Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

disneygeek90

Very confused. The three 'ships' are on a turntable. The opposite door faces the center of the turntable. There is no exiting through that.

The person was confused and got 'turned around.' The pod is basically symmetrical with a viewport/screen at each end... I can see it happening.
Okay, that's what I thought! If that was an option it would be kinda lame compared to the effect we have now.

gerarar

Premium Member
On my second ride through, I was busy inspecting the detailing of "that" (fake) door during the whole preshow and capture, and it's nearly identical to the real one that opens. Even the back rubbering on the doorframes matches. The only thing missing are footprint outlines in the black floor leading out since it was rainy that day.

It's very awesome and funny to see people expecting to see that (fake) door open, aka gather around and try to be first! But to their surprise the other door they entered through opens and a first order personal waltz in and demanding us to disembark the ship.....NOW!!

DLR>WDW

Watched the movie last night. Best of the last 3, maybe in top 5. One problem I had is watching them run through the halls of the star destroyer and I started thinking about the ride instead of the movie.
Agreed! Plus in the Force Awakens, the interrogation room that Poe is held in is a near replica of the one in ROTR.
tumblr_inline_ozbncrW1PX1qlmk4v_540.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
On my second ride through, I was busy inspecting the detailing of "that" (fake) door during the whole preshow and capture, and it's nearly identical to the real one that opens. Even the back rubbering on the doorframes matches. The only thing missing are footprint outlines in the black floor leading out since it was rainy that day.

It's very awesome and funny to see people expecting to see that (fake) door open, aka gather around and try to be first! But to their surprise the other door they entered through opens and a first order personal waltz in and demanding us to disembark the ship.....NOW!!

Agreed, it works well in my opinion to distract the guests expecting it and also gives a bit of an inside nod to previous attractions that "moved" but you exited the other side so you could guess that you haven't really moved at all (MIB being the most egregious IMO)

tower44

I will be in WDW soon and am plotting when to get up early and do this ride. My first chance would be Sunday, Jan. 12, the day of the marathon. I will be staying in MK area, and it appears it will be difficult to travel between 5 and 9 a.m. due to road closures. Does anyone with experience of marathon weekends have any advice here? I will have some weekdays later in the week as well so those are probably better bets but I’m not sure I will be able to contain myself...

TrainsOfDisney

I got to ride twice on my recent trip. I really liked it. I’m not sure if it beats out Indy and Spider-Man but it’s definitely in their league and that’s saying a lot. My biggest “complaint” is the lack of physical effects like fire, cryo, fog, etc. for example - if the at-at room was filled with haze and you saw real lasers shooting around you and real sparks were coming out of the ground and walls around you that would be insane and “totally immersive” - instead we see projections of sparks.

I also think about how great the pre-show experience used to be at tower and rock-n-rollercoaster and how now it’s just “meh” - how will this experience be in 4 years?

But for now, it’s an amazing experience for sure.

gerarar

Premium Member
My biggest “complaint” is the lack of physical effects like fire, cryo, fog, etc. for example - if the at-at room was filled with haze and you saw real lasers shooting around you and real sparks were coming out of the ground and walls around you that would be insane and “totally immersive” - instead we see projections of sparks.
Totally agree, it's really lacking in physical effects. Some they get away with because it's far away, like the blaster hits on the wall after AT-AT room, and you barely see it, but some it's really obvious.

For example after the cannon room, the wall gets blown off on the right. Instead of fog/smoke on top of the broken wall to simulate the damages, there's a projection of smoke.

In the AT-AT room, there are physical effects on the boxes, as they get hit. However on the legs of the AT-AT, it's just projections which is really obvious since you're right next to it. There are also laser projections of sparks falling (I think this is what you were referring to?) on the AT-AT legs as you get in the elevator and go up. Obviously this is more convincing than straight up projections, however it just stops halfway and never reaches the ground, bc reasons..

The last encounter with Kylo could be improved tremendously if they add some smoke/fog after the Star Destroyer gets hit to partially hide Kylo and the falling wall piece.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I got to ride twice on my recent trip. I really liked it. I’m not sure if it beats out Indy and Spider-Man but it’s definitely in their league and that’s saying a lot. My biggest “complaint” is the lack of physical effects like fire, cryo, fog, etc. for example - if the at-at room was filled with haze and you saw real lasers shooting around you and real sparks were coming out of the ground and walls around you that would be insane and “totally immersive” - instead we see projections of sparks.

I also think about how great the pre-show experience used to be at tower and rock-n-rollercoaster and how now it’s just “meh” - how will this experience be in 4 years?

But for now, it’s an amazing experience for sure.
Real lasers would just look like a beam of light, not the effect you see in the movies. It would look more like Illuminations had been moved indoors :D

TrainsOfDisney

Real lasers would just look like a beam of light, not the effect you see in the movies. It would look more like Illuminations had been moved indoors :D

I get what you’re saying but the projection mapping doesn’t look like the effect I see in the movies either.

Real lasers “firing” around you would be very effective in my opinion, especially connected with sparks, cryo, etc.

Rob562

I will be in WDW soon and am plotting when to get up early and do this ride. My first chance would be Sunday, Jan. 12, the day of the marathon. I will be staying in MK area, and it appears it will be difficult to travel between 5 and 9 a.m. due to road closures. Does anyone with experience of marathon weekends have any advice here? I will have some weekdays later in the week as well so those are probably better bets but I’m not sure I will be able to contain myself...

I can't speak to transportation issues during the Marathon, but going by online crowd calendars, that Sunday will be a good day for Studios crowds, with the following Tues and Wed being excellent days.

-Rob

TrainsOfDisney

The last encounter with Kylo could be improved tremendously if they add some smoke/fog after the Star Destroyer gets hit to partially hide Kylo and the falling wall piece.

Excuse me imagineering? Can we get some cryo in Kylo ASAP? Thanks. :p

Yesssssss you’re totally right. That scene desperately needs something. The end is really really weird. The first time I rode through I thought something was malfunctioning and that wasn’t what it was really supposed to look like.

RobotWolf

The problem might be that if you add a lot of carbon dioxide or nitrogen to enclosed space...often, you would need to cycle in fresh air just as frequently. There is a lot of wind in that scene. But I'd be surprised if they're connected to an external exhaust.

yensidtlaw1969

The problem might be that if you add a lot of carbon dioxide or nitrogen to enclosed space...often, you would need to cycle in fresh air just as frequently. There is a lot of wind in that scene. But I'd be surprised if they're connected to an external exhaust.
I think most likely is the issue that the scenes are on rotation quite frequently - while there are styles of fog and CO2 that dissipate quickly, you would run the risk that the next vehicle enters the scene before it's entirely disappeared which would spoil what's about to happen before it happens.

Compare to, say, Pirates, which can affort to risk something lingering because all the action is circular anyway. If a Pirate's canon is still smoking when you first approach it, it's because you know they've been firing for a while. Unlike Rise, which is designed in a linear fashion and proposes that all of the action is happening for the first and only time just to you.

Not to mention that Projection Effects and Fog/Smoke do not always agree with each other . . . think of all the projector beams and light sources you risk revealing undesirably by letting smoke into a room. Part of why you've never seen actual Fog inside the Haunted Mansion where it would be so fitting - a stray gust would also spoil some of the effects. And airflow is more difficult to control than anyone would like, especially when it's visible in the form of smoke.

I'm not saying it couldn't have been done or that it wouldn't have been nice, but it's totally possible that Fog in RotR would cause more headaches than it's worth just by virtue of the way everything else in the ride is achieved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom