Hollywood studios crash course

ELG13

Even though we are at the world almost every year, we haven't ever taken the kids to HS. It just never was appealing to us. we'd give our oldest the option and she would always pick a water park or going back to magic kingdom. With all the changes, we are planning on going in May. What do we need to know? What are your seasoned park goers must do, must eat (especially for lunch and snacks) while there? We will have a 5 and 9 yr old. I'm really excited about runaway railway. I will say neither my husband nor myself have ever seen a single scene of starwars although we were talking about watching the Maldelorian (I'm sure I butchered that spelling loll). But we do want to go to star wars land because it looks amazing. I know AK and MK like the back of my hand. I couldn't tell you the first thing about HS so any information is helpful! Or any blogs or anything you'd recommend. I'm always looking on Pinterest but I've learned from some of my first MK trips that those articles are very basic and often repeat the same things that just about anyone who's been once to MK knows already. I want the good details. The stuff it takes a few trips to figure out. Also, side question, how do fast passes at multiple park days work? We are planning HS for the majority nof the day and we have Epcot that night for dinner and I was hoping to maybe get on the frozen ride or another ride y'all might suggest ?? Thinks is the first year we are really park hoping. Thanks y'all!!

JIMINYCR

Things have changed greatly at HS. if you want to do any of the new rides youll need to get in early. RotR requires a boarding pass at this point, which guests are showing up at 5-6 am to get into the park at 7 am to get the MDE app opened for their boarding group to be booked. Maybe by May a FP+ will be available??? The Star Tours attraction is not in the same land as RotR but is very fun and they have multiple ride scenes so each time you ride it may be changed up. Mickeys runaway railway will also be a huge draw because it wll have just been opened. SDD and TSM in TSL are still big favorites. ToT and RnRC was once the big first rides guests ran to, not as much now but still attractions which get long lines. Disney changed the tier system for the FP+ which complicated things more. Decide what is your priority things to do and plan what direction you want to go in first. Muppet Vision is a fun show to sit in on. Indiana Jones stunt show is exciting and worthwhile. All the Disney sites online have updated tips and guides on how to approach DHS with the changes made. You can also view Youtube ride throughs to see more of what you will be experiencing.
Starbucks and Joffreys offer coffee. Starbucks has a shop while Joffreys has kiosks. Sci Fi dining might be a fun option for lunch with the kids. Set up as an old style drive in.
When you make your 3 FP+ choices and use them up you can then add one more at a time from then on. Some people who park hop want to make their 3 choices in the second park to ensure they get their choices in later in the day. FP+ availability does get less and less for the prime attractions as the day goes on. Look at EP and see what you really dont want to miss. Frozen remains a top priority for guests going to EP. It will get locked out before you get there in the evening.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Things have changed greatly at HS. if you want to do any of the new rides youll need to get in early. RotR requires a boarding pass at this point, which guests are showing up at 5-6 am to get into the park at 7 am to get the MDE app opened for their boarding group to be booked. Maybe by May a FP+ will be available??? The Star Tours attraction is not in the same land as RotR but is very fun and they have multiple ride scenes so each time you ride it may be changed up. Mickeys runaway railway will also be a huge draw because it wll have just been opened. SDD and TSM in TSL are still big favorites. ToT and RnRC was once the big first rides guests ran to, not as much now but still attractions which get long lines. Disney changed the tier system for the FP+ which complicated things more. Decide what is your priority things to do and plan what direction you want to go in first. Muppet Vision is a fun show to sit in on. Indiana Jones stunt show is exciting and worthwhile. All the Disney sites online have updated tips and guides on how to approach DHS with the changes made. You can also view Youtube ride throughs to see more of what you will be experiencing.
Starbucks and Joffreys offer coffee. Starbucks has a shop while Joffreys has kiosks. Sci Fi dining might be a fun option for lunch with the kids. Set up as an old style drive in.
When you make your 3 FP+ choices and use them up you can then add one more at a time from then on. Some people who park hop want to make their 3 choices in the second park to ensure they get their choices in later in the day. FP+ availability does get less and less for the prime attractions as the day goes on. Look at EP and see what you really dont want to miss. Frozen remains a top priority for guests going to EP. It will get locked out before you get there in the evening.
Awesome info!! We arent worried about the star wars rides or ToT and RnR. Slinky dog dash my 9 yr old wants to do. I'm also pregnant so pretty limited. I really want to get TSM but I know with the tiers they do now I'll be in a predicament. Maybe daughter an dad can do Slinky and me and 5 yo and my.mom can do TSM. I've never had an issue getting Frozen booked at 60 days out but I know that getting it the day of won't happen. Any other rides you'd recommend at Epcot? I know there aren't many and it's been years since I've been. I actually had an ADR for sci-fi for our last trip but cancelled and we didn't go. I thought my mom would enjoy it as well. I read some bad reviews about the food but when I've asked about it on here everyone always recommends it.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

In terms of quick service, Studios is not known for the best food but it has improved with TSL and SWGE. I like woody's lunchbox for a quick sandwich but its hard to find seating. The quick service at star wars is delicious and I highly recommend!

In terms of snacks everyone raves about the carrot cake cookie at the starbucks!

For sit down I second sci-fi for the experience and the food isn't bad. I also love fifties primetime and the food is slightly better imho.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Awesome info!! We arent worried about the star wars rides or ToT and RnR. Slinky dog dash my 9 yr old wants to do. I'm also pregnant so pretty limited. I really want to get TSM but I know with the tiers they do now I'll be in a predicament. Maybe daughter an dad can do Slinky and me and 5 yo and my.mom can do TSM. I've never had an issue getting Frozen booked at 60 days out but I know that getting it the day of won't happen. Any other rides you'd recommend at Epcot? I know there aren't many and it's been years since I've been. I actually had an ADR for sci-fi for our last trip but cancelled and we didn't go. I thought my mom would enjoy it as well. I read some bad reviews about the food but when I've asked about it on here everyone always recommends it.
The food at Sci Fi has improved, but the atmosphere of the drive in and enjoying the movie clips/ cartoons as you eat are entertaining for your kids and your enjoyment. The milkshakes there are fantastic.
A lot of people on here trash JII but I enjoy the ride through. It could and should be better but its still a fun attraction for the family. SE remains a favorite, a nice calm ride through with great visual scenes and educational moments. I love MS intense but the less intense option is available and fun for those not willing to dare it. TT is still a trhilling race around despite the change up of the queue which IMHO iasnt as good. The Seas with Nemo and Turtle Talk with Crush is great for kids. The Caballeros in Mexico is a relaxing ride through with Donald and pals.
Your limited time at EP may keep you from doing it all but theres also the Agent P game you can do with the kids, it is time consuming but fun. And get the passports so the kids can get them stamped in the Pavillions. The CM's are great to converse with in every country, get them to write a message in their native language.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
The food at Sci Fi has improved, but the atmosphere of the drive in and enjoying the movie clips/ cartoons as you eat are entertaining for your kids and your enjoyment. The milkshakes there are fantastic.
A lot of people on here trash JII but I enjoy the ride through. It could and should be better but its still a fun attraction for the family. SE remains a favorite, a nice calm ride through with great visual scenes and educational moments. I love MS intense but the less intense option is available and fun for those not willing to dare it. TT is still a trhilling race around despite the change up of the queue which IMHO iasnt as good. The Seas with Nemo and Turtle Talk with Crush is great for kids. The Caballeros in Mexico is a relaxing ride through with Donald and pals.
Your limited time at EP may keep you from doing it all but theres also the Agent P game you can do with the kids, it is time consuming but fun. And get the passports so the kids can get them stamped in the Pavillions. The CM's are great to converse with in every country, get them to write a message in their native language.
Could you break down the abbreviations you used for the rides?? I'm a total noob when it comes to Epcot and HS :)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Could you break down the abbreviations you used for the rides?? I'm a total noob when it comes to Epcot and HS :)
JII... Journey into Imagination.. the Figment ride
MS .. Mission Space
TT .. Test Track
SE.. Spaceship Earth
TSM.. Toy Story Mania
SDD.. Slinky Dog Dash
ToT.. Tower of Terror
RnRC .. Rock n Roller Coaster
TSL.. Toy story land
I believe there is an abbreviation list on WDW Magic forum help page.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Another 'gem' of a snack in my opinion, is PB&J Milkshake from Tuned in Lounge (attached to 50's Primetime)
we make a habit of getting one of those quite often.

All the way over by ToT, there is Fairfax Fare which is another great QS place to get some good eats.

Last time (which was also our first time) we had sandwiches at Woody's Lunch Box, and was a crazy, bad, madhouse experience! It was a busy day in December, but I have never seen so much chaos, line jumping, and angry people trying to have fun! :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom