Wilderness Lodge vs. Boardwalk

correcaminos

It's only $600 to upgrade to the regular dining plan, not that much for 4 Disney adults
Please understand my point of view on this, I am anti DDP as it is too much food period for me. It's not a selling point for me. To have to pay to upgrade to get what you want is a negative to me. That aside, to go to PO Riverside or FQ from WL is a negative. I've stayed at all and there really is not a fair comparison as WL really stands out.

Club Cooloholic

Please understand my point of view on this, I am anti DDP as it is too much food period for me. It's not a selling point for me. To have to pay to upgrade to get what you want is a negative to me. That aside, to go to PO Riverside or FQ from WL is a negative. I've stayed at all and there really is not a fair comparison as WL really stands out.
Also how many days is that 600 spread out. For 5 or 6 nights, I think that's a lot. For 8 nights...ok a little better...but still.

correcaminos

Also how many days is that 600 spread out. For 5 or 6 nights, I think that's a lot. For 8 nights...ok a little better...but still.
I thought he said 9 or 10? Still for me one TS a day for that many days is too much. Every other day (unless sandwiches or appetizers only) is my max. For 8 days we have 2 planned. One is the Plaza where I can have a sandwich. The other is Sci Fi which may get dropped lol

Club Cooloholic

I thought he said 9 or 10? Still for me one TS a day for that many days is too much. Every other day (unless sandwiches or appetizers only) is my max. For 8 days we have 2 planned. One is the Plaza where I can have a sandwich. The other is Sci Fi which may get dropped lol
Yeah, we have done split stays and paid for it for a 3 night, but 10 days is a lot food! But, Dave does do a lot of 2 credit meals, so maybe every other day is his plan.

nickys

Premium Member
T

he savings would allow us to get the dining promo and the 25% promo and have two rooms at Port Orleans, giving the adults one room and the two teens there own

I would just remind you at this point that there is no guarantee you would get adjoining rooms (with a door in between). You could end up with two rooms in separate building even.

Seeshark

I did a split stay at those two resorts on one trip and loved the different vibes each resort presented. It was almost like two different trips built into one. I hear you on the limits because of the free dining promo, but if you can swing it, a split is how I would go. Stay at WL for the days you'll be going to MK, or maybe MK and AK, and then move to Boardwalk for the rest of the trip. But overall, I like WL better then Boardwalk, particularly as a place to just chill, but prefer the Boardwalk location with regard to the parks. I love the boat ride to MK, but if you're going for a day or two, and then plan to being in Epcot and HS for a day or two longer, and particularly if you plan on eating dinners at Epcot, then I'd rather be near the International Gateway. My daughter did like the scary clown pool slide, which wasn't always open when we were there, but preferred the main WL pool overall.

My 9 year old son loves the clown pool at the Boardwalk and really enjoys the boardwalk entertainment and games in the evening. The slide at the Wilderness lodge is a disappointment, but the lobby is amazing with little side nooks upstairs (fireplaces), and it really feels secluded even though you are a short boat ride away from MK. For me it would depend on which parks I would be frequenting more. I wouldn't want to stay at PO; too far from the parks and relying on the bus. However, if you want to eat at DS a lot . . . maybe?

correcaminos

Yeah, we have done split stays and paid for it for a 3 night, but 10 days is a lot food! But, Dave does do a lot of 2 credit meals, so maybe every other day is his plan.
Not judging others of course with my previous comment. More of was explaining. I just cannot eat much lol. Good thing because I can spend the money elsewhere. Soon likely more food for my kid too!

Parker in NYC

My family used to stay at the WL. Granted, that was y-e-a-r-s ago. But after staying at the Boardwalk last month, I can't stop singing its praises to friends. Aesthetically, it's just a darn classy hotel. I had such a sense of calm there, and since we attended for the opening of Rise, transportation was second to none. Also, there were a few impromptu walks to Epcot for noshes from the Festival of the Holidays - another plus.

And the rooms were cozy and well-appointed. Just the right amount of theming. We had a park view (Spaceship Earth and France - ha) but the Skyliner gondolas got in the way a bit. Still, sitting on the balcony at the end of the day with a scotch and soda and watching the fireworks was just lovely.

And sure, we embraced the creepy clown pool and creepy chairs in the lobby -- face your fears head on, I suppose. But it all was kind of campy to us but then, I'm a fan of those Weird America books, what can I say. But it's a big pool by Disney standards (or I'm wrong and it just seemed that way) and the slide is great!

We won't be able to afford to go back in the foreseeable future, so it's back to the POFQ for future trips (which has the same feeling, actually, as the Boardwalk). A sense of serenity, the tempo slows. But yeah, we'll be back at some point!

Last edited:

OneofThree

One thing seems clear, beauty is definitely in the eye, as they say. PO is probably the one moderate I'd put on par with some of the deluxe resorts, but you'd have to appreciate that particular aesthetic to think so. The buses aren't bad at all. They may not be as convenient as walking from CR to MK or from Boardwalk to EC or DHS, but there is waiting involved with the launches and monorails as well.

Club Cooloholic

One thing seems clear, beauty is definitely in the eye, as they say. PO is probably the one moderate I'd put on par with some of the deluxe resorts, but you'd have to appreciate that particular aesthetic to think so. The buses aren't bad at all. They may not be as convenient as walking from CR to MK or from Boardwalk to EC or DHS, but there is waiting involved with the launches and monorails as well.
I agree with you here. PO grounds are amazing, the pools are plentiful and lots of activities, and despite all the rooms, it's spread out in a way where you never feel its that crowded.

SeaCastle

My family used to stay at the WL. Granted, that was y-e-a-r-s ago. But after staying at the Boardwalk last month, I can't stop singing its praises to friends. Aesthetically, it's just a darn classy hotel. I had such a sense of calm there, and since we attended for the opening of Rise, transportation was second to none. Also, there were a few impromptu walks to Epcot for noshes from the Festival of the Holidays - another plus.

And the rooms were cozy and well-appointed. Just the right amount of theming. We had a park view (Spaceship Earth and France - ha) but the Skyliner gondolas got in the way a bit. Still, sitting on the balcony at the end of the day with a scotch and soda and watching the fireworks was just lovely.

And sure, we embraced the creepy clown pool and creepy chairs in the lobby -- face your fears head on, I suppose. But it all was kind of campy to us but then, I'm a fan of those Weird America books, what can I say. But it's a big pool by Disney standards (or I'm wrong and it just seemed that way) and the slide is great!

We won't be able to afford to go back in the foreseeable future, so it's back to the POFQ for future trips (which has the same feeling, actually, as the Boardwalk). A sense of serenity, the tempo slows. But yeah, we'll be back at some point!

We had a very similar experience and had been skeptical of staying there initially because it felt less "resorty" than Y&B or others. We were surprised by how peaceful it felt. The back garden areas by the quiet pool were particularly serene. The confusing layout (lobby at top, promenade/shops/restaurants down below) made sense after staying there in that you have non-guests mostly staying at the promenade level and not going through the hotel.

We found being so close to one or two parks made it much more likely to pop into either DHS or EPCOT without much of a plan. It was a timesaver for sure and made for a more relaxing experience. It's certainly not worth the rack rate but it's deluxe by WDW standards.

UNCgolf

I appreciate everyone's input, we decided on Wilderness Lodge, and then this morning some great deals came up for Port Orleans, so we booked that one as well and are trying to decide between Wilderness and Port Orleans

I would definitely choose Boardwalk over Wilderness. The location is much better IMO -- I think Boardwalk is probably the best location of any hotel at Disney. Helps that I think Flying Fish is the best restaurant on Disney property (ate both there and California Grill this last trip; California Grill was excellent and watching the fireworks from there is tremendous, but the food at Flying Fish was still better). I also really like the style of the Boardwalk Inn. It just depends on what you're looking for, though. Location is also why I would never stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, even though I love the theming and think Boma has the best breakfast at Disney. It's just too far away from everything else and getting to any park but Animal Kingdom is a huge hassle.

I'd choose Port Orleans Riverside over Wilderness Lodge too. I love POR; I think it's the best hotel on Disney property when you factor in price. It's significantly cheaper than the deluxe resorts but it's beautiful and quiet. It never feels remotely crowded because of the way it's designed. I suppose transportation is the only issue (i.e. if you hate having to use the buses) but it has four bus stops so you never have a long walk to one, and there's a nice boat to/from Disney Springs.

Dave B

Original Poster
I would just remind you at this point that there is no guarantee you would get adjoining rooms (with a door in between). You could end up with two rooms in separate building even.
I know it is not a guarantee, but we are 3 for 3 in getting it when we have requested, so hopefully the trend will continue

Dutch Inn '76

The two resorts are very different. They're both awesome, but different. I'd pick Boardwalk for its proximity to the World Showcase - but that's me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom