News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

danlb_2000

Premium Member
According to the site that shall not be named, Disney has purchased 235 acres of land adjacent to the western side of the property. While I would not normally care the number of acres got me suspicious.

Due to the location of the purchased property, I would suspect the land to be used for absolutely nothing, but that is where I became suspicious.

Land in all areas have development restrictions, Disney is no exception, despite the fact they literary own the local government.

Both HS and AK have a footprint of roughly 300 acres including the parking area.

Theoretically, over the long term could the land be used as a transfer of development restrictions to free up land in a better location?

I am not saying tomorrow, next year, or the year after, but could it be a sign of some mass development in the works?

Yes, this is likely for conservation offsets so they can develop on wetlands in other areas. It is important to note that these offsets are not 1 for 1, so this 235 acres doesn't mean they can develop 235 acres of wetlands elsewhere.

doctornick

Disney has to have plans on some major additions in the future. They have purchased tons of land recently. Either they have to enlarge the existing borders of the existing parks or build a fifth. In many ways I think it would be better to expand MK and Hollywood Studios. I expect something major to be announced after WSW's 50th Celebration but before the Company's 100th Anniversary in 2023.

I don't really see a fifth park any time in the near future, but I've got to think there will be some additions occurring after the 50th - with Epic Universe opening, they will want to have their own "counter programming" to drawn attention.

wdwfan4ver

Disney has to have plans on some major additions in the future. They have purchased tons of land recently. Either they have to enlarge the existing borders of the existing parks or build a fifth. In many ways I think it would be better to expand MK and Hollywood Studios. I expect something major to be announced after WSW's 50th Celebration but before the Company's 100th Anniversary in 2023.
Expanding MK should not be a priority. That park is bursting at seams already and adding a MK expansion would make it worse unless they are adding a high capacity theater at a different spot in MK. I saw what happened for the New Fantasyland Expansion and the crowds even got more insane.

AK needs to be looked at. The park is great at theming, but it does not have 10 rides.

jt04

I can't believe nobody else bought this until now. That amount of land in that location seems dirt cheap. Makes me think it is not easily developed and may just be a set aside and buffer.

Amazing story though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't really see a fifth park any time in the near future, but I've got to think there will be some additions occurring after the 50th - with Epic Universe opening, they will want to have their own "counter programming" to drawn attention.

Let me ask you: if you and when you go to WDW, how many days do you stay for?
I can't believe nobody else bought this until now. That amount of land in that location seems dirt cheap. Makes me think it is not easily developed and may just be a set aside and buffer.

Amazing story though.
Haven’t spent much time in Polk county, have you? 🤪

The_Jobu

I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth park is announced during the 50th celebration, with a scheduled opening later in the 2020s. The existing parks are bursting at the seams, and with Universal building a new park, this would be the perfect opportunity for Disney to make a big move.

Merry Christmas Chappie! You little rascal you.

Oddysey

I think of Future World as the 5th gate. At least for now.

Not in its current state. Feels like a giant border wall is running through the center nearly blocking entry to the outdoor night club near the pond. Going to pack shovels and ladders for my next trip.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is the location of the parcel..

1577207077778.png

Fills in a hole in the boundaries of RCID...

1577207118680.png

rreading

I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth park is announced during the 50th celebration, with a scheduled opening later in the 2020s. The existing parks are bursting at the seams, and with Universal building a new park, this would be the perfect opportunity for Disney to make a big move.

As much as I respect your opinion, I'm would be surprised. Very happily so, but surprised nonetheless.

edit to add that I would not actually be that surprised if Bob (Iger) had a proposal for something great in Fl, that he might want to announce it as his swan song

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom