News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And if you've already bought day admission, what value does that extra 2 hours give you?

I'm sure that's a typo (a real one! :) ), but for the sake of factuality... 3 hours.

For me, personally, I like the After Hours. Pay even more for (nearly) no lines and crowds? Yes, that's worth it to me. Especially to be in the parks in the cool of the evening.

But the Villains addition isn't worth it to me. I'd pay more for ride access and not waiting. I really don't want to pay more for that extra entertainment that's doesn't seem so entertaining. They're bundling a good value (IMO) of the After Hours with a poor value (IMO) of the Villains and makes it less valuable to me, not more.

Now, if they paired it with Club Villain...

DisneyDreamer08

I'm sure that's a typo (a real one! :) ), but for the sake of factuality... 3 hours.

For me, personally, I like the After Hours. Pay even more for (nearly) no lines and crowds? Yes, that's worth it to me. Especially to be in the parks in the cool of the evening.

But the Villains addition isn't worth it to me. I'd pay more for ride access and not waiting. I really don't want to pay more for that extra entertainment that's doesn't seem so entertaining. They're bundling a good value (IMO) of the After Hours with a poor value (IMO) of the Villains and makes it less valuable to me, not more.

Now, if they paired it with Club Villain...

So instead of dealing with the overcrowding, and finding ways to make wait times shorter, they simply sell more tickets at a higher price. Makes sense.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So instead of dealing with the overcrowding, and finding ways to make wait times shorter, they simply sell more tickets at a higher price. Makes sense.

What do you propose WDW can do to make wait times shorter for the MK which is already hosting twice the number of people that the park was designed for?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And if you've already bought day admission, what value does that extra 2 hours give you?
Indeed. But also. Who cares? For a regular guest....You buy a regular ticket that goes from park open to park close. On these days they are closing early to throw you out. Whilst simultaneously letting the party goers in early to crowd up the park. Crowd up the fireworks, crowd up the queues. It's nonsense. If a regular ticket holder can't enjoy a couple free hours of "Party" time. Then party goers shouldn't get to steal space from regular guests either. But again, Disney does not care. Positive guest experience is about 900th on their list of goals.

DisneyDreamer08

What do you propose WDW can do to make wait times shorter for the MK which is already hosting twice the number of people that the park was designed for?

Add more rides, shows & attractions? Redesign current rides to increase capacity?

I just find it funny (and a little sad) that Disney is clearly over crowded, and clearly over priced but Disney finds ways to make more money off the over crowding, instead of finding a solution 🤷‍♀️ That’s all.

Minthorne

For $145 + tax for 3 hours there should be more food than ice cream and popcorn. You don't even get a free cupcake?

To compare - Orlando Informer Meetup at Universal is $175 + tax and is 5.5 hours, includes 2 parks and unlimited food and non-alcoholic beverages are included with your ticket. Some of the offerings will include chicken tacos, vegetable pasta, chicken and waffles, salads, turkey wraps, spaghetti and meatballs, rotisserie baby back ribs, and much more. Theme-park staples such as cheeseburgers, pizza, and more will also be available. Cap off the night with delectable desserts, including warm churros, unique cupcakes, Cinnabons®, ice cream sundaes, miniature cannoli, and more. Butterbeer™, other unique non-alcoholic drinks, and ice cream from Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour are also included in your ticket.

Touchdown

Exactly, I’m not paying extra for these events when I’m a day guest. Maybe next year when I’m at Universal I’ll spring for this once on my winter trip but only if Universal isn’t doing something special on a Friday.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Add more rides, shows & attractions? Redesign current rides to increase capacity?

When you add an attraction, you attract more people to your park, not less. Especially a new one.

Take for example, TRON. At any point during the day, there may be 500 people in its queue on on the ride. Then that is only 500 people less milling around the park and in the restaurants on other attractions. With nearly 30 attractions and 20 'other' venues (restaurants and stores), then TRON would mean there is only 10 people less at all the other venues. Unless... the building of TRON brings in more than 500 people per day, and then the building of TRON would make the park more crowded, not less.

Redesigning rides to increase capacity is a huge endeavor and usually requires using up more space (like with TSM and Soarin).

If anything, selling the park twice in one day would cut crowds. A morning ticket of 6a - 4p; and an evening ticket of 2p - Midnight would give each group 10 hours and nearly cut crowding in half.

n2hifi

When you add an attraction, you attract more people to your park, not less. Especially a new one.

Take for example, TRON. At any point during the day, there may be 500 people in its queue on on the ride. Then that is only 500 people less milling around the park and in the restaurants on other attractions. With nearly 30 attractions and 20 'other' venues (restaurants and stores), then TRON would mean there is only 10 people less at all the other venues. Unless... the building of TRON brings in more than 500 people per day, and then the building of TRON would make the park more crowded, not less.

Redesigning rides to increase capacity is a huge endeavor and usually requires using up more space (like with TSM and Soarin).

If anything, selling the park twice in one day would cut crowds. A morning ticket of 6a - 4p; and an evening ticket of 2p - Midnight would give each group 10 hours and nearly cut crowding in half.
Unfortunately so true. Looking back over the last 30 years, quite a few attractions and even whole parks have been added to the Orlando area, but crowds seem to increase faster than they can build. I'm not saying they shouldn't continue to add and I would love to see a fifth gate, but even if I was running the business I would be inclined to raise prices until I found a balance. I keep thinking they will reach that balance. Maybe they have with lower attendance numbers, but I'm betting they can go higher. They haven't stopped me from going yet.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Unfortunately so true. Looking back over the last 30 years, quite a few attractions and even whole parks have been added to the Orlando area, but crowds seem to increase faster than they can build. I'm not saying they shouldn't continue to add and I would love to see a fifth gate, but even if I was running the business I would be inclined to raise prices until I found a balance. I keep thinking they will reach that balance. Maybe they have with lower attendance numbers, but I'm betting they can go higher. They haven't stopped me from going yet.

This Summer and September may be an indication that they're finding the price point that drives away attendance.

But then they panic when it works.

And people are paying those same higher prices to crowd the Fall and Holidays.

So... 🤷‍♂️

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
This Summer and September may be an indication that they're finding the price point that drives away attendance.

But then they panic when it works.

And people are paying those same higher prices to crowd the Fall and Holidays.

So... 🤷‍♂️

I would argue that dynamic pricing has failed miserably. The higher peak prices have scared away the price sensitive guest, necessitating deep discounts, the lower priced off peak times can’t hit the mark, also necessitating deep discounts. If Disney where genuinely concerned about crowding, there simply would be no discounts and the problem solved itself. But that was never the goal. Their model ensures that the bad times are worse and the good times are bad, so everyone is equally miserable. (and broke)

awoogala

Honestly, I attended this in July, this last summer. (2019), and. meh. the lines were more than 20-30 minutes for pirates all night (they said, looked like 40+, from my experiences at wdw, I've never seen a line that long that was 30 minutes.). It just.. didn't do it for me. I had a short trip, free hotel, no one but me, so I thought I'd splurge. early morning admission/breakfast at toy story- worth it. decent breakfast, rides in a new section, low lines, less stress. Early morning at mk.. yes on the rides, breakfast was...awful, (gross food), but.. we did it again in february...(with a family of 4) and they wouldn't alter anything for us (vegetarian wanted a plate of pancakes with no bacon- they told her to "just throw it out", though the bacon was.. you know..soaking bacon grease into the pancakes). also, a bit too crowded to really be worth the $. Some of these things make me crazy, and are not worth the "plush, up-pricing" I was.. bored/not impressed with the villians night for the price, honestly. left early.

cmarten

Interested to see how this turns out. It seems to be much more of a parade this year.

I just hope they keep the admission low again. That was the best part of going to this was the low crowds.

IanDLBZF

Interested to see how this turns out. It seems to be much more of a parade this year.

I just hope they keep the admission low again. That was the best part of going to this was the low crowds.
Same here. A lot of folks are screaming at Disney to have character meet and greets during VAH. I mean, they pulled it off during DAH at HWS twice, but why not here is beyond me.
Then again, looking at how disastrous both Villains Unleashed and FanDaze went, guess Disney learned their lesson.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I hope this distracts others as I am only interested in the rides with minimal waits. I just wish I didn't have to pay $15 more for the villains theme as it makes no difference to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom