Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s what happens when you try to cater to people like that in the first place. Eventually they always eat their own. Just ask J.K. Rowling.

It was always a miscalculation to try and make Star Wars more than it was: a story that just was told that held the audience attention....they overcomplicated it

George tried to guarantee the toy machine. But that was having the egg make the chickens...
The toy machine was because of the movies relatability...not the other way around

Disney tried to “expand the audience”...when the audience would watch no matter what the characters looked like IF they were good stories people could think of themselves as - if only for a second. The conflict was the reason...not who swung the saber

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

So, the leaks show that "Disney" and JJ were at odds over plot points. So, blame Disney.

But JJ always was on board with Kylo/Ben dying and fans are going ballistic over it. So, blame JJ.

Would love to see what kind of movie would have been made if "the fans" decided everything.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Would love to see what kind of movie would have been made if "the fans" decided everything.

Wouldn't have been close to TLJ. And at least Abrams would have had a full cupboard to work with.

Kylo/Ben dying and fans are going ballistic over it. So, blame JJ.

Those are the RJ fans going ballistic. Nobody wanted Kenobi to die. Heck at the end of RotJ I think a lot of people didn't want Vader to die. Ben/Ren dying is fine as long as it fits the story. The only one we did want to die - was Palps. And he lived. Go figure. He's probably still alive and will be in X.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, the leaks show that "Disney" and JJ were at odds over plot points. So, blame Disney.

But JJ always was on board with Kylo/Ben dying and fans are going ballistic over it. So, blame JJ.

I actually agree with you...

Fans can’t make a movie... and I blame abrams AND Disney....

And it turns out...the Star Wars fandom is hard to deal with - who knew?

But If you want the truth about disney...read Michael Arndt’s second response in the article below...and put the puzzle pieces together:

Mike S

The fans going ballistic over Ben aren’t tied to anyone that really matters in the overall conversation. Anyone with sense knew he wouldn’t live to get a full redemption. That’s not how characters like his work. They have to die.

erasure fan1

Who exactly?

There’s a 25 year gap between this shows events and the start of the sequels.
I'd bet we see Chewbacca. Jonas doesn't command a big price and everyone loves the character. The droids are a good bet too. As we know, Anthony doesn't say no to playing 3po very often.
Iron Man always had a longer line than Hyperspace Mountain when I was at HKDL.

Disney keeps pushing, but the locals don't care.
It reminds me of Microsoft. News flash, no one in Japan is buying an xbox as long as long as sony and nintendo are making consoles.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fans going ballistic over Ben aren’t tied to anyone that really matters in the overall conversation. Anyone with sense knew he wouldn’t live to get a full redemption. That’s not how characters like his work. They have to die.

Yeah...it’s not like there was similar character in the OT in a mask😳

By the way...what lengths did they go to use masks again?

tk924

OK, I'm going to jump in with my 2 cents worth.
I guess all the leaks were intentional and matched up for the most part. I can't think of one that I read that wasn't true. That being said, I've read an in depth description on Reddit of what happened and the movie that JJ had put together wasn't the movie that we saw. Take this for what you will but I believe this info. Read it if you want. Believe it or not. It's up to you.
Disney really, really mucked this up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess all the leaks were intentional and matched up for the most part. I can't think of one that I read that wasn't true. That being said, I've read an in depth description on Reddit of what happened and the movie that JJ had put together wasn't the movie that we saw. Take this for what you will but I believe this info. Read it if you want. Believe it or not. It's up to you.
Where the hell have you been?

socalifornian

Nice I was going to post this too. I believe it. There’s a hierarchy of cuts in Hollywood and the directors cut is never on top whether it be tv or film. Now I want to see it

drod1985

WB wants Abrams for some DC projects. My source said that this generation’s Star Wars is the MCU, and Marvel’s biggest threat is a well operational DC. They want to keep DC in the limbo that they’re in right now. Abrams jumpstarting that franchise with something like a successful, audience-pleasing Superman movie makes them nervous. Their goal is to make JJ look bad to potential investors/shareholders.

So Disney intentionally sabotaged a film in their own franchise in order to potentially sabotage the MCU's obviously weaker competitor? Come on. That blows the credibility of this post out of the water.

On top of that, the most accurate leaker (basically entirely accurate) for TROS said he's heard nothing to verify these claims. The movie obviously suffered from changes in the production and post production phases, but this big made up narrative just doesn't sound plausible.

erasure fan1

I think a lot of what was posted makes sense. Your last sentence is the best way to sum this all up. No matter what the truth is, Disney mucked it up. What should have been a slam dunk, turned into a clank off of the back of the rim. I just hope Disney learns something from all this.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So Disney intentionally sabotaged a film in their own franchise in order to potentially sabotage the MCU's obviously weaker competitor? Come on. That blows the credibility of this post out of the water.

On top of that, the most accurate leaker (basically entirely accurate) for TROS said he's heard nothing to verify these claims. The movie obviously suffered from changes in the production and post production phases, but this big made up narrative just doesn't sound plausible.

I do think though that there were "warring factions" between the Abrams camp and the Lucasfilm story group (who were firmly in the Johnson/TLJ camp). I agree it would not make sense for Disney to do this, and I don't think they did. But for a group of Lucasfilm people (like Pablo Hidalgo) though...yeah completely plausible. Somebody leaked the script, and I just don't buy that Boyega forgot it under a hotel bed.

Last edited:

tk924

I think a lot of what was posted makes sense. Your last sentence is the best way to sum this all up. No matter what the truth is, Disney mucked it up. What should have been a slam dunk, turned into a clank off of the back of the rim. I just hope Disney learns something from all this.
And what really makes me angry is that Disney is capable of producing good SW content. Just look at Rogue One and The Mandalorian. Fantastic characters and stories, IMHO. Just leave out the SJW crap and let the content creators create, Disney!

Wendy Pleakley

It would have had familiar elements Star Wars fans know and love, but not be too familiar, like The Force Awakens was. It would take things in a different direction, but not too far like The Last Jedi did. It would have found the perfect middle ground that would have pleased everyone!

It would have adhered to George Lucas's original vision, but not midi-chloridians or Gunguns, nobody liked those. It would have cute aliens that look ready made for the toy shelf, like Baby Yoda. But not Ewoks, those were just a cash grab.

It wouldn't have introduced new force abilities like projecting oneself across the galaxy. It wasn't seen before so it can't possibly be a Jedi power. Also, there would be new Jedi powers because how boring would it be if we've already seen it all?

Rey would be a good Jedi, but not so much that she's a Mary Sue. It's only okay for male action heroes like John Wick or Ethan Hunt to be perfect. Likewise for Luke. He wouldn't have gone into exile because he's an infallible hero (just don't call him a Mary Sue).

The movie wouldn't have relied on fan service. Also, the original cast would have had scenes together, even if it didn't fit the story. It would be just the right amount of fan service.

Luke drinking milk from a space cow ruined Star Wars, so that would be replaced with scenes of him collecting rain water in a bucket.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It would have had familiar elements Star Wars fans know and love, but not be too familiar, like The Force Awakens was. It would take things in a different direction, but not too far like The Last Jedi did. It would have found the perfect middle ground that would have pleased everyone!

It would have adhered to George Lucas's original vision, but not midi-chloridians or Gunguns, nobody liked those. It would have cute aliens that look ready made for the toy shelf, like Baby Yoda. But not Ewoks, those were just a cash grab.

It wouldn't have introduced new force abilities like projecting oneself across the galaxy. It wasn't seen before so it can't possibly be a Jedi power. Also, there would be new Jedi powers because how boring would it be if we've already seen it all?

Rey would be a good Jedi, but not so much that she's a Mary Sue. It's only okay for male action heroes like John Wick or Ethan Hunt to be perfect. Likewise for Luke. He wouldn't have gone into exile because he's an infallible hero (just don't call him a Mary Sue).

The movie wouldn't have relied on fan service. Also, the original cast would have had scenes together, even if it didn't fit the story. It would be just the right amount of fan service.

Luke drinking milk from a space cow ruined Star Wars, so that would be replaced with scenes of him collecting rain water in a bucket.

I give you full credit, Wendy...and Penguin...for wading into what has become an echo chamber here based on the outcome of this movie and it’s dropping financials and offering some other ideas/remarks.

It’s very welcome...the “hate” machine needs a stop light in its path as well....

And...big and...I don’t see Kamikaze or Irish Bruh. Around to justify their nasty, patronizing shouting down of everyone who didn’t laud Disney two years ago?
No where to be found...yellow stripe is very visible though....

But...but...

What was “unfamiliar” about 7? That was as Blatant a reboot as you’ll see. A direct swap for swap of characters in the same story with cameos of old friends is “not too familiar”??

I think 7 is just as big of a problem as 8 or 9...and I said it probably 2 days after I saw it...
The events since have gone Almost as BADLY as anyone could predict for Star Wars product with the Disney name behind it....

As excellently pointed out prior: justice league was a financially successful film that warner brothers considered a disaster and fired the studio heads for...
I don’t think it’s a stetch at all to look at the decline of Star Wars revenues the same way...

Looking at 37% down to as much as 15% down in installments....and the flop of a movie who’s stars were lando, chewie, Han and the Falcon...
And that movie made more sense than what’s in theaters now...if we’re honest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom