Fire hazard in resort hotels!

lazyboy97o

Not if the remaining space is at least 36" clear, then it is not considered to be blocking the egress and would be permitted to be left in the hall under fire code.

Most scooters are the same width or narrower than the housekeeping carts that get left in the hallways all the time, which also tells me that something of this width in the hallway wouldn't violate fire code. Now personally, I wouldn't leave the scooter in the hallway (unless I was going back into the room to get something I forgot quickly) for fear of it being stolen, but to each their own.
Nope. New hotels must have 44” clear per Florida Building Code 1020.2 and NFPA 101 28.2.3.3. Existing hotels have the 36” minimum per NFPA 101 7.3.4 & 29.2.3 but that is an absolute minimum and the actual required clearance is different in every corridor based on the maximum number of occupants. Even if the minimum clearance is still there, NFPA 101 7.1.10 prohibits “obstructions or impediments” along the means of egress.

cmwade77

Nope. New hotels must have 44” clear per Florida Building Code 1020.2 and NFPA 101 28.2.3.3. Existing hotels have the 36” minimum per NFPA 101 7.3.4 & 29.2.3 but that is an absolute minimum and the actual required clearance is different in every corridor based on the maximum number of occupants. Even if the minimum clearance is still there, NFPA 101 7.1.10 prohibits “obstructions or impediments” along the means of egress.
New hotels, but most Disney World hotels would be considered existing hotels. But again, housekeeping carts are of a similar width to ECVs and are left in the hallways all the time, including overnight, so it is entirely possible for ECVs to be left in hallways and not violate fire code, as one would assume that the housekeeping carts do not violate fire code when left in the hallways.

Sorry, but an ECV remaining in the hallway is not a fire hazard, as I said, I wouldn't do it for other reasons, but to each their own.

lazyboy97o

New hotels, but most Disney World hotels would be considered existing hotels. But again, housekeeping carts are of a similar width to ECVs and are left in the hallways all the time, including overnight, so it is entirely possible for ECVs to be left in hallways and not violate fire code, as one would assume that the housekeeping carts do not violate fire code when left in the hallways.

Sorry, but an ECV remaining in the hallway is not a fire hazard, as I said, I wouldn't do it for other reasons, but to each their own.
I literally gave you the code reference, not an assumption like you are making. The housekeeping carts, ECVs, or anything else being left in the hallways is a violation of the fire code.

cmwade77

I literally gave you the code reference, not an assumption like you are making. The housekeeping carts, ECVs, or anything else being left in the hallways is a violation of the fire code.
Again, not if there is the minimum clearance remaining, 44" for new hotels and 36" for existing.

lazyboy97o

Again, not if there is the minimum clearance remaining, 44" for new hotels and 36" for existing.
Once again, the actual minimum of each corridor is different based on the maximum number of occupants. Plenty of existing hotels were built with the 44” requirement and renovations can also trigger it being required. NFPA 101 7.1.10 just outright prohibits keeping stuff in the corridors.

Club Cooloholic

Once again, the actual minimum of each corridor is different based on the maximum number of occupants. Plenty of existing hotels were built with the 44” requirement and renovations can also trigger it being required. NFPA 101 7.1.10 just outright prohibits keeping stuff in the corridors.
Not only is it a fire code violation, but we all want the hallways to be cleaned right? How would one expect the staff to vaccum if the hallway is clogged up with vehicles?

cmwade77

Except there are exceptions when said items have wheels and are considered portable. Ultimately though it isn't up to you or me to interpret fire code and if ECVs and housekeeping is a violation, that would be up to the fire Marshall and whomever he or she designated to inspect the hotels for fire code violations. I am simply pointing out that this isn't as open and shut of a case as it seems and in reality the way I read the actual codes, ECVs and housekeeping carts would not be a violation so long as the required width remains clear, which definitely shows that it is up to interpretation.

cmwade77

Not only is it a fire code violation, but we all want the hallways to be cleaned right? How would one expect the staff to vaccum if the hallway is clogged up with vehicles?
Now this is another reason that I wouldn't personally do this, but the reality is ECVs can be put in neutral and I have seen housekeeping do so. I have also seen housekeeping knock on the door where the ECV is parked in front of. I have also seen housekeeping have bell services or security take an ECV when no one answered and leave a note on the door. So again, there are many reasons I would suggest not leaving an ECV outside the room (again if you are just going back into the room to get something you forgot or to quickly use the bathroom, that would be a different story, I am talking about leaving them longer than 30 minutes or so), but we shouldn't pretend that this is a fire hazard when it isn't. Making bad claims like this make people less likely to believe the other problems that are real issues with leaving the ECV outside the room.

lemon peeler

Original Poster
Another ECV on second floor of the BWV tonight. Called guest services to report. They said it would be removed at once. How can some people be so inconsiderate of the safety of others.

lazyboy97o

Except there are exceptions when said items have wheels and are considered portable. Ultimately though it isn't up to you or me to interpret fire code and if ECVs and housekeeping is a violation, that would be up to the fire Marshall and whomever he or she designated to inspect the hotels for fire code violations. I am simply pointing out that this isn't as open and shut of a case as it seems and in reality the way I read the actual codes, ECVs and housekeeping carts would not be a violation so long as the required width remains clear, which definitely shows that it is up to interpretation.
There are no excepts in NFPA 101 7.1.10. Unless you’ve calculated the occupant load of every corridor you cannot claim that the minimum clearance is being maintained.

Animaniac93-98

They'll just push them aside. Moving heavy objects is just part of the job, right?

It's like when you think the gym staff will just toss aside the 45 lbs plates people leave on the floor when they need to clean.

cmwade77

There are no excepts in NFPA 101 7.1.10. Unless you’ve calculated the occupant load of every corridor you cannot claim that the minimum clearance is being maintained.
As I said, that is not for us to determine, that is for the fire Marshall (or those who he or she appoints) to decide. Don't assume you or I know everything about the fire code, there is a lot more in there than you are quoting. My point is while there are other issues posed by ECVs in the hallway, it most likely not a violation of fire code.

cmwade77

They'll just push them aside. Moving heavy objects is just part of the job, right?

It's like when you think the gym staff will just toss aside the 45 lbs plates people leave on the floor when they need to clean.
Except, ECVs in neutral are super easy to move. Again, there are reasons it is a bad idea to leave ECVs in hallways, but fire code and housekeeping aren't really an issue.

And honestly while it may take some creativity, I have yet to see a room where you can't fit at least two large ECVs inside the room and still be able to love around. We fit two Maxima's (among the largest allowed on the buses) in a non ADA room at All Star Sports on our last trip. We did have to move the table and chairs to the other side of the TV and actually unpack our suitcases so they could be out up on a shelf, but there was plenty of room to move around.

So for DVC rooms, which are substantially larger (even studio rooms), you should easily be able to find enough room as well.

Again though, bringing them in isn't about fire codes or housekeeping, but rather preventing theft and damage (especially from rain in outdoor cooridors).

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

As I said, that is not for us to determine, that is for the fire Marshall (or those who he or she appoints) to decide. Don't assume you or I know everything about the fire code, there is a lot more in there than you are quoting. My point is while there are other issues posed by ECVs in the hallway, it most likely not a violation of fire code.
There is not a lot more to it. There is nothing more to 7.1.10 and it is not modified in Chapter 28 or 29. There is more to the minimum clear width which is why you cannot just claim sufficient width remains.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Except, ECVs in neutral are super easy to move. Again, there are reasons it is a bad idea to leave ECVs in hallways, but fire code and housekeeping aren't really an issue.

And honestly while it may take some creativity, I have yet to see a room where you can't fit at least two large ECVs inside the room and still be able to love around. We fit two Maxima's (among the largest allowed on the buses) in a non ADA room at All Star Sports on our last trip. We did have to move the table and chairs to the other side of the TV and actually unpack our suitcases so they could be out up on a shelf, but there was plenty of room to move around.

So for DVC rooms, which are substantially larger (even studio rooms), you should easily be able to find enough room as well.

Again though, bringing them in isn't about fire codes or housekeeping, but rather preventing theft and damage (especially from rain in outdoor cooridors).
Right, got it now. I was wondering where your vociferousness was coming from. Now I see. Carry on.

cmwade77

There is not a lot more to it. There is nothing more to 7.1.10 and it is not modified in Chapter 28 or 29. There is more to the minimum clear width which is why you cannot just claim sufficient width remains.
Are you a fire marshall in the Reedy Creek District in Florida? I know I am not; therefore, I cannot say for 100% certain.

I do know enough to understand that the housekeeping carts are left in hallways and are a similar width to ECVs. I also have seen the fire Marshall come through and not instruct Disney to move the carts and say they are not a violation of fire code. So I do know enough to know that I can't say for certain that ECVs in the hallway are not a fire code violation, but I do know enough to understand that is housekeeping carts aren't a violation, then ECVs probably aren't either. But again, I am not a fire Marshall in the Reedy Creek District in Florida nor am I the appointee of one, so I cannot say for certain.

Disstevefan1

Our 24th NYE trip in a row since buying DVC in 1995. Why are there so many animals in the resorts and parks? Dogs are smelly and dangerous to others.

And the scooters? Don't people know that parking scooters in the hallway at the resort is a fire hazard? Just in my short section of BWV hallway there were five scooters parked. No, not along the wall but right in the middle of the hallway. I mentioned it to the front desk, CM said it was not allowed but it continued for the 8 nights. This is not a post against the disabled but a post against the very few posing hazards to the rest of us.

Decided to forget the parks and spend the days at the BWV quiet pool, a real gem. Considering whether or not to continue DVC ownership.

Wow! 24th NYE trip in a row since buying DVC in 1995! Well if you decide to sell your DVC you sure got your money's worth!

DVC4bestvacations

1499320F-EB4D-41EE-80B5-23872EAAFAF9.jpeg

One scooter is too many parked like this. During the handful of times my wife required a scooter we always kept it in the room.

lazyboy97o

Are you a fire marshall in the Reedy Creek District in Florida? I know I am not; therefore, I cannot say for 100% certain.

I do know enough to understand that the housekeeping carts are left in hallways and are a similar width to ECVs. I also have seen the fire Marshall come through and not instruct Disney to move the carts and say they are not a violation of fire code. So I do know enough to know that I can't say for certain that ECVs in the hallway are not a fire code violation, but I do know enough to understand that is housekeeping carts aren't a violation, then ECVs probably aren't either. But again, I am not a fire Marshall in the Reedy Creek District in Florida nor am I the appointee of one, so I cannot say for certain.
Or you could just admit you thought you found a way to allow them and were wrong. The code is all right there in rather plain language.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom