Has RotR changed riders' minds about Galactic Starcruiser?

GladToBeHear

Not to get too off-topic, but do any of the insiders know anything about a more standard SW hotel resort in the future? I would be way more interested in that for my family (on a budget). Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Hank Hill

Wow, I am just so surprised at how vicious people are being about this concept. Rarely is there a thread or complaint online about how much "cringe acting" the CM's provide, in or out of the park. Mostly people seem pretty happy, if not in love with their interactions with characters. Even with SW, the stormtroopers before, and the GE CM's do a good job of building the world, and most agree with that from what I have read. Yet this hotel isn't even open, and already people are saying the acting is going to be cringe and bad. So I decided to make up a scenario based on nothing too; I think all the people who hate this concept are just mad because they don't think they can afford it and want to tear it down because they are jealous. LOL.

Time will of course tell, I could be wrong and it will not work. But I think this has some potential to be a great experience and I think Disney can make it work. It seems silly to be so nit picky about things like acting, or even cost yet. We don't even have enough information to say what exactly will be going on for those 2 days people will be there.

Mickeyboof

Wow, I am just so surprised at how vicious people are being about this concept. Rarely is there a thread or complaint online about how much "cringe acting" the CM's provide, in or out of the park. Mostly people seem pretty happy, if not in love with their interactions with characters. Even with SW, the stormtroopers before, and the GE CM's do a good job of building the world, and most agree with that from what I have read. Yet this hotel isn't even open, and already people are saying the acting is going to be cringe and bad. So I decided to make up a scenario based on nothing too; I think all the people who hate this concept are just mad because they don't think they can afford it and want to tear it down because they are jealous. LOL.

Time will of course tell, I could be wrong and it will not work. But I think this has some potential to be a great experience and I think Disney can make it work. It seems silly to be so nit picky about things like acting, or even cost yet. We don't even have enough information to say what exactly will be going on for those 2 days people will be there.

Well good morning. I believe you’re talking about my posts!

At the current estimate, I can afford the hotel, and I’m probably dumb enough to book a stay.

If anyone thinks the CMs at the popcorn stand in Galaxy’s Edge are good at storytelling and performance, then they haven’t really experienced trained actors, especially those well adapted to immersive theatre.

It takes skill beyond saying triggered catch phrases like “bright suns” or “what weird round antennas you’re wearing!”

Listen, we are in a bad place right now. We are in a era where the guy in charge doesn’t value what makes Disney, Disney.

I’m not nitpicking. I’m honestly just nervous that this possibly amazing experience is just going to be a bad one BECAUSE Chapek would rather hire normal CMs instead of actors who you’d see in a Star Wars epic. Chapek cut all the life from Galaxy’s Edge, and almost every actor he could. History repeats itself time after time.

I mean, the new hotel has beds collapsing on people. These are $$$$$$$ rooms. Thats the new Disney Standard.

More. For. Less.

Hank Hill

Well good morning. I believe you’re talking about my posts!

At the current estimate, I can afford the hotel, and I’m probably dumb enough to book a stay.

If anyone thinks the CMs at the popcorn stand in Galaxy’s Edge are good at storytelling and performance, then they haven’t really experienced trained actors, especially those well adapted to immersive theatre.

It takes skill beyond saying triggered catch phrases like “bright suns” or “what weird round antennas you’re wearing!”

Listen, we are in a bad place right now. We are in a era where the guy in charge doesn’t value what makes Disney, Disney.

I’m not nitpicking. I’m honestly just nervous that this possibly amazing experience is just going to be a bad one BECAUSE Chapek would rather hire normal CMs instead of actors who you’d see in a Star Wars epic. Chapek cut all the life from Galaxy’s Edge, and almost every actor he could. History repeats itself time after time.

I mean, the new hotel has beds collapsing on people. These are $$$$$$$ rooms. Thats the new Disney Standard.

More. For. Less.
I tried added an "LOL" to say I'm not picking on anyone. It's not personal. It's not just this forum, lots of talk online seems to be ready to blast this before it opens. Seems like people have made up their minds already with so little known. I am willing to keep an open mind. I actually like this idea. Since moving to Orlando, I have no desire to stay at a resort. I'd rather be in my own bed than to pay to stay in a bed others use. But this idea seems fun and may be something I will try.

Despite what you, other, and I may think about the direction of the quality at Disney, by and large, attendance and profit keeps increasing year to year, for both the parks and resorts. it might seem the new normal, but even a greased pig gets caught once in a while. Just hope the hotel is as good as I hope it will be.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I like when Lurkers come on here to complain about people being negative

Hank Hill

I like when Lurkers come on here to complain about people being negative
I like you added nothing to the conversation to also complain but feel justified because you make more posts. Pretty much seems you are just here to get into online arguments. Good on you and thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to avoid you from here on out.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

I think what is causing people to be jaded is that SW:GE cast members are being paid regular CM wages while being expected to “immerse” guests in the land. This should be the job of trained performers, and that was the original plan until Chapek slashed budgets. Disney CMs are terrific at what they do, but smiling at you while you buy your food and saying “Bright Suns” is not immersion. It’s just customer service.

Ravenclaw78

I think what is causing people to be jaded is that SW:GE cast members are being paid regular CM wages while being expected to “immerse” guests in the land. This should be the job of trained performers, and that was the original plan until Chapek slashed budgets. Disney CMs are terrific at what they do, but smiling at you while you buy your food and saying “Bright Suns” is not immersion. It’s just customer service.
I think it's fair to say that the criticisms fall into a few distinct categories:

• "I don't understand the concept and/or I don't believe the target market actually exists."
  • "I desperately want to experience this but can't afford it, so I'm going to jealously whine about it and root for it to be a big enough failure that they reduce the prices to a level I can afford."
  • "I wanted a regular hotel with Star Wars theming, not a 'starcruiser', and I'm going to keep complaining about not getting it until I convince Disney to tear it down and rebuild it the way I wanted it."
  • "I hate what Disney has done with the Sequel Trilogy and I'm going to keep badmouthing everything Star Wars until they start pretending that the Original Trilogy is the only Star Wars that ever existed."
  • "I'm frustrated and disillusioned with how Disney cut budgets and failed to deliver on many elements of Galaxy's Edge, and I don't trust them to follow through on their promises for Galactic Starcruiser." (FWIW, I think this one's an entirely valid, if perhaps premature, criticism. Though I wouldn't place all the blame on Chapek - this doesn't happen in a vacuum, decisions like that are merely symptoms of a misguided corporate culture among Disney executives as a whole, and Chapek's just the most visible target.)

And last but not least, "Why isn't there a pool?"

bryanfze55

I think it's fair to say that the criticisms fall into a few distinct categories:

• "I don't understand the concept and/or I don't believe the target market actually exists."
  • "I desperately want to experience this but can't afford it, so I'm going to jealously whine about it and root for it to be a big enough failure that they reduce the prices to a level I can afford."
  • "I wanted a regular hotel with Star Wars theming, not a 'starcruiser', and I'm going to keep complaining about not getting it until I convince Disney to tear it down and rebuild it the way I wanted it."
  • "I hate what Disney has done with the Sequel Trilogy and I'm going to keep badmouthing everything Star Wars until they start pretending that the Original Trilogy is the only Star Wars that ever existed."
  • "I'm frustrated and disillusioned with how Disney cut budgets and failed to deliver on many elements of Galaxy's Edge, and I don't trust them to follow through on their promises for Galactic Starcruiser." (FWIW, I think this one's an entirely valid, if perhaps premature, criticism. Though I wouldn't place all the blame on Chapek - this doesn't happen in a vacuum, decisions like that are merely symptoms of a misguided corporate culture among Disney executives as a whole, and Chapek's just the most visible target.)

And last but not least, "Why isn't there a pool?"

Disclosure, I have no desire to stay at this hotel. While I “could” afford it without missing bills, I just think there’s smarter things to do with the money. The price point is a bit high. Further, I really only go to Disney for the theme park experience. We no longer really stay at Disney resorts, and we certainly don’t do cruises. That’s why we frequent DL more than WDW now.

So I have no frustration with my “inability” to stay at the hotel. My concern is that I don’t really trust them to make it an immersive experience, because I’m not sure Disney really know what immersion is anymore. The suits have this notion that interactivity = immersion, and it’s a false notion.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I like you added nothing to the conversation to also complain but feel justified because you make more posts. Pretty much seems you are just here to get into online arguments. Good on you and thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to avoid you from here on out.
says the lurker who originally contributed nothing and still contributes nothing with this post lol

Ckelly14

I recently listened top a podcast with Len Testa, and he was talking about a survey that had a question about household income at the end. Out of the 12 categories of income, there were 5 categories for incomes > 200K.

Disney will continue to move upscale until people stop paying. Plenty of people on the boards paying $200 (per day!) for a family of four to get 3 additional fast passes. I think this hotel will be popular for some time, but I think I will withhold judgement until I find out what's included.

rle4lunch

Unless they open up reservations to take DVC points (say...40/night, seems about right), then no, not going to stay here. And if they ever did take DVC points, then I'd have to have a bunch that I needed to burn before they expired.

rreading

Ok, so I like SW and I have the money to do this. But is it something that will draw me away from doing something else I love? My guess is that were our family of four to do this it would be like a cruise add on to the parks. Starcruiser for 48h then 48h at the parks.

BUT it had better be very well done. Cosplay really isn't our thing and if it's not all-in then we're not spending the time/money for it. Fortunately, word of mouth is pretty useful; if it's great, then it could be an otherworldly experience.

My guess is that GE will seem far more interesting when the Starcruiser guests arrive to visit. I'd be shocked if Disney didn't have locals showing up to interact with the new guests who had arrived.

Skibum1970

For us, no hotel is worth that cost (regardless of whether or not we can afford it). I'll stay at the Wilderness Lodge and try my luck at a boarding group (or FP+ once it starts) before paying that price. For it to even a decision point, it would also have to come with a FP+ that entitled us to walk onto any ride at any of the parks for the duration of my stay. Even then, no.

JohnD

Do I want to ride ROTR? Yes. Do I want to be cooped up in a land based SW cruise for several days in a 24/7 SW universe with no opportunity to decompress? No.

Last edited:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Chuckling to myself in regards to the back and forth critiques before the "experience" opens. As I recall, during construction, there was massive amounts of hate for Pandora at DAK. Just sayin'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom