't imagine how they could be doing that.

All the welding may be introducing roughness like the chattering that happens when riding over cobblestone. That seems reasonable.

But... just how does an older coaster introduce more lateral Gs? Or more sudden changes in vertical Gs without a pretty significant change in the layout of the track? And how does the track get significant layout changes from simply welding parts that are failing/cracking?

In fact, our insiders tell us that they slowed down Space Mountain with a bunch of brakes. So.... evidence of it actually being *less* intense?

I'm willing to listen to a reasonable explanation. But until then... y'all are just getting older.

Hockey89

I’m guessing this is an age or not being in shape problem. I was on it this summer and it’s just a slow boring roller coaster for kids. Nothing intense at all.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

this is an age or not being in shape problem

Except for the fact that I'm a perfectly healthy 15-year old who is literally perfect for roller coasters, and enjoys most- like Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and The Incredible Hulk, with no issues. Plus, I went on it back in May of 2019, and it was fine (on Omega), but this time, when I went on Alpha it was rough as heck. I was in the back both times. Not sure though. Now, it's just in my "Ride at the end of the day if desired" list.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Except for the fact that I'm a perfectly healthy 15-year old who is literally perfect for roller coasters, and enjoys most- like Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and The Incredible Hulk, with no issues. Plus, I went on it back in May of 2019, and it was fine (on Omega), but this time, when I went on Alpha it was rough as heck. I was in the back both times. Not sure though. Now, it's just in my "Ride at the end of the day if desired" list.

What do you mean by rough? Lateral jerking back and forth? Drops suddenly going back up jerking one upward? Chattering of the wheels?

Hockey89

Sorry. I was just on it and it’s for little kids. Nothing bad about it at all.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

What do you mean by rough? Lateral jerking back and forth? Drops suddenly going back up jerking one upward? Chattering of the wheels?

The drops were annoying, jerking me upward, and the ride just seemed to jerk me back and forth. As I said, normally I love roller coasters, but this one irritated me somehow. I think it's getting to an age where it just needs a refurbishment (maybe after Tron opens.) And it's not the drops or sharp turns either.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The drops were annoying, jerking me upward, and the ride just seemed to jerk me back and forth. As I said, normally I love roller coasters, but this one irritated me somehow. I think it's getting to an age where it just needs a refurbishment (maybe after Tron opens.) And it's not the drops or sharp turns either.

Yeah, but how does a coaster age into making turns and dips more forceful unless the track is significantly altered?

ELG13

I'm 35 and have no issues with the ride. When we went during the after hours ticketed even last time we rode it 5 times in a row and It was awesome!!! I think if it's to hard for people then maybe just avoid it. Ride barnstormer or mine train. But do not under any circumstance ride thunder mountain 😆. A little refurb will be ok, but the ride itself was made when rollercoasters were rollercoasters. If they made it too smooth it wouldn't be the same.

ELG13

You can't really compare rollercoasters that were made in 1999 and 2006 to a rollercoaster made in 1975.

Trackmaster

Indeed.

Those who say the coaster has gotten rough with age from all the welding can't possibly be referring the the lateral forces that are the rib breakers and neck whiplashers. They would have to be changing the physical layout of the track in order to do that. They whould have to be welding out a banked turn and welding in a flat turn. I just can't imagine how they could be doing that.

All the welding may be introducing roughness like the chattering that happens when riding over cobblestone. That seems reasonable.

But... just how does an older coaster introduce more lateral Gs? Or more sudden changes in vertical Gs without a pretty significant change in the layout of the track? And how does the track get significant layout changes from simply welding parts that are failing/cracking?

In fact, our insiders tell us that they slowed down Space Mountain with a bunch of brakes. So.... evidence of it actually being *less* intense?

I'm willing to listen to a reasonable explanation. But until then... y'all are just getting older.

Two things
1. Yes, coasters do get much more rough over time. This is evidenced by pretty much any coaster out there... even the ones that are maintained, but especially the ones that aren't.
2. People probably just high a higher expectation of smoothness now. The designers use advanced computer programs now to plan out their designs and the computers and analytics spit back to them how enjoyable a ride will be. When they were designing things by hand, it was more trial by error, with the actual riders being the guinea pigs.

macefamily

I think a large part of Space Mountain's rough ride is that it's in the dark. You can't see what's coming so you can't prepare your body for a dip or sharp turn. I rode it during the "lights out" event during Mickey's Halloween party and it was crazy. The unexpected twists and turns of SM are a big part of its allure.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

I think a large part of Space Mountain's rough ride is that it's in the dark. You can't see what's coming so you can't prepare your body for a dip or sharp turn. I rode it during the "lights out" event during Mickey's Halloween party and it was crazy. The unexpected twists and turns of SM are a big part of its allure.

That's a valid point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes, coasters do get much more rough over time.

Again, *define rough*.

Nobody has yet to do that. In fact, "rough" is such a vague word, just please, everyone, stop using it and be more precise over what the problem is.

They complain about whiplash and being thrown about, which was not the case earlier in the life of the coaster. But how does that happen without the track actually changing? Did all the repairs actually remove the smooth banking?

Or is it simply chattering of wheels because the smoothness of the track has tiny bumps and ever so slight misalignment causing a lateral shaking rather than a lateral G-force ragdolling?

I want to know how a coaster which at one time didn't cause whiplash and bruised ribs is now able to do that. Did all those repairs create significant changes to the course of the tracks?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Wow, you answered your own question!!

Wear and Tear. Science. Friction.

So wear and tear can add more G's to the ride?

Wear and tear of what? The track? When they repair it, do they change its path? Do the replace it with a length of track that introduces a new path that causes Gs that weren't there before? Or is it wear and tear of the supports? And when they weld or replace them, they change the course of the track that adds new Gs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom