Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mickeyboof

I've already dismissed your incredibly naive approach to marketing of an immersive land as a promise of 100% immersion. That's literally ridiculous. As in, I'm actually laughing at the idea. It's a goal post literally in a far away galaxy that can never be reached and your expectation of it based on marketing is laughable.

I and others have tried to talk you through as to why that's so ridiculous and yet you remain in a cocoon of invincible ignorance and keep bringing up.

Well keep bringing up. But you're not convincing anyone.

...if Disney says this is an authentic cannon experience taking place in a real, dynamic space that reflects the current position of time, then why wouldn’t we expect the land to follow its own set rules?

Galaxy’s Edge is setting rules, but breaking them in the same gesture. The argument, put simply, is there just shouldn’t be those rules in the first place.

If you put me in a themed room then tell me I’ve been transported back to 1796, I’ll be very confused when I see a contradiction such as a wall outlet.

At Galaxy’s Edge, Kylo Ren has destroyed his helmet. Yet he is still wearing it. It’s a contradiction that has NOTHING to do with marketing, or perceived marketing.

It has everything to do with storytelling.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
...if Disney says this is an authentic cannon experience taking place in a real, dynamic space that reflects the current position of time, then why wouldn’t we expect the land to follow its own set rules?

Galaxy’s Edge is setting rules, but breaking them in the same gesture. The argument, put simply, is there just shouldn’t be those rules in the first place.

If you put me in a themed room then tell me I’ve been transported back to 1796, I’ll be very confused when I see a contradiction such as a wall outlet.

At Galaxy’s Edge, Kylo Ren has destroyed his helmet. Yet he is still wearing it. It’s a contradiction that has NOTHING to do with marketing, or perceived marketing.

What flavor is that Hate-Ade you're drinking?

No Name

Good storytelling has been proven to win out in the long run. Please do read.

The problem with Galaxy’s Edge is large flaws with the storytelling and experiences in certain areas, like Smuggler’s Run and the impoverished yet not uplifting nature of the land. Bringing in a hodgepodge of classic familiar characters just masks that problem for short-term benefit without actually fundamentally fixing it. Like they did with Pixar Pier. It actually has the adverse effect of hurting the immersive nature that makes you a part of the story rather than an outside observer of the story. That’s the fundamental difference between the movie and theme park mediums, the perspective from which you experience the story.

Note that Pandora does not have a single character from the movies, yet it’s been very successful, because the story is fantastic. Kids buy puppet banshees not because of the movie they’ve never seen but because of the great attraction experience they just had.

It’s unfortunate to see many here advocate for brand parks over theme parks, when the latter continue to be more successful. You folks are no smarter than Clappie Chappie.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

What flavor is that Hate-Ade you're drinking?

None.

I’ve spent hours at Galaxy’s Edge enjoying what is there. I’ve spent more money on blue milks than butterbeer. Hundreds on cocktails and I’ve flown the falcon to my heart’s content.

I built a droid on day one, and lugged him back to his home planet so he could beep and bop. I’ve asked CMs questions about their planets and I’ve even escaped a Star Destroyer.

I believe I can still criticize the immense shortcomings of the industry’s most definitive creative blunder.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Well Said

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
None.

I’ve spent hours at Galaxy’s Edge enjoying what is there. I’ve spent more money on blue milks than butterbeer. Hundreds on cocktails and I’ve flown the falcon to my heart’s content.

I built a droid on day one, and lugged him back to his home planet so he could beep and bop. I’ve asked CMs questions about their planet and I’ve even escaped a Star Destroyer.

I believe I can still criticize the immense shortcomings of the industry’s most definitive creative blunder.

Are you critical of some immersive shortcomings, or are you defending HappyHaunt's contention that there must be 100% immersion with no exceptions due to marketing "promises"?

RobWDW1971

Good storytelling has been proven to win out in the long run. Please do read.

The problem with Galaxy’s Edge is flaws with the storytelling and experiences in certain areas, like Smuggler’s Run and the impoverished yet not uplifting nature of the land. Bringing in a hodgepodge of classic familiar characters just masks that problem for short-term benefit without actually fundamentally fixing it, like they did with Pixar Pier. It actually has the adverse effect of hurting the immersive nature that makes you a part of the story rather than an outside observer of the story. That’s the fundamental difference between the movie and theme park mediums, the perspective from which you experience the story.

Note that Pandora does not have a single character from the movies, yet it’s been very successful, because the story is fantastic. Kids buy puppet banshees not because of the movie they’ve never seen but because of the great attraction experience they just had.

It’s unfortunate to see many here advocate for brand parks over theme parks, when the latter continue to be more successful. You folks are no smarter than Clappie Chappie.
You are seeing this through the lens of what they built and trying to convert it to something else. Had the land been built with a fundamentally different (and frankly more interesting) creative concept, we could have incredible theming, memorable environments, AND characters, stories, and locations from the entire universe.

Unfortunately, their fundamental decision to make a singular place and time was a disaster. We all fully understand what they were going for, it just flat out didn’t work.

Mickeyboof

Are you critical of some immersive shortcomings, or are you defending HappyHaunt's contention that there must be 100% immersion with no exceptions due to marketing "promises"?

I’m not critical of “immersive shortcomings.”

This land would still be “immersive” if Jar Jar had a dance party and the Mandalorian walked around.

The land is not being marketed as anything but “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this” and “live YOUR Star Wars Adventure.”

The creative people are the ones who have been telling us, the audience, that this land is supposed to emulate a real physical attachment to time. It’s in the land’s DNA.

So I’m confused when I see contradictions, such as Kylo wearing his helmet.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

This land would still be “immersive” if Jar Jar had a dance party and the Mandalorian walked around.

The land is not being marketed as anything but “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this” and “live YOUR Star Wars Adventure.”

The creative people are the ones who have been telling us, the audience, that this land is supposed to emulate a real physical attachment to time. It’s in the land’s DNA.

Well, I can understand what you're saying and agree with some of it.

So, I don't understand why you were rebutting the point I was making to HappyHaunt who demands 100% immersion based on marketing.

RobWDW1971

And since when is “living my Star Wars adventure” include running errands in the dark for Hondo to pick up cans, watching Rey and Chewie pantomime in the dark pretending to fix an engine, wander through a lifeless, abandoned outpost, being in a world where Vader, Yoda, Boba Fett, Kenobi, etc. are all dead, there are no wandering aliens, bounty hunters, Jedi, and droids, and I hear union merch and food & beverage workers awkwardly say “Bright Suns!” to me?

Who’s Star Wars adventure is that exactly?

Mickeyboof

Well, I can understand what you're saying and agree with some of it.

So, I don't understand why you were rebutting the point I was making to HappyHaunt who demands 100% immersion based on marketing.

Because I think HappyHaunt is confusing marketing with creative statements/ creative intent a bit.

When Scott and Margaret tell us their creative decisions, it’s a touch different than Disney commercials and press releases.

RobWDW1971

Because I think HappyHaunt is confusing marketing with creative statements/ creative intent a bit.

When Scott and Margaret tell us their creative decisions, it’s a touch different than Disney commercials and press releases.
When I listen to Scott and Margaret explain their goals and intent of what they tried to accomplish with the land, my response always is, “Fully understand. And you failed completely in achieving that goal.”

Mickeyboof

I would like to state quickly, I find the ambition to create a truly immersive experience noble. It is remarkably difficult to make a theme park feel personal, intimate.

Frankly, Disney does it best.

When Scott and Margaret talk, I’m absolutely excited, invigorated and intrigued. I love immersive theatre, I love environmental theatre. I was just at sleep no more last night for the umptenth time.

I want Galaxy’s Edge to achieve it’s creative goals.

But it isn’t. It really, really isn’t. I don’t know if this is because of hubris, if they’re stuck in creative mud, or if it’s financial cuts... but they’re failing in their goals.

RobWDW1971

I would like to state quickly, I find the ambition to create a truly immersive experience noble. It is remarkably difficult to make a theme park feel personal, intimate.

Frankly, Disney does it best.

When Scott and Margaret talk, I’m absolutely excited, invigorated and intrigued. I love immersive theatre, I love environmental theatre. I was just at sleep no more last night for the umptenth time.

I want Galaxy’s Edge to achieve it’s creative goals.

But it isn’t. It really, really isn’t. I don’t know if this is because of hubris, if they’re stuck in creative mud, or if it’s financial cuts... but they’re failing in their goals.
Mentioning “Sleep No More” in the context of SWGE just makes me depressed. It’s like they just spew buzzwords about environmental theater and immersion then just didn’t do it.

Honestly, my local Renaissance Faire achieves a more realistic, fun, entertaining, immersive experience than SWGE ever will. Heck, down the road at Knott’s, the actors they use throughout Ghost Town during the summer blow anything SWGE is even attempting away.

If that’s not sad....

Movielover

Well, I've been gone for a whole week due to holidays and figured I would pop back on to see what I missed in this thread and...

tumblr_inline_owpn8zomkt1rw7ltg_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So nothing new then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom