News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Figments Friend

I totally see this point. My issue is the overarching story. I don't know what World Showcase's overarching story/theme is. As I've said, it's the laziness of storytelling with these attractions that's most upsetting. The WS attractions are attractions about the IP. They aren't attractions about the country hosted by the IP. That's what upsets me most. And, I think Guardians is the biggest offender of this. The story for World Discovery is hodgepodge and weak at best. While I loved original EPCOT Center A LOT, I see where the broad based appeal may be lacking. But, I don't see why the themes of original EPCOT Center have to be thrown out if we want to insert characters. I don't think Remy would be any less popular if it was focused on something like Remy teaching you French culinary techniques vs. it being about Remy himself. In Epcot, it should be a France-focused attraction that features Remy vs. a ride focused on Remy and his story. At least in my view. That type of approach would be something I could totally get behind as a compromise designed to make as many people happy as possible.

This.

I really wish someone currently in power within the Disney Company understood this.
So important to the long term health of the Park, as well as appealing to a broad spectrum of Guests visiting from around the world.

-

FigmentFan82

WDW is a playground for everyone. Which means that its rides shouldn't have to be dumbed down to suit the tastes of infants. Mary Poppins deserves better than a carousel, and I'm not going to accept the possibility that it's all we'll get just because your kids might not get scared on it. Try again.
I’d prefer to not have it be a carousel as well, but your attitude that the attractions should all be catered to what you like/want is worrisome

Sir_Cliff

Just call to mind how often so many here criticize the Mermaid and Nemo omnimovers. Having a lot of rides lacking some pizzazz is a whole lot of a lack of pizzazz.

We're about to get three LPS that have the bare minimum of expected pizzazz. Don't settle for a whole bunch of Antarcticas.
What seems interesting to me with this comparison, though, is how much is possible at the fraction of the budget Disney spends on boring rides that look a lot cheaper, like Mermaid and Nemo or the current Journey into Imagination.

Just looking at the video, Symbolica falls a bit flat because it doesn't really have much of a point. If they needed to spend more money, though, it was on having someone punch up the story more than plussing the sets and effects as it's hard to say the scale of this is less impressive than something like Ratatouille or Mermaid. This won't be popular here, but I think it is also a testament to the value IP can add to a ride as part of the issue with Symbolica is that the "story" (such as it is) is a little meaningless without any recognition of the characters or settings. Disney, though, would never be accused of shying away from using its IPs yet it seems to spend many multiples of what Eftling spent on this ride to do far less with them.

EPCOTCenterLover

What seems interesting to me with this comparison, though, is how much is possible at the fraction of the budget Disney spends on boring rides that look a lot cheaper, like Mermaid and Nemo or the current Journey into Imagination.

Just looking at the video, Symbolica falls a bit flat because it doesn't really have much of a point. If they needed to spend more money, though, it was on having someone punch up the story more than plussing the sets and effects as it's hard to say the scale of this is less impressive than something like Ratatouille or Mermaid. This won't be popular here, but I think it is also a testament to the value IP can add to a ride as part of the issue with Symbolica is that the "story" (such as it is) is a little meaningless without any recognition of the characters or settings. Disney, though, would never be accused of shying away from using its IPs yet it seems to spend many multiples of what Eftling spent on this ride to do far less with them.
Doesn't seem like the people "know" these characters at all, so either there's a misfire on creating the story or they are not all that interesting.

Snow Queen 83

I believe Baxter's idea was mini carousels flying through the land. I believe it was another Imagineer (perhaps Mitch on Imagineering Disney?) that had the carousel horses breaking free idea.

Sounds too dangerous, the gramps could break a hip if they fell off. I suppose it could have alternative transportation like E.T. has in Universal though.

Tonto

Gorgeous, isn't it? Here's a great video of the ride-through:

So I watched the video. It looks like a fun ride. With that being said this ride has terrible pacing with many of the rooms having minimal effects and wait times. I personally wouldn't put this ahead of

I agree with you. I felt they had some cool effects, but outside of this the ride was unnecessarily long, and the pacing of the ride imo is pretty bad, but that's my opinion. I also felt that some of the rooms were pretty large and missing set pieces. I could see why people are impressed with this ride though.

Goofy Ninja

I wouldn't say I'd refuse to ride it if it's based on the new one, but I'd just be disappointed. I actually would try any ride no matter what the IP is. Unless it is satanic and sacrificing virgins... actually that would be pretty cool too.

Last edited:

cheezbat

So I watched the video. It looks like a fun ride. With that being said this ride has terrible pacing with many of the rooms having minimal effects and wait times. I personally wouldn't put this ahead of

I agree with you. I felt they had some cool effects, but outside of this the ride was unnecessarily long, and the pacing of the ride imo is pretty bad, but that's my opinion. I also felt that some of the rooms were pretty large and missing set pieces. I could see why people are impressed with this ride though.
Videos don’t do it justice. I rode it a few times on my visit and I’d take Symbolica over Rat or Antarctica any day...we’ll see if Runaway Railway can turn out as whimsical and fun...

Symbolica is light years better than Nemo or Mermaid.

ObscurityPoint

I could see this ride being a mix of a traditional carousel with technology used in Mystic Manor/MAMRR- like the walls break apart and reveal the characters in different settings, the sky, underwater, etc., with similar animation like the kind used in Mary Poppins Returns.

BrianLo

Mystic Manor > Symbolica > Ratatouille > Mermaid > Nemo (real world opinions)

The spending issues are certainly notable when a competitor can still eek in a silver for a fraction of the price. But, I'm not the one commissioning WDI. WDI has always had a spending problem compared to the competitors, for better or worse, since day one.

I have spoken.

No Name

Disney could never build Symbolica for anywhere remotely close to what it cost Efteling. That’s the real issue here. Ratatouille costs around 6 times what Symbolica cost. Many folks would take Symbolica over Ratatouille any day. But everyone and their pet dog would take 6 Symbolica-level attractions over Ratatouille. As both a customer and investor it’s unfortunate how far out of control Disney’s spending has gotten, because they should be getting a lot more bang for their buck.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I think it catered to intelligent/inquisitive children who liked learning.

I'm not even sure it's about children vs. adults (other than the drinking in the World Showcase). I'm pretty sure the people who didn't like it as kids still didn't really like it as adults, and the people who loved it as adults would have still loved it as kids. I know it was my favorite Disney park when I was 8.
It has been my favorite since 1989. Can confirm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom