Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because there's some type of artificial gravity at work on the Star Destroyer. When your pod ejects it's still within the envelope of the gravity.

-Rob

Oh, the question was about gravitational mechanics and not about the ride mechanics.

The simplest explanation of feeling a 'drop' in space being ejected from a starship is that you're being ejected from a starship. Acceleration in the direction of one's feet offsets any sort of artificial gravity the pods or starship has.

If one was in an artificial gravity field of a starship and you jumped off a catwalk, you'd feel like you're dropping. And if you were yanked down off that catwalk... same thing.

Kamikaze

I mean... I hope this doesn’t come off as stupid - I’m sure there’s an answer I haven’t thought of -, but how do the escape pods... um, “drop”, in space?

Do you mean how does the ride work? Or how would it work 'in canon'? The answer to the second is that they are launched away from the ship with thrusters, the same as when the launch vehicles for the real life space fleet separate.

Movielover

I mean... I hope this doesn’t come off as stupid - I’m sure there’s an answer I haven’t thought of -, but how do the escape pods... um, “drop”, in space?

You shouldn't put too much thought into the physics of the Star Wars universe. The spaceships themselves fly like airplanes in WW2 combat (it's what they were based on). Actual ships in zero G environment could not move like this. It's a fantasy universe, sit back and enjoy!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You shouldn't put too much thought into the physics of the Star Wars universe. The spaceships themselves fly like airplanes in WW2 combat (it's what they were based on). Actual ships in zero G environment could not move like this. It's a fantasy universe, sit back and enjoy!

I wonder how they eat and breathe and other science facts!

bclane

But Star Wars was a long time a go in a galaxy far far away where space physics work differently. J/K! It is definitely complete fantasy. I love Star Wars (and the escape pods are really not that much of a problem really as they are being ejected) but if someone is looking for a show that depicts a more realistic vision of space travel they should check out The Expanse. I could use that show in my classroom. But Star Wars is where my childhood lives and so will always be my favorite despite how ridiculous it can be.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But Star Wars was a long time a go in a galaxy far far away where space physics work differently. J/K! It is definitely complete fantasy. I love Star Wars (and the escape pods are really not that much of a problem really as they are being ejected) but if someone is looking for a show that depicts a more realistic vision of space travel they should check out The Expanse. I could use that show in my classroom. But Star Wars is where my childhood lives and so will always be my favorite despite how ridiculous it can be.

Wait. This *isn't* a documentary??!!!!

KevinPage

The Site That Shall Not Be Named has a video of the first Kylo AA in B mode. And it's pitiful. Not even a strobe light would fix that disaster. Kylo is listing to the side, and looks like he's about to pass out. The Force is not strong in B mode. :D :D :D

there is no way to really B mode this with Hux standing next to him.

2nd one has the wall blocking him, so at least you don’t see it. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom