News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Club Cooloholic

...which is why that policy made no sense, did it?

Disney “benefits” from word hitting the street that their high cost timshare now “holds the owners hostage”

“Have fun...or else! 😡
That said, if you are worried about there being too much competition for bookings at the 7 month mark, that should help stymie it a bit. Rentals are an issue, but honestly I tried it once(I had points I had to dump in less than 2 months) but found the process not all that easy and decided to just use RCI.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That said, if you are worried about there being too much competition for bookings at the 7 month mark, that should help stymie it a bit. Rentals are an issue, but honestly I tried it once(I had points I had to dump in less than 2 months) but found the process not all that easy and decided to just use RCI.
Rooms are sold 30 to 1 on an average size contract...

Noting will stymie the effect on the pool...and remember that it only applies to resells...they’re bullying the people that walk in and give them their money and make a commitment to buy all their other stuff...

Deterring people from questioning what they “own”

Club Cooloholic

Rooms are sold 30 to 1 on an average size contract...

Noting will stymie the effect on the pool...and remember that it only applies to resells...they’re bullying the people that walk in and give them their money and make a commitment to buy all their other stuff...

Deterring people from questioning what they “own”
Oh I don't think its right, but then again, DVC(which I bough resale) is not really something I wish Disney ever got in the game of either. We are all a captive audience, and what they do at restaurants and parks(they are saving on the lodging? Lets raise the park admission, they are coming for a week each year no matter what, so lets get the max!)reflects that. Its' DDP on steroids, why give them the best when we just have to give them adequate, they already paid for it after all.

rowrbazzle

Seems people are still buying in no matter what. I was trying to rent Dvc points for May and was told that only ssr was left.

I wouldn't expect much to be available 4 months out for studios; at that point members have had 3-7 months to make a reservation. There's plenty of availability for one-bedrooms, though. If you start looking closer to 11 than 7 months in advance you should be fine getting a studio in May.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I don't think its right, but then again, DVC(which I bough resale) is not really something I wish Disney ever got in the game of either. We are all a captive audience, and what they do at restaurants and parks(they are saving on the lodging? Lets raise the park admission, they are coming for a week each year no matter what, so lets get the max!)reflects that. Its' DDP on steroids, why give them the best when we just have to give them adequate, they already paid for it after all.
It turned when they ceased rack hotel construction - for all intents and purposes - and started add ons everywhere...and then did conversions to account for lack of rack demand...then started jacking rates to push people back into sales of DVC.

I get scoffed at all the time “Disney is a business”...

No argument...but businesses are governed by some form of the microecon curve and the consumers side is completely stupid about it here.

Disney consumers - especially wdw ones - are stupid st so many times. Like infants with credit cards...

Push back. You can’t roll with every price increase and go exactly where they point without analysis. You’re being folded up into an envelop.

It doesn’t keep them honest or earn your business...they are exploiting you. They create and then manipulate the entirety of their own consumer markets.

When they overpriced wilderness lodge rooms and torpedoed their own bookings...the correct market reaction would be to force them to adjust the prices. What did they do? Converted half to DVC and then sell it at $180 a point.

Honestly...is everyone aware of what actually happened there?

Club Cooloholic

It turned when they ceased rack hotel construction - for all intents and purposes - and started add ons everywhere...and then did conversions to account for lack of rack demand...then started jacking rates to push people back into sales if DVC.

I get scoffed at all the time “Disney is a business”...

No argument...but businesses are governed by some form of the microecon curve and the consumers side is completely stupid about it here.

Disney consumers - especially wdw ones - are stupid st so many times. Like infants with credit cards...

Push back. You can’t roll with every price increase and go exactly where they point without analysis. You’re being folded up into an envelop.

It doesn’t keep them honest or earn your business...they are exploiting you.
I liken this to sports. You are pricing out the casual consumer, then are shocked that interest in the sport is down among younger people.

nickys

Premium Member
DVC Owners leasers? Are their own worst enemies. WIth their add-ons and their "portfolios" and their attaching self worth to their point totals. They are willing to swallow anything DVD throws their way just to keep up the front. It stinks.

Just what do you have against DVC then? What’s your angle?

Everything you say about those of us who own DVC is derogatory, as if we’re all the same.

I won’t be adding on by the way. I wish I had the resources to be able to consider it, but I don’t. We bought as a way to afford to be able to come to WDW once every 3-4 years and stay in a condo-style unit onsite, with separated sleeping areas from the kid’s (now adults).

You clearly either have a grudge or are a hater for some reason. It’s fine to not see the point, or question the value, or even to hate the look of the resort. But you take things one step further and hate on the actual DVC owners, which comes across as somewhat petulant.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not saying theme doesn't matter, just that it's not the only consideration. Riviera has the Skyliner and fireworks views as its main draw, similar to BLT. WL and AKL have some of the best theming on property (and nothing can top a Savannah view at AKL), and AKL's restaurants are among the best in all of WDW, but transportation from both takes forever to get anywhere. We bought a Copper Creek because that was the resort available direct at the time and we felt there was value to the perks (which has proven true for us, but I know it's not worth it for everyone), we like the theming of the resort, the point charts were reasonable even if the points themselves were pricy, and we loved Artist Point and Whispering Canyon. (note that we are VERY unhappy with the replacement of Artist Point with a watered-down character meal, and might not have been willing to buy into CC if we'd known that was going to happen a year later.)

Ya know, it’s almost as if there were people who like different resorts for different reasons. As if liking or disliking a particular resort could just come down to individual preference, for a myriad of reasons which cannot all be easily explained to others.

What an odd concept! 😉

nickys

Premium Member
What I find interesting about this place is that even the vloggers I follow are saying it's overpriced for what you get when they went on room tours. I almost never hear that from their type.

They would likely say that about any DVC resort though. Compared with a regular resort room a DVC studio is more expensive for a non-DVC owner, which is why the rental market exists.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just what do you have against DVC then? What’s your angle?

Everything you say about those of us who own DVC is derogatory, as if we’re all the same.

I won’t be adding on by the way. I wish I had the resources to be able to consider it, but I don’t. We bought as a way to afford to be able to come to WDW once every 3-4 years and stay in a condo-style unit onsite, with separated sleeping areas from the kid’s (now adults).

You clearly either have a grudge or are a hater for some reason. It’s fine to not see the point, or question the value, or even to hate the look of the resort. But you take things one step further and hate on the actual DVC owners, which comes across as somewhat petulant.
What do I have against DVC? I’ve made that pretty clear throughout my posting history. You claim to know everything I have to say about DVC owners and yet don’t know what my problems with DVC and many of its members are? That’s odd.

fwiw. I am a DVC owner. I have the resources to add on, but would never even consider it for a second. I don’t think all DVC members are the same, I am not the same as you. For example. But I have been around long enough to know what annoys me about the membership base as a whole.

nickys

Premium Member
I was trolling around for later this year and we’ve gone back to Saratoga, DAKL, and old key west again...

Not sure if the whole riviera is online yet? That would skew the numbers

Well of course it isn’t booked out yet. I think less than half the rooms have been declared yet, and anyone who doesn’t own at Riviera can’t book it yet for Thanksgiving. Everyone who wants to stay there will have booked their home resort and be looking to switch at the 7 month mark. If they haven’t fully declared by then there will be a manic rush at that point.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah...I was looking beyond the 7 month window just out of curiousity.

What I hated to see is that all the “prime” locations seen to be booked solid. That’s depressing...the pool is too big and people are starting to go “one track” and book the home spots.

That takes away the very best feature or DVC.

People need to stop buying these...to be honest...the balance is off and this is staffing to resemble a typical high upfront timeshare sold by Char-o off the pacific princess

People book at 11 months to ensure they have a room. Then they try to switch at 7 months. If you have fairly fixed dates there isn’t an alternative these days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ya know, it’s almost as if there were people who like different resorts for different reasons. As if liking or disliking a particular resort could just come down to individual preference, for a myriad of reasons which cannot all be easily explained to others.

What an odd concept! 😉

The odd concept is denying that the fans of wdw hotels for 50 years have held theming as a priority...as a general consensus...and now dismissing that as “not important” when they now build them working them out of the approach/plans.

I understand that people have different tastes...but this still is moving the goal posts in a noticeable change

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well of course it isn’t booked out yet. I think less than half the rooms have been declared yet, and anyone who doesn’t own at Riviera can’t book it yet for Thanksgiving. Everyone who wants to stay there will have booked their home resort and be looking to switch at the 7 month mark. If they haven’t fully declared by then there will be a manic rush at that point.
I had assumed so...I was just too lazy to dig through posts to see estimates on declaration
People book at 11 months to ensure they have a room. Then they try to switch at 7 months. If you have fairly fixed dates there isn’t an alternative these days.
Yep...that’s depressing. Movement is the key advantage to the program.

nickys

Premium Member
Rentals are driving the sales market...I wish they’d kill that...It’s better for everyone

Well you know they can’t right?

First it’s explicitly allowed.
Secondly, if they kill renting then they would also kill Mom & Dad letting their son and his family use their points for a vacation. How would they distinguish between a reservation made for family and friends, and one rented out to a stranger?
Thirdly, what difference does it make if the points are used by the owner or are rented out. The rooms are booked either way. Unless of course you preferred the days when people let points expire when they couldn’t use them, meaning more room choice for everyone else?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They would likely say that about any DVC resort though. Compared with a regular resort room a DVC studio is more expensive for a non-DVC owner, which is why the rental market exists.
This I disagree with completely...the vlogger base - which is heavily comprised of those that hover around Orlando and Anaheim - always feel their access is dependent on Disney’s good graces. They tend to be “overly fair” in their reviews.

nickys

Premium Member
Seems people are still buying in no matter what. I was trying to rent Dvc points for May and was told that only ssr was left.

I don’t see the correlation. The availability problem for you is that you are within the 7 month window (depending of course when you tried to rent).

DVC works best if you can plan at least 7+ months ahead, and most people book 11 months ahead if they know they want to visit. They may try to switch at 7 months if they can.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well you know they can’t right?

First it’s explicitly allowed.
Secondly, if they kill renting then they would also kill Mom & Dad letting their son and his family use their points for a vacation. How would they distinguish between a reservation made for family and friends, and one rented out to a stranger?
Thirdly, what difference does it make if the points are used by the owner or are rented out. The rooms are booked either way. Unless of course you preferred the days when people let points expire when they couldn’t use them, meaning more room choice for everyone else?
I “wish” they would...

Though they have end run things that I think could be challenged in their contracts already. This wouldn’t happen though.

My problem is they take it out on everyone because they’re miffed at the rental market...at least this management does because they don’t have the same goals as those that started DVC.

Rentals are a negative to them because it subverts two things they care about “slightly”:
1. The sale of contracts to new potential buyers
2. The sale of rack rooms that bring in higher ancillary spending per person

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom