Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

RobotWolf

it's totally possible that Fog in RotR would cause more headaches than it's worth

That's literally my point. It is also a heath risk. The last show I did for them had a ton of ln2 and co2 and the cast had to be briefed on how to react in emergencies. And it had a big air-handling system and automatic doors directly to the outside.

yensidtlaw1969

That's literally my point. It is also a heath risk. The last show I did for them had a ton of ln2 and co2 and the cast had to be briefed on how to react in emergencies. And it had a big air-handling system and automatic doors directly to the outside.
Oh sure - I didn't mean to seem like I was refuting you directly or specifically, I just wanted to add the additional problems Fog, Smoke, Haze, etc can add within an already effects-laden attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wrote this a few weeks back

Better physical effects would certainly have helped elevate the attraction even higher. Star Wars was the movie that brought pew pew laser beam battles to the masses. Perhaps they should have gone for broke and accepted they can’t make a beam travel, so resort to split second standard beams of laser light. More so if projected from the target to the pretend source for added effect (the beam hitting a scrim would be most effective as an additional visual effect of a rifle firing). Hazing a room (particularly the hanger) would produce a good effect. Having selective, well placed Ln2 jets could suggest a traveling beam. And spark effects for high volume impact. Speaking of Ln2, where’s the smoke and physical flames as you look for an escape pod? Flashing lights don’t exactly convey looming disaster. Since this ride is a collection of every good dark ride ever made and all put into a mixing pot it’s a bit of a missed opportunity that the best available visual effects weren’t thrown into the mix too.

(I’ve already praised the attraction elsewhere lest I be accused of bah humbug)

Chet Dakota

Hey Marni, if this demand keeps up, do you think there is any chance that they build a second “studio” for this ride (like they did for Soarin and TSM), or do they just build new attractions in a Phase II? Seems like building new attractions is a gamble that they will be as good or popular as Rise.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey Marni, if this demand keeps up, do you think there is any chance that they build a second “studio” for this ride (like they did for Soarin and TSM), or do they just build new attractions in a Phase II? Seems like building new attractions is a gamble that they will be as good or popular as Rise.
I doubt we’d see a replication. Given the cost it makes more business sense to have something new to market. I’d only hope if we do see another attraction (of which I have no knowledge of) it would have high capacity.

TrainsOfDisney

They shoot cryo directly at and into the audience at it’s tough to be a bug. It’s not a health risk when done properly.

tribbleorlfl

Well, after getting to ride it for the first time yesterday, I can safely say it's the best ride I've ever been on (and that includes my beloved Horizons). It was so much fun, and I don't think they could have captured being "in" Star Wars any better.

Big props to the CMs who totally sold their roles. You could tell they were having a blast bossing guests around!

On a related note, my son is a huge nerd (like his father before him!) and didn't want any ride spoilers, but is also very sensitive and can have severe panic attacks. As such, he typically doesn't go on rides with drops or moderate thrill elements. I was concerned if I had told him about the escape pod sequence in advance, he would have either been wracked with nervousness and anticipation for the end he wouldn't have enjoyed the ride up to that point, or psyched himself up so much we wouldn't go on it all. Does that make me a bad dad for not telling him about it before we rode?

gerarar

Premium Member
Well, after getting to ride it for the first time yesterday, I can safely say it's the best ride I've ever been on (and that includes my beloved Horizons). It was so much fun, and I don't think they could have captured being "in" Star Wars any better.

Big props to the CMs who totally sold their roles. You could tell they were having a blast bossing guests around!

On a related note, my son is a huge nerd (like his father before him!) and didn't want any ride spoilers, but is also very sensitive and can have severe panic attacks. As such, he typically doesn't go on rides with drops or moderate thrill elements. I was concerned if I had told him about the escape pod sequence in advance, he would have either been wracked with nervousness and anticipation for the end he wouldn't have enjoyed the ride up to that point, or psyched himself up so much we wouldn't go on it all. Does that make me a bad dad for not telling him about it before we rode?
I was sort of in the same situation. My mom does not like any ride with any type of intense drop. Pirates is her limit, and the drop there is very minimal. I was contemplating on how to describe the ROTR drop to her because I really do want her to give it a try, but not scare her away at the same time.

In the end I was able to convince her to ride it, and she loved it a lot! She described the drop as brief, but fun! I only then told her afterwards that it's a 20+ foot drop elevator (thanks to the Imagineering documentary) and she couldn't believe me.

I always say try something first before passing judgement, but it's ultimately up to the person to make the choice.

disneygeek90

CA54A236-C863-40EA-AED6-638AE9C3762B.jpeg
Last one out of the room this morning 😍

disneyREINA

Since smugglers run has a thread I though rise of the Resistance deserves one of its own.
Hi
sorry if this question has been answered but I’m trying to get a quick response since I’m running around at work I can’t read the forums...

Is it still required to show up at 7am for the boarding groups in order to ride for the day? We’re going last week of March so I wasn’t sure What the deal will be by then. If we get there at 9/10 will that be too late?
Is there a child swap deal also like the other rides?

is one person allowed to walk through with everyone’s bands and put the group on the list together or does every person riding need to be there?

thanks!!!!

disneygeek90

Hi
sorry if this question has been answered but I’m trying to get a quick response since I’m running around at work I can’t read the forums...

Is it still required to show up at 7am for the boarding groups in order to ride for the day? We’re going last week of March so I wasn’t sure What the deal will be by then. If we get there at 9/10 will that be too late?
Is there a child swap deal also like the other rides?

is one person allowed to walk through with everyone’s bands and put the group on the list together or does every person riding need to be there?

thanks!!!!
There’s a thread specifically about boarding groups, but it’s too soon to tell what the demand will be like then. This week groups were gone under 30 mins after the posted park open, but other days a couple weeks back outside of the holidays groups were available until late morning. Keep an eye on that thread as you get closer.

Everyone must scan in on their own. There is a child swap but both adults need a boarding group.

DDLand

What a fascinating attraction. It was at times spectacular and amazing. It’s easily one of the most impressive attractions Walt Disney Imagineering has ever created. Bob Chapek described it as the most “ambitious” attraction ever crafted for a Disney Park. I would be inclined to agree. What this ride intended to do was nothing short of mind-blowing. Yet the ride was not without its shortcomings.

The ride shines in its technological prowess. It was a marvel to see what these Imagineers crafted. The opening show was very neat. Very very clever. The unusual boarding system and scope was exciting. I feel that the use of the trackless ride system was well justified in Rise of the Resistance. There was always some cool new trick that was in the wings waiting to wow the audience.

Another strength of Rise of the Resistance is its scale. While the rooms were not the cavernous spaces of Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure, the ride’s length was remarkable. It kept going and going and deploying more and more surprises. The ride felt like it began when we went outdoors to load onto the spacecraft. The experience never stopped until I was “back.”

The attraction also successfully surprised me several times. It was willing to do things that I was not expecting to happen. It felt exciting and unpredictable. If this attraction was supposed to be “ambitious,” it lived up to its creator’s intent. This was in part because of the trackless ride system. It felt like anything was possible.

I also think the visual storytelling deserves some mention. The queue in particular was very cleverly done. There are several tricks that they use to convey some themes. Notice the Resistance is closely connected to natural surroundings. Its base is an extension of nature and life. It also is built on ruins of some old structure, representing the connection the Resistance has to the past. Our journey to the Resistance base takes us literally underground. Contrast this with the First Order, which is lifeless and cold. It’s new and technology obsessed. The Star Destroyer is distant and disconnected from the planet and its inhabitants.

Some people have brought up compelling criticisms or suggestions for the ride. Namely, my few pages of scanning manifested calls for more practical effects. I also saw multiple mentions of the Star Destroyer’s “plastic” feel. That was a definite issue that I noticed myself. Other issues with screens and figures can be hashed out. Ultimately, they got much more right than they did wrong in terms of execution.

My biggest issues with this attraction were somewhat surprising to me. First, the environments of this ride are some of the most visually unappealing and uninteresting ever created for an E-Ticket. From the cartoon whimsy of Splash Mountain, the majestic beauty of the Forbidden Mountain, to the spooky elegance of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, most every E-Ticket has visual appeal. The same cannot be said for this attraction. Its utilitarian spaces provide little color or variety. Never has Walt Disney Imagineering spent so much on something so ugly. Flight of Passage, Radiator Springs Racers, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure feature some of the most beautiful images I’ve ever seen. This is a weird one-off.

The tone also felt unnecessarily heavy. There was none of the Star Wars humor or upbeatness. Instead, we were being hunted by a masked mass-murderer. This may be a preference thing, but it was surprisingly without heart. They wanted you to know this was SERIOUS and life or death. If this is an attraction where we are supposed to “play,” where was the joy?

Additionally, certain story beats were just off. Kylo Ren’s reveal in the interrogation room was premature. He is this attraction’s yeti. He walks in and uses the force briefly before “being needed on the bridge.” A more elegant and ominous way of handling that same scene would be to say something to the effect of “Kylo Ren will be down shortly.” Then being left in the dark right before being rescued. Our first sighting of Kylo should have been more impactful.

This attraction blurred the boundaries between theme park and reality. The effects and ride system proved astonishing. Certain moments were incredible and exciting. I specifically avoided spoilers, and I’m glad I did. While I had heard a trickle of rumors since 2015, I still found myself surprised. The “shock value” was great.

With incredible special effects and ride system, this ride will be successful for years to come. What I’m less certain about is whether this ride was the right approach. With a dull setting and little character, there is neither depth to the story or beauty. Much like the blockbusters of today, it’s a visual spectacle rather than emotional journey or art piece. It felt like a successful engineering feat rather than a successful artistic or storytelling one. Walt Disney Imagineering proved that it can transport its guests to another world, but that’s different from telling a great story. I’m not sure if I ascribe to the Trowbridge school of Imagineering. As Joe Rohde opined “Total illusion is deception... Audiences take joy in the fact that artists have created something seemingly real, like a puppet. Immersion is a form of play. Play only exists if we know that we can step out of the game... Both the imagination and the engineering are meant to be appreciated simultaneously.” I’m not sure the right balance was struck on Rise of the Resistance.

But say what you will about it, it’s unforgettable. Unlike its DOA sibling Smuggler’s Run, it’s exciting. It’s also very “ambitious...”

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think it is exactly what people expect from a First Order/Empire type of atmosphere, so I think it succeeds on that level. The tension in the atmosphere when you arrive on the star destroyer is great since you know it's not real, but you get this feeling you're in a much different place than you just left. The difference is extreme and really takes you by surprise.

Dad 2 M & M

thanks!!!!
One person can scan for everyone to create the Boarding Group, but everyone must have already scanned into the Park.

Again, everyone must already be scanned into the Park.....no leaving everyone at the Resort and one person coming to the Park

Here is the screen you'll receive on the app if everyone is not scanned into the Park

IMG_9353.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom