Has RotR changed riders' minds about Galactic Starcruiser?

socalkdg

Around $3000 per 2-night "voyage". It's not a 2-night minimum, it's a fixed 2-night length of stay.
Is it all inclusive? If food and drink, plus entrance into the park for both days, front of the line passes, own guide, then the price looks a bit more feasible. Plus that would be full price, I'd imagine 25-35% discounts would be available.

ImperfectPixie

With the limited quantity of rooms, I expect that even without repeat bookings, there's enough demand to keep it running for years. If they deliver on what they've described (certainly not guaranteed) and periodically refresh the activities and plotlines, there'll be enough repeat "cruisers" to go at least a decade. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they're only expecting the hotel to last 15 years or so (a fairly typical lifetime for a theme park attraction).

If GWL actually performed routine upkeep on the components of their magic wand game instead of leaving everything in a constant state of disrepair, and had randomized plotlines instead of everyone having the same exact quest every time, it wouldn't have been a one-and-done for our family. The water park is fun, but the kid needs something to keep her busy when we're not swimming, and she got really frustrated with worn-out wand sensors and burned-in screens.
Absolutely. The broken sensors and basically just walking two long paths back and forth across the hotel. It's like they didn't even try to make it feel like an "adventure".

Hank Hill

With the limited quantity of rooms, I expect that even without repeat bookings, there's enough demand to keep it running for years. If they deliver on what they've described (certainly not guaranteed) and periodically refresh the activities and plotlines, there'll be enough repeat "cruisers" to go at least a decade. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they're only expecting the hotel to last 15 years or so (a fairly typical lifetime for a theme park attraction).

At about 100 rooms, including what looks to be a few high roller type rooms, I would say 85% occupancy rate would be considered more than successful. At 52 mil visitors a year, considering a 2 night stay and average family size of 4, you would only need .00119% of visitors to do this per year. I think they can stay consistently well booked for some time from just what is already known.

There are plenty of people who book a burner room to leave empty just so they can book FP 60 days out. Pay for a meal and don't go just to get in the park early. Lots of other tours and exclusives are offered and get paid for happily by many. People who stay for 10-15 days may splurge for 2 days at the cruiser and then the rest at another resort. I don't think it will be that hard to make this work, depending on what other perks are offered in the package. People want to feel special, and this can certainly offer that. I personally think it will be successful.

Parker in NYC

Since oodles of resort stays can run past $1000/night, for just the room - what is considered expensive these days? I don't know how this place'll do but in terms of price, it won't even be a second thought to those with the cash to drop (or, the credit to run up).

mergatroid

This doesn't appeal to me due to the cost and I don't particularly like role playing either, but I can see it being a success. The way I see it working is that initially there'll be enough well off Star Wars fans who'll be desperate to go. Within the first week or so (if Disney allow videoing by the guests) there'll be countless vlogs on youtube. If it's done well then those holding back from booking will see what's there and weigh up if it's worth the price or not.

Genie_naughty_whispers

Just like everything Disney does...there will be a huge influx of people when it opens, and they will say it’s a success. But success on this should be measured by longevity. Numbers will drop off once the super fans go through. Disney will have to adjust the experience after a few years and the voyage aspect will likely either be an extra or dropped altogether and it will just be a deluxe resort.

also rotr will have no impact on the success of the hotel

mergatroid

I’m still skewing towards not trying it mainly because why would I spend time on property and not go to the parks?

It's probably marketed at Star Wars fans rather than your average Disney World visitor. Therefore the primary reason for their trip is to role play Star Wars and visit Galaxy's Edge. If they then fall in love with Disney then that's a bonus, if they don't then at least Disney's had a chunk of money from them that they wouldn't otherwise have seen.

Of course there'll be those who already love and visit Disney World along with being Star Wars fans, and Disney will happily take their money too. In answer to your question though, those who pay what it costs will have already prioritised the hotel over the parks in general.

ImperfectPixie

I’m still skewing towards not trying it mainly because why would I spend time on property and not go to the parks?
It's a two-day thing...most would tack it on to the beginning or end of a week-long trip, I think. And I'm sure they wouldn't bar you from going to the parks. Role-play experiences are generally a "take what you want" type situation, where you can either go all-in and fully immerse yourself, or you can pick and choose what you want to participate in.

Touchdown

It's a two-day thing...most would tack it on to the beginning or end of a week-long trip, I think. And I'm sure they wouldn't bar you from going to the parks. Role-play experiences are generally a "take what you want" type situation, where you can either go all-in and fully immerse yourself, or you can pick and choose what you want to participate in.

I would probably want to do the role play thing, but it would bother me that I was at WDW and not going to a park. I just don’t think I would enjoy it as much as a day at the park. It needs to have amazing reviews for me to consider it.

ObscurityPoint

Here’s my quick thoughts on this project I keep forgetting is happening:
When I think ‘Galactic Starcruiser’, I still only think of extremely rich youtube dads with their five year old children and vloggers spending way too much money for their own good just to stay a night. By this, I mean that I believe it will be extremely overhyped by the media and resort, unaffordable, and will go downhill quickly when compared to Disney’s other resorts. This may seem completely cynical, as ‘unaffordable’ can sum up pretty much any Disney venue, but by the time this opens, I can’t imagine the hype train for Star Wars being as strong as it was in 2015. Especially after ROS and the pricing difference when it compared to the other resorts soley for the ‘experience’. Of course I’m excited to see what imagineers will come up with, and how immersive the hotel experience will translate from the parks, but I feel that (like Galaxy’s Edge) the resort will quietly lose most of its magic in the long run.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Really wouldn't be much different then doing a Disney Cruise + Parks package.

Ravenclaw78

When I think ‘Galactic Starcruiser’, I still only think of extremely rich youtube dads with their five year old children and vloggers spending way too much money for their own good just to stay a night.

You have a preconceived stereotype of the potential audience that appears to be preventing you from even considering the possibility of anyone outside that audience being willing to pay for this experience. Time will tell, but the reality is very likely broader than your imagination acknowledges.

Hank Hill

You have a preconceived stereotype of the potential audience that appears to be preventing you from even considering the possibility of anyone outside that audience being willing to pay for this experience. Time will tell, but the reality is very likely broader than your imagination acknowledges.
From all that I have read, we still do not know exactly what will be offered or how it will work. I can't see Disney telling people they are stuck in the resort for 2 days and not leave. Since they say it will be like a cruise, and kids clubs are hugely popular on cruises, they very well could have a way to drop the kids off while mom and dad go to the adults only bar, or out to eat at V&A, no role playing expected or needed. Looks like there will be exclusive HS access to at least the SW area, but maybe the whole park too. Maybe excursions to other parks will be offered. I say again, if there is enough exclusive perks, many people will want to do it, even without being SW fans.

We still don't know prices either, but the numbers I see people estimate do not seem unreasonable compared to Club level GF, or the treehouses, or the Polly bungalows. And those are not going out of business.

RobWDW1971

From all that I have read, we still do not know exactly what will be offered or how it will work. I can't see Disney telling people they are stuck in the resort for 2 days and not leave. Since they say it will be like a cruise, and kids clubs are hugely popular on cruises, they very well could have a way to drop the kids off while mom and dad go to the adults only bar, or out to eat at V&A, no role playing expected or needed. Looks like there will be exclusive HS access to at least the SW area, but maybe the whole park too. Maybe excursions to other parks will be offered. I say again, if there is enough exclusive perks, many people will want to do it, even without being SW fans.

We still don't know prices either, but the numbers I see people estimate do not seem unreasonable compared to Club level GF, or the treehouses, or the Polly bungalows. And those are not going out of business.

DVC and DCL have proven Disney is capable of separating people from their money well beyond their means.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't see how they'd allow guests from the hote....ahem, Starcruiser to go to Galaxy's Edge and not be able to venture to the rest of the park...and therefore to other parks.

Animaniac93-98

I don't see how they'd allow guests from the hote....ahem, Starcruiser to go to Galaxy's Edge and not be able to venture to the rest of the park...and therefore to other parks.

Do you have to change out of your cosplay gear to enter DHS?

If not there will be a noticeable increase in the number of Jedi elsewhere in WDW.

Rob562

I just can’t imagine the cringe “acting” we’ll encounter for the days aboard the “ship.”

Are they going to staff the place with dozens of highly trained actors who excel in immersive performance ? Hell no.

Dozens? No.

But a good dozen Equity actors who are good at improv on the level of Studios Streetmosphere or Adventurer's Club? I would assume so.

Will every CM in the place be trained to that level? Doubtful.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom