Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

The_Jobu

I think you're a liar.

No, I would not think about killing a child based on a vision of the future. Crazy me I guess...? 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Why do I even need to explain this? What is even going on in this thread anymore? I just want a place to whine that they turned the force into screenwriter's duct tape.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
And Luke IS a common person.

Actually, he's not. His lineage comes from Anakin. Because he was raised on a farm as you say, does not negate that fact.

You can take any position on the trilogy and/or views about TLJ that you'd like. But you can't change the fact that everything released after Jonson's disaster has under performed. Because people didn't like it.

It became toxic to the fan base and it cost him his trilogy and will soon cost Kennedy her position at Lucasfilm. But everyone is entitled to an opinion. You have yours. I have mine - which is that the entire Disney Trilogy is not very good, and that TLJ is complete garbage. Now we can debate those facts til the cows come home (on Luke's farm). But there is no debating the steady decline of this franchise since the release of Johnson's debacle.

TROR

Actually, he's not. His lineage comes from Anakin. Because he was raised on a farm as you say, does not negate that fact.

You can take any position on the trilogy and/or views about TLJ that you'd like. But you can't change the fact that everything released after Jonson's disaster has under performed. Because people didn't like it.

It became toxic to the fan base and it cost him his trilogy and will soon cost Kennedy her position at Lucasfilm. But everyone is entitled to an opinion. You have yours. I have mine - which is that the entire Disney Trilogy is not very good, and that TLJ is complete garbage. Now we can debate those facts til the cows come home (on Luke's farm). But there is no debating the steady decline of this franchise since the release of Johnson's debacle.
Time will not serve you well, boomer.

Professortango1

Anakin was a slave who's imperfections caused him to turn to the darkside and he eventually fulfilled his role as the chosen one and killed Palpatine. Luke is common. He's not regal or stoic. He has moments, but throughout the entire original trilogy he's a kid trying to understand and wrestle with the weight which has placed upon him.

And Solo bombed for a number of reasons. It was a story nobody really wanted to see, it stared an actor nobody cared about, it had the directors replaced by Ron Howard (yawn) and had massive reshoots, it opened mere months after another SW film, and it was pretty bad. Fanbois had a fit when TFA trailer premiered and Star Wars had a black guy and a woman as the lead. They smashed their keys hating Rey and Kylo Ren. People HATED these characters for no good reason.

Johnson didn't kill Star Wars, fans did. They drove Lucas away with their vitriol. Then they spewed more hate at the new works until JJ decided to just give fanbois what they wanted rather than a good movie. People who put their hands over their ears and screamed "nuh uh, Luke wouldn't do that!" killed Star Wars.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Anakin was a slave who's imperfections caused him to turn to the darkside and he eventually fulfilled his role as the chosen one and killed Palpatine.

And why was he the chosen one? Because he won a lottery to become a Padawan? No. Because it was recognized he had a midichlorian count only surpassed by Yoda. Which he then passed down.

Johnson didn't kill Star Wars

Yes. He did.

And Solo bombed for a number of reasons. It was a story nobody really wanted to see

Nobody wanted to see a movie about Han Solo? Really? Ok, then. Maybe turning Lando into a Pan-sexual and more identity politics had something to do with it. Just a guess.

Professortango1

And why was he the chosen one? Because he won a lottery to become a Padawan? No. Because it was recognized he had a midichlorian count only surpassed by Yoda. Which he then passed down.

Yes. He did.

Yes, Luke was powerful. But that doesn't change who he is as a character. Luke is common. He's not Obi Wan nor Yoda. He wasn't raised as a Jedi, we was raised as a farmer who wanted to get to Toshi station.

And if Johnson killed Star Wars, why did fans chase Lucas away and hate on TFA with such ferocity long before TLJ was even created? You're looking for someone to blame when you should just invest in a mirror.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
And if Johnson killed Star Wars, why did fans chase Lucas away and hate on TFA with such ferocity long before TLJ was even created? You're looking for someone to blame when you should just invest in a mirror.

Is it not possible that Lucas, Johnson and Abrams all have made some poor decisions regarding Star Wars that can be criticized on their own terms?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Anti-intellectualism is not intellectualism. You're not any smarter or a better person for not thinking critically about corporate produced slop.

Not everyone who thinks about the media they consume is "just a h8ter". I mean, people are paid big bucks to think about these movies, which is how they get made in the first place.

If I paid someone millions of dollars to write a new Star Wars story and they best they could come up with is "Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter" I'd want my money back.

Professortango1

For me. It served no purpose. I don't know if this was Johnson's version of the Cantina scene in "A New Hope" or if it was solely to highlight Tico's speech on animal rights. Part of me thinks they just promised DelToro a scene (so he wouldn't sue them for the failed Haunted Mansion script) and shoe-horned it in. It added nothing to the movie.

HAHAHAHA Benicio Del Toro is not the same person a Guillermo Del Toro. Wow. Time for bed, buddy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Luke is common

Luke is presented as common as he is introduced in the movie. It becomes pretty clear early on - that he's not.

Personally, I was okay with TFA. It wasn't the best SW movie, but I think it hit a lot of the right notes. Paid homage to the original characters and set up the new characters decently.

Let's put it this way. When an editor who worked on the Disney Trilogy comes out publicly and states “I just think that when you’re doing a trilogy, you can’t just abandon a story." That's not exactly a glowing endorsement of Rian Johnson. Would you agree?

The additional fact that Abrams felt the need to retcon several elements introduced by Johnson (including one of his standout characters) - not a glowing endorsement either.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I saw the movie a second time today, in IMAX.

I still really like the movie. I'm glad I'm able to enjoy these movies for the fun rides that they are. I'm happy to critique where they fell short, but I don't focus on the negative. This movie is a lot of fun with some great moments.
Sorry for quoting - had to go back and find a post that wasn't a continuation of a 2 year old argument.

I just got out of it and really enjoyed it. It was definitely rushed in some aspects but I think the Rey, Finn, and Poe dynamic was one of the highlights that I think ended this trilogy on one of the highest notes it could have reached all things considered.

The things I was concerned about was the Emperor which was better than I expected sans for his demise which was too quick to me. I wish that segment was carried out a bit longer, 5-10 mins. Luke and Leia's handling I think was perfect. Luke lifting the x-wing and even the brief flashback to Leia's training I think worked really well.

It wasn't perfect but was better than expected and satisfying!

Professortango1

Luke is presented as common as he is introduced in the movie. It becomes pretty clear early on - that he's not.

Personally, I was okay with TFA. It wasn't the best SW movie, but I think it hit a lot of the right notes. Paid homage to the original characters and set up the new characters decently.

Let's put it this way. When an editor who worked on the Disney Trilogy comes out publicly and states “I just think that when you’re doing a trilogy, you can’t just abandon a story." That's not exactly a glowing endorsement of Rian Johnson. Would you agree?

The additional fact that Abrams felt the need to retcon several elements introduced by Johnson (including one of his standout characters) - not a glowing endoresement either.

JJ also responded to memes about Chewie not getting a medal or a hug. JJ and Disney were looking to try and appease SW fanbois and look at the mess they created. 57% RT score isn't much of an "endoresement." Johnson created a much better film and the critics agreed. Unfortunately the man-children of the world didn't want a good movie, they wanted to be coddled and told they were special. More proof that the SW fan killed Star Wars.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Johnson created a much better film and the critics agreed.

The fans didn't. The audience scores were atrocious. I wonder how his trilogy is coming along. Do you think his script is done yet?

This is becoming a circular conversation. You obviously are a fan of TLJ. I think it is an absolute waste and an embarrassment. Let's just leave it at that. And come to the realization that he won't be doing another Star Wars movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom